133rd Air Refueling Squadron [133rd ARS]
The 133rd Air refueling Squadron traces its origins to the 529th Bomber Squadron (Light), constituted in January 1942 and activated in march 1942 at at Will Rogers Field, OK.
Relocating to India to take part in the CBI theater of operations during the course of World War II, the squadron was redesignated as the 529th Fighter Bomber Squadron and assigned to the 311th Fighter Group, Tenth Air Force. The squadron inactivated at Ft Lawton, WA, in January 1946.
Reconsituted, the squadron was redesignated as the 133rd Fighter Squadron, allotted to the New Hampshire NG on May 24, 1946 and federally recognized on April 4, 1947. Though called to active duty as a result of the Korean War, the squadron remained stationed at home.
The 133rd converted to the C-97A aircraft in 1960. Activated the following year, the squadron took part in the Berlin Airlift. In early 1966, the 133rd relocated to Pease AFB. The squadron converted to the C-124C in December 1967, later replaced by the C-130A aircraft in 1971.
1975 saw the squadron's mission change to an air refueling one as it transitioned to the KC-135A in mid--1975, later replaced by the KC-135E in 1984. Redesignated as the 133rd AREFS on 1 October 1975, the squadron became assigned to Strategic Air Command.
The 133rd was called to active duty as a result of Operations Desert Shield/Storm in December 1990. Following its release from active duty, the unit became assigned to Air Mobility Command in 1992 and redesignated as the 133rd Air Refueling Squadron.
The 133rd ARS converted to the LC-135 R in 1993. That same year saw the squadron deploy to Moron AB, Spain in support of Operation Restore Hope.
The squadron deployed to Turkey in support of Operation Northern Watch in 1997 and 1999.
The 133rd Air Refueling Squadron was the 2nd unit in the Air Guard to update its KC-135R aircraft with the new "Glass Cockpit" Pacer CRAG modification.
As of April 2001, the 133rd was scheduled to participate in a limited way in a Keflavik, Iceland, AEF deployment in support of the Icelandic Defense Forces; to Geilenkirchen AB, Germany, as part of NATO; and on December 1 to Turkey as part of a significant AEF deployment.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|