Basilio Fernando Air Base
Lipa Air Base
Lieutenant Colonel Basilio Fernando Air Base is the site of the Philippine Air Force's (PAF) pilot training and education facilities. It features a single, 5,000 foot long runway, several training schools, barracks, and hospital. It is also home to PAF maintenance facilities. It is located near the small city of Lipa, which is about 40 miles southeast of metro Manila. (Coordinates: 13o57'30 N, 121o07'50 E)
The facility was constructed by the Japanese military in 1942 and was used throughout World War II. Afterwards, the airfield immediately came under Philippine control and was named Lipa Air Base. On 2 May 2 1948, it was turned over to the newly created Philippine Air Force and renamed Lieutenant Colonel Basilio Fernando Air Base in honor of a Philippine Lieutenant Colonel who had died during an airplane training accident in the US in 1946.
The base was used to train Philippine airmen. There were 3 different learning/training facilities on base: The Air Force Flying School, the Technical Training Center, and the NCO Academy, which conducted continuing education for NCO's. These facilities were staffed with instructors from the 100th Training Wing until 22 September 1999, when the functions were subsumed by the Air Education and Training Command.
The 440th Aircraft Maintenance Group, instructional elements of the Air Education Training Command, and the 740th Combat Group (ground special forces) were stationed at Fernando AB. Only training aircraft fly out of the base, which include T-41D's and SF.260's. Fifteen of the former were received from South Korea in March 2009 and were subsequently based at Fernando AB.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|