134th Fighter Squadron [134th FS]
The 134th Fighter Squadron was first assigned to the 101st Fighter Group, 67th Fighter Wing in 1947. The charter group or 27 WWII veterans met in the "little red brick school house" near the present General Aviation hangars on Airport Drive. Flying was accomplished in three T-6 trainers, a C-47, and an L-5. The mechanics did their repairs outside on the tarmac. The primary mission of the unit was air defense with a secondary mission of ground attack. The 134th received P-47s in 1947 and numbered 150 officers and enlisted men. The first summer field training was held at Camp Johnson, Winooski and flying training was accomplished at the airport.
The 134th transitioned to the P-51 Mustang in July of 1950 and by the end of the year was the only squadron in the country with its full quota of personnel.
The unit was called to active duty on February 1, 1951. Upon activation, the squadron remained at Burlington and Fort Ethan Allen became the support base with medics, motor pool, supply, and a mess hall. The unit became an integral part of the Eastern Air Defense structure. Many members served in Korea as well as in other areas of the world with the United States Air Force during this period. The unit was released from active duty on October 31st, 1952 and returned to state control.
In 1953, the 134th, which was operating out of the old airport administration building and the wooden hangar next to it, received its first T-33. This was the beginning of the conversion to the F-94 Starfire, an all-weather two seat fighter. The back seat was occupied by a radar observer; a new dimension for the Green Mountain Boys.
The aging F-94s were replaced by twin-engine F-89D Scorpion fighters in 1958. Two years later F-89Js replaced the D models. The J model was designed to carry two Genie nuclear missiles under the wings to defend against enemy bomber attack.
In mid August of 1965 the unit began transitioning into the single seat, single engine F-102.
The 134th Fighter Interceptor Squadron placed third in the William Tell Weapons Meet in October of 1972.
The unit received 20 EB-57 Canberras in 1974. These two seat, two engine aircraft were equipped with electronic counter-measures and chaff emitting equipment. The new mission was to act as the "friendly enemy" to evaluate both air and ground radar systems. This mission took pilots, electronic warfare officers, and maintenance personnel all over the United States, Canada, and as far as Iceland, Korea, and Japan. The unit provided direct operational training of Air Defense aircrews in the accomplishment of their mission when their systems were severely degraded as might be expected during an attack by enemy offensive aircraft.
The unit began a transition to the F-4D Phantom in 1980, a powerful, two seat, two engine fighter.
On April 1st, 1986, the flight line of the Green Mountain Boys changed with the arrival of the F-16 Fighting Falcon. This was the most modern state-of-the-art fighter in the Air Force inventory. Two F-16s intercepted two Soviet TU-95D Bear Bombers over the Atlantic Ocean on March 1st. This intercept brought the total of intercepted aircraft to 31 since April 1988.
The 134th began converting to F-16Cs in February 1994. Vermont was the first unit to receive the C models which feature more sophisticated radar and electronic components.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|