101st Fighter Squadron [101st FS]
The 101st Fighter Squadron was originally designated as the 101st Aero Squadron which was organized at Kelly Field, TX, on August 22, 1917. The squadron deployed to France where it was redesignated as the 639th Aero Squadron. The squadron was deactivated upon its return in the United State in April 1919.
The squadron was consolidated with the 101st Squadron which was activated as a Massachusetts National Guard unit in November 1921.
During World War II, the squadron took part in combat operations in Europe.
The squadron was redesignated as the 101st Fighter Squadron on July 29, 1946 and federally recognized as a unit of the Massachusetts National Guard.
The squadron was called to active duty as a result of the Berlin Crisis.
The squadron transitioned to the F-15 fighter in 1988.
The 101st, along with its parent unit, the 102nd Fighter Wing, was reassigned to Air Combat Command, in June 1992.
The 101st was deployed to Panama from 1991 to 1995, as part of Operation Coronet Nighthawk. The 101st also took part in the 1996 NORAD Exercise Amalgam Warrior 96-1.
The 101st FS, along with the 102nd FW, deployed in early 1999 for six weeks to Incirlik AB, Turkey, as part of Operation Northern Watch, enforcing the northern no-fly zone over Iraq.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|