Group Atlantic City
Group-Air Station Atlantic City is the largest and northern-most Group in CG District Five, it became operational 18 May, 1998. The Group is located at the William J. Hughes Federal Aviation Administration Technical Center at the Atlantic City International Airport, New Jersey. Its goal is to make available information on Coast Guard Group-Air Station missions and activities as well as information on the many other activities of the U.S. Coast Guard nationwide.
Group-Air Station Atlantic City in its present form is the result of a Coast Guard aviation streamlining initiative to realign unit location with the capabilities of today's modern aircraft. Air Station Brooklyn, New York and Group-Air Station Cape May, New Jersey resources were combined at the newly constructed $13 million facility at Atlantic City International Airport, which opened June 8, 1998.
The first lifesaving stations along the New Jersey coastline were built in 1849 in response to a rash of deadly shipping accidents. The term "Group" was first coined in reference to this string of lifesaving stations from Barnegat to Cape May, New Jersey. In 1969, Cape May became a Group-Air Station when three helicopters were stationed there under the command of the Group Commander. Originally, organized into two separate group offices based in Atlantic City and Cape May, these command structures were combined in 1982.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|