14th Fighter Squadron [14th FS]
(Base Code: WW)
The 14th Reconnaissance Squadron formed at Colorado Springs, Colorado in 1942 flying the Lockheed F-5A, a modified version of the P-38 Lightning.
The squadron moved to England and flew its first combat mission on August 12, 1943. In November, the 14th received Supermarine Spitfires and in April 1945, North American P-51D Mustangs to provide self escort capability. It operated all three aircraft types throughout the war. The squadron flew the first reconnaissance missions over Berlin and earned seven campaign streamers and a Distinguished Unit Citation.
Deactivated after hostilities, the squadron weathered the post-war 1940s and turbulent 1950s with a series of brief calls to duty. It reactivated in October, 1966 at Bergstrom AFB, Texas as the 14th Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron flying the McDonnell Douglas RF-4C Phantom II.
Arriving at Udorn RTAFB, Thailand in October, 1967, the 14th commenced operations over Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia in June 1975.
Reactivated in January 1987 at Misawa AB, Japan, the 14th Tactical Fighter Squadron returned to its Lockheed roots flying the F-16C Fighting Falcon. Aptly nicknamed the "Fightin' Samurai" for their warrior spirit, the unit became the 14th Fighter Squadron in late 1991.
It has operated several F-16C variants in a wide range of air-to-air and air-to-ground roles. Its Block 50 aircraft provide improved capabilities to combat radar-guided surface threats, while maintaining unmatched all around agility and lethality.
To honor the 35th Fighter Wing's "Wild Weasel" heritage, the squadron traded its renowned "MJ" tail code for a "WW", in June 1996.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|