89th Airlift Wing [89th AW]
The 89th Airlift Wing provides comfortable and reliable worldwide airlift and logistical support for the President of the United States, the vice president, cabinet members and other high ranking U.S. and foreign government officials. In addition, the 89th is the host wing of Andrews AFB and provides quality customer service to the men and women of Team Andrews.
The wing traces its roots to October 1, 1948, when the 1254th Air Transport Wing was established at Washington National Airport. However, special mission or VIP flying began even earlier. The first truly "special mission" aircraft were specifically designated to transport high ranking government officials in 1936 with the activation of the 1st and 2nd Staff Squadrons at Bolling Air Force Base, DC.
In 1961, the 1254th Air Transport Wing was moved from Washington National Airport to Andrews Air Force Base where it was later discontinued in January 1966. In its place, the 89th MAW Special Missions was activated and assigned to Andrews Air Force Base until the wing became a group on September 30, 1977. In December 1980, the unit was once again redesignated the 89th MAW. On July 12, 1991, the 89th MAW merged with the 1776th Air Base Wing to become the 89th Airlift Wing. The airlift wing is an Air Mobility Command asset directly assigned to 21st Air Force, headquartered at McGuire AFB, NJ.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|