The Iroquois was the first turbine power aircraft purchased by the Army and had the largest numbers produced of any helicopter for that era. It started out as the civilian Model 204 and was designated XH-40 when the first three prototypes were ordered. The first of these was flown by Floyd Carlson at Fort Worth on 22 October 1956. Before this first flight, a service test batch of six YH-40s had been ordered and these were delivered by August 1958. When the H-40 was ordered into production, it was redesignated HU-1A in the Army category for utility helicopters and officially named the Iroquois.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|