10th Infantry Division (Motorized)
Reports from the 1950s indicate that this division may have been formed at Sukchon as early as March or April 1950 and consisted of a cadre of experienced People's Army officers and NCO's and new recruits. From the date of its formation to 25 June, it trained at Sukchon, then moved to Chaeryong for a month's training under Soviet advisors in night fighting and mountain warfare. It then moved via Seoul, Taejon, Kunsan, and Kumchon, arriving in the Tilksong area about 10 August. The unit was originally composed of the 25th, 27th and 29th Regiment in addition to an artillery regiment, though the Korea Insititute of Military History indicates that the unit may haveen established with the 107th Regiment rather than the 29th Infantry and that it also included an unidentified armor regiment. KIMH also indicates that at the nucleus of the division was the 2nd Democratic Youth League Training Center in South P'yongan Province.
The artillery regiment of the 10th Division was activated at Sukch'on in mid-March 1950. Training under Soviet supervision was conducted there and later at P'yongyang. On 15 July two battalions of the regiment were transferred to the 8th Division. These units were replaced by two underequipped and recently organized battalions when the division passed through Seoul on its way to the front.
Upon initial commitment on 12 August against the UN Naktong River Line, the 10th Division was heavily engaged and suffered considerable loss of personnel and equipment in the fighting in the Songju - Koryong Sector. The fact that in one reported instance all artillery pieces and ammunition of one of the rifle battalions were either captured or destroyed may serve as indication of the severity of the equipment loss. When, following a six-day battle in that area, the division was compelled to retreat northward on 25 Septmber, all remaining artillery pieces and ammunition were given a coat of grease, weapped in canvas and buried in an attempt to prevent their capture.
The 10th Division was reorganized in the ,
vicinity of Yanggu beginning around the middle of October and retained an artillery regiment in its organizational structure. However, when the division was recomitted in the communist New Year's offensive, that regiment was entirely lacking in weapons. Likewise, regimental and battalion artillery units were scantily equipped and possessed no weapons heavier that mortars. This probably finds its explanation in the guerilla mission that had been assigned to the 10th Division as part of the North Korean II Corps. In the following months the division suffered almost complete disintegration during which it lost most of its limited stock of artillery-type weapons. Only isolated elements managed to withdraw through UN lines and were subjected to a thoroough reorganization and retraining program in the vicinity of Kunch'on. As of Juno 1951, after the reconstituted 10th Division had been subordinated to IV Corps, reports indicate that artillery pieces had still not provided and armament in general remained extremely scarce.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|