The tri-base area constituting the 423d Air Base Squadron is composed of RAF Alconbury, RAF Molesworth and RAF Upwood, United Kingdom.
RAF Alconbury is in Cambridgeshire, primarily a farming and light industry area. The nearest large towns are Huntingdon, Peterborough, St. Ives, and Cambridge. London is a 45-minute train ride away. Cultural, theatrical, and sporting attractions abound in this area of England. RAF Alconbury has a Base Exchange, commissary, craft shop, Movie Theater, hobby shop, combined officers' and NCO club, and American banking facilities.
RAF Alconbury began as a satellite base for RAF Upwood in 1938 and was a satellite base for RAF Wyton during the early days of World War II. Various units of the US Army Air Corps, which later became the US Air Force, were tenant units to the Royal Air Force on RAF Alconbury over the next five years. Third Air Force took control of the base on August 24, 1951. Several administrative support units were stationed at Alconbury in the 1950s. Two operational flying units were also stationed at RAF Alconbury during the 1950s: the 86th Bomber Squadron with its B-45 Tornado bombers, and the 42nd Troop Carrier Squadron, which flew the C-47 Skytrain, C-54 Skymaster, and SA-16 Albatross. The 10th Tactical Reconnaissance Wing arrived from Spangdahlem AB, Germany, on 25 Aug 59.
On 01 October 1982, the Strategic Air Command 17th Reconnaissance Wing activated at RAF Alconbury and flew the TR-1 and U-2 Dragon Lady aircraft. The 17 RW inactivated in July 1991, but a subordinate unit, the 95th Reconnaissance Squadron, remained at Alconbury. The 95th Reconnaissance Squadron deactivated in 1993. In Aug 87 the 10 TRW was redesignated the 10th Tactical Fighter Wing, and the unit transitioned from the RF-4 and F-5E aircraft to the A-10 Thunderbolt II. After nearly five years of service at Alconbury--including serving in the Persian Gulf War--the A-10s departed Alconbury in the spring of 1992. The 10 TFW was redesignated 10 ABW on 31 Mar 93. In Oct 94, 10 ABW was redesignated 710 ABW, which was deactivated on 12 Jul 95 as the 423 ABS stood up.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|