Find a Security Clearance Job!

Military


149th Armor Brigade
"Never Defeated"

The 149th Armor Brigade is an armor heavy national guard brigade in the Commonwealth of Kentucky. The brigade contains three combat battalions (two armor, one mechanized infantry), one support battalion and the headquarters is in Louisville, Ky.

The brigade's mission in time of war is to either fight as a combined arms team with the parent unit, the 35th Infantry Division (Mechanized), or as an independent brigade.

The main combat power of the brigade is the two battalions equiped with the front line M-1 Abrams Main Battle Tanks. The infantry battalion is equiped with M-113 personnel carriers. The support battalion contains the maintenance, fuelers, armorers and all the other personnel needed to complete the mission.

The brigade spends most of the training time available in the field. The training year for the brigade includes twelve weekend drills and one two-week The tank battalions have two training cycles. One of the training cycles is gunnery for which the battalions spend the whole year training for and complete at Annual Training (AT)at Yano Range in Ft. Knox, Ky. The second type of training is tactics, for which the battalions practice all year and then take on active and national guard units at such places as Wendell H. Ford Training Site in Greenville, KY or Ft. Stewart, GA.

The infantry practice tactics all year round and qualify shooting their individual weapons (M-16s, M-60s, M-203s, etc.). It usually does its ATs with either a tank company attached to tit hem or attached to a tank battalion.

During peacetime, the brigade constantly trains on their equipment in the preparation for war. Other missions taken on by the brigade include flood control, crowd control/civil disturbance and assistance at local events.

The 149th Armor Brigade was originally constituted on 21 January 1839 in the Kentucky Militia as the Louisville Legion and organized at Louisville. It was mustered into Federal service on 17 May 1846 as the 1st Kentucky Volunteer Infantry Regiment and mustered out of Federal service 17 May 1847 at New Orleans, LA.

The unit was reorganized on 30 June 1851 in the Kentucky Volunteer Militia at Louisville as the Louisville Legion. It reorganized again on 7 May 1860 in the Kentucky State Guard as the 1st Infantry Regiment (Louisville Legion) to consist of the Louisville Battalion and the Marion Rifle Battalion. The 1st Infantry Regiment reorganized in July 1861 at Camp Joe Holt, IN, with men of Union sympathy, as the 3d Kentucky Volunteer Infantry Regiment (Louisville Legion).

It was mustered into Federal service on 9 September 1861 as the 5th Kentucky Volunteer Infantry Regiment (Louisville Legion); and mustered out of Federal service in September 1864 at Louisville. The unit was reorganized on 15 October 1878 in the Kentucky State Guard at Louisville as the 1st Battalion (Louisville Legion). It expanded, reorganized, and was redesignated in 1883 as the 1st Regiment of Infantry (Louisville Legion). It was mustered into Federal service on 1-10 June 1898 at Lexington as the 1st Kentucky Volunteer Infantry; and mustered out of Federal service 24 February 1899 at Louisville.

It was reorganized on 31 July 1899 in the Kentucky State Guard at Louisville as the 1st Regiment of Infantry (Louisville Legion) and mustered out of state service on 27 November 1900 at Louisville. The unit was reorganized on 27 May 1904 in the Kentucky State Guard at Louisville as the 1st Regiment of Infantry (Louisville Legion).

The Kentucky State Guard was redesignated on 19 March 1912 as the Kentucky National Guard.

The unit was mustered into Federal service on 25 June 1916 at Fort Thomas, KY. (Company A was mustered out of Federal service in February 1917 at Fort Thomas, KY; and mustered into Federal service on 8 May 1917 at Camp Stanley, KY). The unit was drafted into Federal service on 5 August 1917.

It converted and was redesignated on 9 October 1917 as the 138th Field Artillery and assigned to the 38th Division. It was demobilized on 8 January 1919 at Camp Zachary Taylor, KY.

Reorganized between 1921-1922 in the Kentucky National Guard at Louisville as the 138th Field Artillery and assigned to the 38th Division; Headquarters Federally was recognized on 30 June 1922 at Louisville. It was inducted into Federal service on 17 January 1941 at Louisville.

The regiment was broken up on 1 March 1942 and its elements were reorganized and redesignated as follows:

  • Headquarters and Headquarters Battery disbanded (1st and 2d Battalions as the 138th and 198th Field Artillery Battalions - hereafter separate lineages)
  • Headquarters Battery, 138th Field Artillery, reconstituted 25 August 1945 in the Kentucky National Guard

The unit was redesignated on 13 May 1946 as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 138th Field Artillery Group. It consolidated on 22 April 1947 with Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 38th Division Artillery, which had originally been organized and Federally recognized on 14 February 1923 in the Kentucky National Guard at Louisville as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 63d Field Artillery Brigade, and assigned to the 38th Division (later redesignated as the 38th Infantry Division) before being inducted into Federal service on 17 January 1941 at Louisville, reorganized and redesignated on 1 March 1942 as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 38th Division Artillery, and inactivated 9 November 1945 at Camp Anza, CA.

The consolidated unit reorganized and was Federally recognized at Louisville as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 138th Field Artillery Group. It reorganized and was redesignated on 1 October 1959 as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, XXIII Corps Artillery.

The unit consolidated on 1 March 1968 with two units:

  • Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 149th Armor Group, which had originally been organized and Federally recognized on 27 March 1925 in the Kentucky National Guard at Anchorage as Headquarters Company, 1st Battalion, 149th Infantry, an element of the 38th Division (later redesignated as the 38th Infantry Division). It was reorganized and redesignated on 1 June 1926 as Headquarters Company, 149th Infantry, before relocating on 9 April 1931 to St. Matthews. It was inducted into Federal service on 17 January 1941 at St. Matthews, and inactivated on 9 November 1945 at Camp Anza, CA. (149th Infantry relieved 13 May 1946 from assignment to the 38th Infantry Division). Reorganized and Federally recognized on 25 September 1946 at St. Matthews, it converted and was redesignated on 1 September 1955 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 149th Armor Group.
  • The 113th Ordnance Company which had originally been organized and Federally recognized on 28 January 1948 in the Kentucky Army National Guard at St. Matthews as the Medical Company, 149th Infantry. It was converted and redesignated on 1 September 1955 as Headquarters and Service Company, 240th Tank Battalion. It consolidated on 1 October 1959 with the Medical Detachment, 240th Tank Battalion (organized and Federally recognized 13 September 1955 at St. Matthews), and the consolidated unit was converted and redesignated as the 113th Ordnance Company.

The consolidated unit was designated as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, XXIII Corps Artillery. It was converted and redesignated on 1 November 1980 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 149th Armored Brigade. It reorganized and was redesignated on 1 November 1985 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 149th Brigade, 35th Infantry Division.



NEWSLETTER
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list