August 2021 Intelligence News
- Statement by President Joe Biden on the Investigation into the Origins of COVID-19 The White House 27 Aug 2021
- Grand Forks AFB to lead future ISR missions US Air Force 26 Aug 2021 -- The Department of the Air Force announced today it will conduct infrastructure planning in 2022 for construction and renovation projects at Grand Forks Air Force Base, North Dakota, projected to begin in 2023.
- Biden receives 'inconclusive' intelligence report on Covid-19 origin Press TV 25 Aug 2021 -- US President Joe Biden has received a classified report that shows the country's intelligence community has been unable to identify the origin of the coronavirus.
- Russia Accuses Ukrainian Of Espionage RFE/RL 23 Aug 2021 -- Russian authorities have detained a Ukrainian citizen on suspicion of espionage in the city of Tula, some 200 kilometers south of Moscow.
- Former Air Force general suspected in Chinese spy ring out on bail CNA 19 Aug 2021 -- Two retired Air Force officers, including a former major general, were released on bail Thursday morning after overnight questioning by prosecutors about their alleged involvement in a Chinese espionage ring.
- Chinese Hackers Used Cyber-disguising Technology Against Israel, Report Finds VOA 18 Aug 2021 -- A major cybersecurity firm says it believes Beijing-backed hackers carried out cyberattacks on Israel while pretending to be operating from Israel's archrival, Iran.
- Researchers Spot Deep Fake Profile Photos Linked to Pro-China Twitter Accounts Radio Free Asia 12 Aug 2021 -- Researchers in the United Kingdom have discovered a coordinated network of "deep-fake" social media accounts pushing the Chinese Communist Party (CCP)'s views in the guise of ordinary account-holders.
- Russia arrests top hypersonic research scientist suspected of treason Press TV 12 Aug 2021 -- Russia has arrested the head of a research institute specializing in hypersonic technology on suspicion of state treason, Russian media report.
- Russia Detains Hypersonic Flight Expert In Treason Case RFE/RL 12 Aug 2021 -- Russian authorities have detained the head of an institute researching hypersonic flight on charges of high treason.
- Moscow Court Orders Hypersonic Tech Expert Kuranov Into Custody in Treason Case Sputnik 12 Aug 2021 -- A Moscow district court on Thursday ordered a 73-year-old hypersonic technology scientist to be held in custody on suspicion of state treason.
- Lithuanian Official Confirms Important Data Stolen From Country's Foreign Ministry Sputnik 12 Aug 2021 -- Asta Skaisgiryte, the chief foreign policy adviser to Lithuanian President Gitanas Nauseda confirmed on Thursday that the country's foreign ministry was hacked and important documents were stolen, and speculated that they might be linked to the recent civil unrest.
- Spyware: Rights experts push for surveillance technology moratorium UN News 12 Aug 2021 -- A group of UN-appointed experts on Thursday called for a moratorium on the sale of surveillance technology, warning against the danger of allowing the sector to operate as "a human rights-free zone."
- Germany Arrests British Embassy Worker Accused of Spying for Russia VOA 11 Aug 2021 -- German authorities said Wednesday that they had arrested a British citizen and accused him of spying for Russia while working at the British Embassy in Berlin.
- Arrest of British embassy worker in Germany draws attention to MI5 failure Press TV 11 Aug 2021 -- The arrest of a British embassy worker in Germany on suspicion of selling secrets to Russia's Foreign Intelligence Service (SVR) is a major embarrassment to the British Security Service (MI5), not least because the drama is unfolding at a delicate time in Anglo-Russian relations.
- Germany arrests Briton suspected of 'spying for Russia' Press TV 11 Aug 2021 -- A British embassy worker has been arrested in Germany on suspicion of spying for Russia, following a joint operation by German and British authorities.
- UK Citizen Suspected of Spying for Russian Intelligence Detained in Germany Sputnik 11 Aug 2021 -- The arrest was made on 10 August in the German city of Potsdam, with searches having been carried out in the suspect's apartment and workplace.
- US $10B secret military, intelligence contract awarded to Amazon Press TV 11 Aug 2021 -- American multinational technology company Amazon has managed to clinch a $10B secret military contract with the the National Security Agency (NSA).
- CIA Director in Israel as Biden Administration Mulls Interim Iran Deal VOA 10 Aug 2021 -- The director of the U.S. Central Intelligence Agency, William Burns, is in Israel for talks that officials say will focus primarily on Iran. His arrival Tuesday comes amid rapidly rising tensions in the region and a drone strike on an Israeli-managed oil tanker in the Gulf of Oman, which Western governments blame on Tehran.
- DNI Haines Holds Joint Intelligence Community Council Director of National Intelligence 09 Aug 2021 -- Director of National Intelligence Avril Haines late Friday convened the Joint Intelligence Community Council (JICC) to promote and strengthen coordinated Intelligence Community support to the existing interagency efforts to address anomalous health incidents (AHI) affecting U.S. Government personnel and their families.
- Spying Gets Craftier as China, Taiwan Up Use of Cyber Tools VOA 08 Aug 2021 -- Espionage between Taiwan and China has grown more sophisticated because of fewer people-to-people exchanges and more use of cyber tools, as relations between the two remain chill, analysts in Taipei say.
- Russia expels second Estonian diplomat amid espionage dispute Press TV 03 Aug 2021 -- Russia has expelled a second Estonian diplomat in a tit-for-tat move following the expulsion of a Russian diplomat from the Western-aligned country on spying allegations last month.
- Russian Foreign Ministry Expels Estonian Embassy Staffer Sputnik 03 Aug 2021 -- The Russian Foreign Ministry summoned Estonian ambassador Margus Laidre to express protest over the recent expulsion of a Russian diplomat and to announce that a staffer of the Estonian embassy has to leave the country within seven days.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|