126th Air Refueling Squadron [126th ARS]
The 126th AIr Refueling Squadron orignally activated on 12 November 1940 as the 126th Observation Squadron, flying the O-47 aircraft. Ordered to active duty, the squadron was tasked with conducting antisubmarine missions. The squadron inactivated on 18 October 1942.
It was reorganized as the 126th Reconnaissance Squadron (Fighter) on 2 April 1943 and was redesignated as the 34th Photographic Reconnaissance Squadron on 11 August 1943. Assigned to the 10th Photographic Group, the squadron deployed to England in March 1944, operating the F-5 aircraft. The squadron as inactivated on in Germany on 22 November 1945.
The squadron was reactivated as the 126th Fighter Squadron and received federal recognition in mid-1947. The squadron was called to active duty as a result of the Korean War. Redesignated as the 126th Fighter Interceptor Squadron, the 126th's mission was changed to an air refueling one in 1961. The following year, the squadron transitionned to the KC-97 aircraft.
The 126th transitionned to the KC-135E in the 1980s before converting to the KC-135R the followign decade.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|