Kuwait to execute 2 on allegations of 'spying'
Iran Press TV
Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:28PM
A court in Kuwait has sentenced two people, including an Iranian, to death over allegations that they had been 'spying for Iran' and planning attacks in the Persian Gulf country.
The verdict was issued on Tuesday for the Iranian, identified as Abdulreza Haydar, on trial along with 25 Kuwaitis on charges of spying for Tehran and hiding of arms and ammunition in underground depots.
The court claimed that Haydar had recruited the Kuwaiti nationals and helped them to travel to Lebanon to receive military training from Lebanon's resistance movement Hezbollah.
The other man condemned to death, Kuwaiti Hasan Abdulhadi Ali, was found guilty of being 'the mastermind of the cell."
Authorities handed down life imprisonment sentence to another defendant, while 19 received jail terms between five and 15 years. Three were acquitted and one was fined 5,000 dinars (USD 16,500).
The court also alleged that the defendants spied for Hezbollah, smuggled in and assembled explosives, and were in possession of firearms and ammunition.
Iran has yet to comment on the allegations made by the Kuwaiti court.
Kuwaiti officials last August claimed that they had disbanded a cell linked to Iran and seized large quantities of arms, explosives and ammunition.
The trial began in September during which all 23 defendants present in court dismissed the charges brought against them and said they had confessed under torture.
In reaction, Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister for Arab and African Affairs Hossein Amir-Abdollahian dismissed as completely baseless allegations leveled in Kuwait against the Islamic Republic.
The Iranian embassy in Kuwait also in a statement dismissed accusations linking Tehran to the cell and said a "systematic" media campaign is underway to harm the relationship between the two countries.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|