141st Air Refueling Squadron [141st ARS]
The 141st was established in 1917 as the 141st Aero Provisional Squadron at Rockwell Field, California. The 141st saw combat in France during WWI and is credited with shooting down two enemy aircraft.
The 141st Fighter Squadron was activated on 26 May 1946 at Mercer County Airport New Jersey, flying Republic F-47 Thunderbolts. Although called to active duty during the Korean War the unit did not leave the United States. When the unit exchanged its F-51 Mustangs for F-86 Sabers in 1954 they also moved to McGuire AFB.
During the 1961 Berlin Crisis the 141st deployed to Chaumont AB France with its F-84, returning to the U.S. on August 17, 1962. October 15, 1962, saw the activation of the 108th Tactical Fighter Group to command the 141st Tactical Fighter Squadron. In April 1964, the unit switched over to the Republic F-105 Thunderchief which it would fly until 1981 and the arrival of the McDonald Douglas F-4 Phantom. The 141st flew F-4s until 1992 as one of the last air force F-4 units.
The first KC-135 arrived on September 27, 1991 and on 19 October the unit became the 141st Air Refueling Squadron and 108th Air Refueling Wing respectively.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|