11th Airlift Squadron [11th AS]
The 11th Airlift Squadron was constituted as the 11th Air Corps Ferrying Squadron on 18 February 1942, activated on 16 April 1942 at Hensley Field, TX, and assigned to the Middle West Sector, Domestic Wing, AAF Ferrying Command (later, 5th Ferrying Group). It relocated to Love Field, TX, on 8 September 1945 and was redesignated 11th Ferrying Squadron on 12 May 1943. During that time, the squadron was tasked with ferrying aircraft to modification centers and tactical units mostly within CONUS. The unit was disbanded on 1 April 1944.
It was reconstituted, and consolidated, on 19 September 1985, with the 11th Aeromedical Transport Squadron, Light, which had been constituted on 18 October 1956 and activated on 8 November 1956 at Scott AFB, IL, as a unit of the 1st Aeromedical Transport Group, flying the C-131 (1956-1970) and the C-118 (1956-1970). The squadron's mission was to provide Aeromedical airlift.
The squadron was reassigned to the 1405th Aeromedical Transport Wing, on 8 June 1964 and redesignated a month later, on 25 July 1964, as the 11th Aeromedical Transport Squadron.
Upon its reassignment to the 375th Aeromedical Airlift (later, 375th Military Airlift) Wing, on 12 January 1966, the squadron's designation was changed to 11th Aeromedical Airlift Squadron. The squadron added the C-9 to its aircraft inventory in 1968.
The squadron was also tasked, from 1986-1987, with the transport of wounded Afghan soldiers and civilians.
The 11th was reassigned to the 375th Operations Group, 1 December 1991 while its designation was changed to 11th Airlift Squadron on 1 October 1993.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|