The Fargo (CL-106) class light cruisers represented an improvement over the Cleveland (CL-55) class which corresponded to the improvements brought by the Oregon City (CA-122) class over the Baltimore (CA-68) class and the Juneau (CL-119) class over the Atlanta (CL-51) class cruisers. Thirteen ships of this class were authorized; CL-106 thru 115 would be built by New York Shipbuilding Co, Camden NJ and CL-116 thru 119 by Newport News Shipbuilding. Fargo (CL-106) and Huntington (CL-107) laid down in August and October 1943 respectively, were the only ships to be completed and commissioned though too late for service in World War II.
CL-112 thru 115 were cancelled on 5 October 1944 since labor shortages would have delayed their completion until 1947. On 12 August 1945, CL-108 thru 111 were cancelled though consideration was given was given to complete them as cruise liners; this was not to be and they were scrapped on the ways following the war. Newport News' four ships (CL-116 thru 119) suffered a similar fate.
This class was based on the Cleveland (CL-55) class design - the design of the superstructure was modified to improve the firing arc of the anti-aircraft battery. These ships had one larger funnel as opposed to the two in the Cleveland class. They were armed with four triple 6-inch/47 turrets, two forward and two aft, and six twin dual purpose 5-inch/38 guns. 28 40mm and 20 20mm AA guns rounded out their AA capability. They had an armored belt tapered from 1.5" to 5" thickness, 2-3" deck, 3-5" on main gun turrets, and 2.25-5" on the conning tower. They had two seaplane catapults aft with provisions for three aircraft.
Fargo was placed in reserve in Feb 1950, stricken in 1970 and sold for scrap in August 1971. Huntington went to reserve in June 1949, was stricken in 1961 and sold for scrap in June 1962.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|