137th Airlift Squadron [137th AS]
The 137th Airlift Squadron traces its origins to the 137th Fighter Squadron. On June 24, 1948, the 137th Fighter Squadron of the New York Air National Guard received Federal recognition and began operations at the Westchester County Airport in White Plains, New York. The unit was initially equipped with F-47 "Thunderbolt" aircraft. In September of 1952, the unit was redesignated the 137th Fighter Interceptor Squadron and received the F-51 "Mustang" aircraft as well as a new air defense mission.
In 1953, the unit entered the "Jet Age" when it received the F-94 "Starfighter" all weather interceptor. The unit retained its air defense mission until 1958 when it converted to the famed F-86 "Saber Jet". In February of 1961, the unit was redesignated as the 105th Aeromedical Transport Group and received its first C-119 "Flying Boxcar" aircraft. The unit later converted to the C-97 "Stratocruiser," a four-engine strategic transport and participated in world-wide missions including support of Southeast Asia operations.
In 1970, the unit's mission was changed to conducting forward air control and communications missions flying the O-2A "Skymaster" aircraft for the Tactical Air Command. In May of 1983, the unit relocated to Stewart International Airport. In July, 1985 the 137th became the first (and it remains the only) ANG unit in the Nation to fly the C-5 "Galaxy" aircraft.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|