150th Air Refueling Squadron [150th ARS]
Although the newest of the NJ ANG's three flying squadrons, the 150th ARS has a long history of flying large multi-engine aircraft in the airlift and air refueling role.
Activated on 1 February 1956, as the 150th Air Transport Squadron, at Newark Airport New Jersey with Curtiss C-46 Commandos and successively flying C-119, C-121 transports in the airlift and aeromedical airlift mission.
On 18 January 1964 the 170th Air Transport Group was activated to command the 150th ATS and in July 1965 the unit moved to McGuire AFB. 1973 saw the group transition to the C-7 Caribou becoming the 150th Tactical Airlift Squadron and 170th Tactical Airlift Group.
In 1977 upon the receipt of Boeing KC-135 Stratotankers the units became the 170th Air Refueling Group and 150th Air Refueling Squadron.
On 1 October 1993 the 170th Air Refueling Group was deactivated and the 150th became the second squadron of the 108th ARW.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|