On 1 April 2005 Camp Page closed and preperations were made to transfer ownership of the facility to the Republic of Korea. This tranfer was completed in 2005. Mention of this shift was made in US-ROK Land Partnership Plan in 2002, when the expected date of closure was 2011.
Camp Page was located on the northwest side of the city of Chunchon in the north-central portion of the ROK. It lay in a river valley on the southeast bank of the Pukan River. The Taebaek Mountains in the area reach heights of 5,000 feet. Chinchon, some 60 miles northeast of Seoul, was a booming tourist city with lakes, mountain climbing, and Buddhist temples. A one way trip to Seoul from Camp Page, some 48 miles, took about 2 hours by car or bus. Its climate features included, on average, summers between 80 and 90 oF, winters between -5 and 30 oF, and 48-56" of rain during a rainy season between July and August.
Camp Page was the home of the Apache unit linked to the 2nd Infantry at the DMZ. Camp Page consisted of 157 acres supporting the 1st Battalion, 2nd Aviation Regiment and the 542nd Medical Company. The population of the camp was approximately 1300, with 700 of that being US Military personnel and 650 being civilians employed by the Department of the Army. When the facility closed it covered 145 acres with 173 buildings, 1,067 servicemembers and civilians in 15 tenant units. Its primary mission was to provide aviation support for 2nd Infantry Division.
Camp Page was one of the 42 camps north of Seoul authorized Hardship Duty Pay of $150 per month as of 1 January 2001. The Hardship Duty Pay is paid to troops who are permanently assigned to areas where it is authorized or who serve 30 consecutive days of temporary duty in those areas. Several factors are considered in determining whether a location qualified for the pay: climate, physical and social isolation, sanitation, disease, medical facilities, housing, food, recreational and community facilities, political violence, harassment and crime. The extra pay provides meaningful financial recognition to troops assigned in areas where living conditions are substantially below US standards.
A Housing Office and Education Center were provided at Camp Page. Family Employment Assistance and Family Quarters were not available. All but 76 of the Division's soldiers served one-year unaccompanied tours. All soldiers lived in on-post quarters.
Camp Page was named in honor of Lieutenant Colonel John U.D. Page, United States Army, who was posthumously awarded the congressional medal of honor and the Navy Cross for Gallantry while serving with Marine units during the breakout from bloody Chosen reservoir in 1950. Realizing the extreme danger to the stationary convoy while under relentless fire of the enemy forces commanding high ground on both sides of the road, Lieutenant Colonel Page bravely fought his way to the head of the column accompanied by a marine private. Undaunted by point-blank machine-gun fire, he continued directly into the hostiles strong point, taking 30 of the enemy completely by surprise and inflicting severe causalities among them. With the marine private wounded by a hand grenade, Lieutenant Colonel Page ordered him to withdraw and provided him with covering fire, fiercely continuing to engage the enemy single-handedly and killing 12 of them before he was mortally wounded. By his valiant and aggressive fighting spirit in the face of overwhelming odds during this self-imposed mission, he was directly responsible for disrupting the hostile attack, there by making it possible for the members of his convoy to regroup, redeploy and fight off succeeding attacks. His outstanding courage, self-sacrificing efforts and unwavering devotion to duty reflect the highest credit upon Lieutenant Colonel Page and the United States Armed Forces. He gallantly gave his life for his country.
In 1951, Eighth US Army engineers prepared the runway in a burned out section of a newly recaptured town, at what would become Camp Page.
On 30 January 1958 the last units of the 100th Field Artillery Rocket Battalion arrived from Japan taking up headquarters at what was known as Camp Page. Subsequently the Battalion was joined by Infantry, Engineer, Signal and Supply units and was redesigned the 4th Missile Command, a major subordinate command of the Eighth United States Army. The "Last of a Breed," the 4th Missile Command celebrated its 20th and final anniversary on 27 April 1978 and was totally inactivated in June 1978. Only the Weapons Support Detachment-Korea was retained to carry on the rites of St. Barber, and it to was inactivated in September of 1990.
The $11 billion in enhancements that the United States military put into the forces in Korea included equipment such as the new tanks and unmanned aerial vehicles. This was part of the consolidation of the US footprint on the peninsula. The US collapsed into fewer camps on peninsula, which allowed the forces to be more effective. It allowed the US to return land and camps to the Korean government. One closure in the consolidation was Camp Page, closed in early 2005, the 9th camp closed in 8 months. To decide which ones to close and which ones to keep, US Forces Korea (USFK) looked at the Army's requirements and took into account the Korean government's wishes.
Central Post Information
- Dental Clinic
- Health Clinic
MWR Facilities Available:
- Recreation Center
- Arts & Crafts
- Swimming Pool
- Outdoor Tennis/Basketball
- Community Club
AAFES Facilities Available:
- Post Exchange
- Small Post Exchange
- Burger Bar
- Airline Ticket Office
- Taxi Stand
- Class VI Store
- Pizza Delivery
- Tailor Shop
General Area Information
National Parks and Resorts: Ample recreational activities. Chunchon is a popular Korean resort community. Also, there are many parks, resorts, historical sites and entertainment areas in Korea. Because of the country's size and excellent transortation system, all these sites are within a day's travel from anywhere in the Division area. On-post tour and travel offices, Morale, Welfare and Recreation offices, and the USO offer regular excursions.
Nearby Facilities and Places of Interest:
- Hunting = Available through Rod and Gun Club in Yongsan.
- Fishing = Available at nearby lakes (Fish not fit for human consumption)
- Skiing = Ample snow skiing available in local area.
- Swimming and Boating = Yachting, boating, and canoeing available at nearby lakes. Use on post swimming pools only.
The FASTBACK system that was replaced in Korea is reflective of the typical legacy mw systems used by the US Army to support worldwide long haul communication requirements. The FASTBACK system (seven individual links) provided a secure reliable means of transmitting bulk data collected along the Demilitarized Zone to command groups located in the southern part of the country. The equipment (i.e., radios and multiplexers) supporting the FASTBACK system had been in operation for over fifteen years, utilizing technology that was over twenty years old. The FASTBACK system consisted of an AN/FRC-162 radio and AN/FCC-97 multiplexer. In the late 1990s it was replaced by a high speed (155 Mbps) SONET digital microwave radio that utilize the digital data multiplexer (DDM)-2000 OC3 multiplexer. The Digital Microwave Upgrade DMU Phase I is a good example of what occurs when the link bandwidth is increased (8 DS1s to 84 DS1s (three 45 Mbps DS3)) with high speed SONET digital microwave and interface requirements to existing older, low speed mw technology. The Yongsan to Madison, Osan to Madison, and Camp Humphreys to Madison FASTBACK links were replaced during Phase I with the Harris MegaStar 2000 SONET radio. The remaining FASTBACK mw links between Madison and Kamaksan, Kangwhado, and Songnam, and Kamaksan and Yawolsan, were replaced during DMU Phase III. In conjunction with the DMU, the digital patch and access systems (DPAS) at Yongsan, Osan, and Camp Humphreys were upgraded to support up to three DS3s each.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|