165th Airlift Squadron [165th AS]
The 165th Fighter Squadron was created on May 24, 1946 as part of a nationwide redesignation of World War II U.S. Army Air corps units. Under War Department orders, the insignia, World War II battle credits and honors of the 168th Fighter Group and 359th Fighter squadron were transferred to the Kentucky National Guard, with federal recognition coming on February 16, 1947. The 123rd designation actually dates to the 123rd Cavalry Regiment, which can trace its lineage back to the 2nd Cavalry Regiment. The latter unit fought in the Civil War.
Although the 165th Tactical Airlift Squadron, the wing's flying component, was not federally mobilized for Operations Desert Shield and Desert Storm, unit volunteers stepped forward to support the war effort. From August 1990 to March 1991, the 165th flew 1,240 airlift sorties worldwide in direct support of the Gulf War -- the most for any Air National Guard unit. An additional 88 wing members were activated in support of Desert Shield/Storm.
The 165th AS began transition to the C-130H aircraft in 1992.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|