Department for National Statehood Protection and Combating Terrorism (DZND)
On December 11, 1998, the Antiterrorist Center (ATC) was been created according to the Decree of the President of Ukraine. This standing body within the SBU is responsible for coordination of Ukrainian executive authorities' activities for the prevention and preclusion of terrorist acts against state officials and sensitive public infrastructure installations or extra-hazardous facilities, in particular acts that can endanger the lives and health of a considerable number of people.
The ATC has the following tasks:
- to collect, process, analyze, and evaluate information on terrorist intentions and acts;
- to develop antiterrorist concepts and programs;
- to draft arrangements for preventing and precluding terrorist acts;
- to provide coordination and methodological support of antiterrorist task force personnel training in the Security Service of Ukraine, the Ministry of the Interior of Ukraine, the Directorate for State Protection of Ukraine, the Frontier Troops of Ukraine, and the Emergency Ministry of Ukraine; and
- to interact with foreign secret services and law enforcement authorities on issues related to combating terrorism.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|