CA-122 Oregon City
Eight Oregon City (CA-122) class heavy cruisers were authorized in FY1942. Four were cancelled at the end of World War II in August 1945 and the fourth unit was suspended during construction. In July 1948 construction was resumed and she was completed as a command ship; Northhampton (CLC-1).
The first three cruisers were commissioned in 1946. Oregon City (CA-122) would decommission the following year and remain in reserve until stricken in 1970. Albany (CA-123) was decommissioned in 1958 and converted to a guided missile cruiser assuming the designation CG-10 in November of that year. Rochester (CA-124) was decommissioned in 1961 and sold for scrap in 1974.
The class was a repeat of the Baltimore class with a newly designed superstructure, similar to the design of the Fargo class light cruisers and Juneau class anti-aircraft cruisers. CA-123 and 124 were completed with four dual 3-inch/70 mounts rather than 40mm armament.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|