Pakistani court rejects bail for US man
IRNA - Islamic Republic News Agency
Islamabad, Feb 28,IRNA -- A court in Pakistan Monday dismissed the bail application of an American national, who was arrested in northwest on Friday for illegal stay, court officials said.
Police sources said that Aaron Mark De Haven was working for a private security company.
De Haven had moved a bail application in a local court in Peshawar but the court rejected the application saying the U.S. national had no travel documents and his visa was also expired in October last year a government lawyer Javed Ali said.
Defence lawyer, Sardar Raza, of the American national said he will appeal in the higher court. The court rejected arguments from the defence lawyer that De Haven should be freed as he had no criminal record in the past.
The American embassy has already sought counselor access to De Haven and diplomats have met him in prison, the U.S. embassy says.
A court in Peshawar on Saturday sent De Haven to jail on a 14-day judicial remand.
The second U.S. national was arrested at a time when relations between Pakistan and the United States are already under stress over the last moth arrest of an undercover CIA agent in the city of Lahore.
Raymond Davis, who is facing double murder charges, will be formally chargesheeted on March 3.
The United States is demanding Davis release, saying he enjoys diplomatic immunity. Pakistan says that court will decide his diplomatic status.
Police say De Haven is a security firm ?Catalyst Services’, which provides security and accommodation to foreigners working on development projects in the region.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|