108th Air Refueling Squadron [108th ARS]
The 108th Air Refueling Squadron was originally activated on 1 July 1927 as the 108th Observation Squadron and assigned to the 33rd Division, flying PT-1 aircraft.
The unit was ordered to active duty on 8 February 1941, it was later assigned to the 72nd Observation Group and deployed to Panama in early 1942. The squadron was tasked with antisumbamarine, photographic and liaison missions, primarily using the O-47 aircraft. The unit was deactivated on 1 November 1943.
With World War II over, the 108th was reassigned to the Illinois National Guard and federally recognized on 19 January 1947. It was redesignated as the 108th Bombardment Squadron (Light) and statioinned at the Chicago Muniicpal Airport.
As a result of the Korean War, the squadron was called to active duty on 1 April 1951, and later deployed to Europe to reinforce NATO forces stationned there. Following this, the squadron was redesignated as the 108th Fighter-Bomber Squadron, and again as the 108th Fighter Interceptor Squadron in 1955.
On 1 July 1961, the 108th's mission was changed to an air refueling one and was assigned the KC-97 aircraft. The unit converted to the KC-135A in late 1976, later upgraded to the KC-135E version.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|