ASB - Anti-Smuggling Bureau
General Administration of Customs [GAC] maritime enforcement personnel number about two thousand. Thus the GAC constitutes one of the smallest dragons, measured by manpower. Interestingly, a June 2009 article in a Chinese military newspaper suggested that the GAC has up to 212 fast patrol boats to employ against smugglers, but this figure is difficult to verify.China Customs is a government agency that supervises and manages all arrivals in and departures from the customs territory of the mainland of the People's Republic of China. It exercises a centralized management structure. Its essential tasks are customs control, revenue collection, fighting smuggling and foreign trade statistics compilation. It shoulders such major responsibilities as duty collection, customs control, supervision and management of bonded operations,foreign trade statistics compilation, audit-based control, customs intellectual property rights protection, fighting smuggling, and port management. China Customs is a full-ministerial-level government agency that directly reports to the State Council of People’s Republic of China. Its essential tasks are Customs control on transport vessels and merchandise, customs tariff collection, fighting smuggling and foreign trade statistics compilation. China Customs exercises a centralized management structure, which is composed of three levels. The first level includes the General Administration of Customs, Guangdong Sub-Administration of Customs, Tianjin and Shanghai Supervising Offices. The second level includes 41 Customs regions and 2 Customs educational institutions. The third level refers to 562 Customs houses. The Customs regions directly report to the General Administration of Customs, while the customs houses report directly to the respective customs regions. As of 2013 the number of the staff of China Customs was around 48,000, supervising 253 ports in China. The annual tariff collected hits $79.2 billion. A Customs rank system is adopted in China Customs. In 2007, China Customs verified 49.076 million import & export declarations, exerted control over 2.43 billion tonnage merchandise, which were valued $315.05 billion, processed 350 million entries and exits of passengers. There were 106 million express consignment items passing China customs in 2007. China Customs is the competent anti-smuggling authority of Chinese government. In 1998, China established a Customs anti-smuggling police force. China customs has always carried out a heavy-handed policy in fighting against smuggling and effectively put a curb on the development momentum of the large-scale smuggling activities in terms of adopting both criminal and administrative law enforcement means. In the past five years, a total of 55,400 smuggling cases were ferreted out, involving a value of RMB49.58 billion. All together, 3228.9 kilograms of drugs were seized. Main duties:
- Investigating the smuggling cases and administrative smuggling and law-breaking cases according to the law within the customs territory of PRC Customs
- Conducting investigations, making detentions and arrests and carrying out preliminary inquiries in accordance with the law to suspects involved in smuggling cases, handing over the cases to inspection agency for prosecution after investigation
- Investigating, trial and making administrative punishments of the smuggling acts that do not break the law, break the law but not forming crime and break the regulations of the customs
- Receiving and handling the smuggling and administrative illegal cases handed over by local police station, business and financial administrative, tobacco exclusive agency and other administrative agencies
- Handling and participating in the appealing, reconsideration, lawsuit and compensation related to customs smuggling suppressing department (administrative reconsideration is in the charge of law department of the customs), accepting the persecution and accusation, making feedback of the investigation and presenting award and exerting punishment
- Punishing the acts resisting and preventing the work of smuggling suppressing department and handing over the severe and crime-involving cases to local police station
- Undertaking the major smuggling cases commissioned by the State Council, General Customs Administration, the Ministry of Public Security and other affairs
- In charge of the comprehensive treatment of anti-smuggling and analysis of anti-smuggling situations, contacting the anti-smuggling department of different levels, administrative management departments, industrial governing departments, economic governing department and grand groups
- First, goals of this activity include taking the spirit of the National Conference of Customs Directors as guide, correctly mastering new situations and requirements of management construction and team construction of customs anti-smuggling departments, following the overall requirements of “unifying thought, clarifying goals, discovering risk, analyzing causes and implementing reforms,” conducting comprehensive investigations on law enforcement and clean administration risks among customs anti-smuggling departments at all levels and analyzing the causes, realizing the goals of further raising awareness, perfecting institutions, improving reform measures and strengthening management, gradually enforcing reform measures and establishing institutional and standardized working mechanisms against “two risks.”
- Second, major tasks include three aspects. First is to conduct wide-range mobilization to deepen awareness; second is to investigate risks and analyze reasons; third is to perfect institutions and strengthen management.
- Third, work requirements include implementing leadership responsibility system, widely mobilizing the masses; investigating existing problems, analyzing typical cases, intensifying information exchange, ensuring actual results, promoting daily work and strengthening supervision and inspection.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|