Find a Security Clearance Job!

Military


2nd Battalion, 123rd Armor Regiment

As of late 2000, during time of war, the battalion's mission was to employ 58 M-1 Abrams Main Battle Tanks effectively.

During peacetime, the battalion not only trains on their tanks but performs nonmilitary missions like civil disturbance/crowd control and disaster relief. The 2d Battalion of the 123d Armored Regiment is a great way for a highly motivated and capable individual to excell as a Citizen Soldier and in life.

2nd Battalion, 123rd Armor Regiment was originally constituted on 22 May 1846 in the Kentucky Militia as the 1st Kentucky Volunteer Cavalry and the 2d Kentucky Volunteer Infantry. It was organized from volunteers of the enrolled militia, principally from counties in Central Kentucky, and mustered into federal service 9 June 1846 at Louisville; mustered out of federal service 7 and 9 June 1847, respectively, at New Orleans, Louisiana, and continued state service as separate volunteer militia companies.

It was reorganized on 15 June 1860 in the Kentucky State Guard as the Lexington Battalion to include the Lexington Rifles (organized in 1857 by Captain John Hunt Morgan), and expanded on 6 November 1860 to form the Lexington Battalion and the Kentucky River Battalion. The Lexington and Kentucky River Battalions were broken up in 1861 and their elements reorganized as follows:

  • Elements with Union sympathy were reorganized April-June 1861 primarily as the 1st and 2d Kentucky Volunteer Infantry Regiments. They were mustered into federal service on 4 and 13 June 1861, respectively, at Camp Clay, OH: and mustered out of federal service on 18 and 19 June, respectively, at Covington.
  • Elements with Confederate sympathy (less Lexington Rifles) were reorganized in July 1861 as elements of the 1st Kentucky Brigade (The Orphan Brigade) and mustered into confederate service at Camp Boone, TN. They surrendered on 4 May 1865 at Washington, GA.
  • The Lexington Rifles were withdrawn on 20 September 1861 from the Kentucky State Guard, reorganized as a separate cavalry company, and mustered into confederate service at Bowling Green, Ky. They consolidated in October 1861 with two other cavalry companies and the consolidated unit was reorganized and redesignated in June 1862 as the 2d Kentucky Cavalry Regiment (Morgan's Men). It surrendered on 8 May 1865 near Woodstock, GA.

The Former Lexington and Kentucky River Battalions were reorganized on 18 May 1881 in the Kentucky State Guard as the 3d Battalion, with Headquarters in Lexington Expanded, reorganized, and redesignated in 1883 as the 2d Regiment of Infantry, with Headquarters in Lexington. It was mustered into federal service 14-25 May 1898 at Lexington as the 2d Kentucky Volunteer Infantry; and mustered out of federal service on 31 October 1898 at Lexington.

It was reorganized on 24 April 1899 in the Kentucky State Guard as the 1st Regiment of Infantry, with Headquarters in Lexington.

The Kentucky State Guard was redesignated on 19 March 1912 as the Kentucky National Guard The unit was mustered into federal service on 25 June 1916 at Fort Thomas, KY; and mustered out of federal service 15 February 1917 at Fort Thomas, KY. It was again mustered into federal service on 21 April 1917 at Camp Stanley, KY; and drafted into federal service 5 on August 1917.

It consolidated on 1 October 1917 with the 3d Regiment of Infantry (less 3d Battalion) which was originally organized on 8 May 1882 in the Kentucky State Guard in Western Kentucky as the 4th Battalion, with Headquarters in Bowling Green, expanded, reorganized, and redesignated in 1883 as the 3d Regiment of Infantry, with Headquarters in Bowling Green and mustered into federal service on 21-31 May 1898 at Lexington as the 3d Kentucky Volunteer Infantry; before being mustered into federal service 16 May 1899 at Savannah, GA. It reorganized on 10 October 1899 in the Kentucky State Guard as the 3d Regiment of Infantry, with Headquarters in Bowling Green and was mustered into federal service on 6 July 1916 at Fort Thomas, Kentucky; mustered out on 12-15 March 1917; mustered back into federal service on 21 April 1917 at Camp Stanley, KY; and drafted into federal service on 5 August 1917.

The consolidated unit concurrently reorganized and redesignated as the 149th Infantry and assigned to the 38th Division. It was demobilized in January 1919 at Camp Zachary Taylor, KY

Former 2d and 3d Regiments of Infantry reorganized in 1920-1921 in the Kentucky National Guard as the 1st Infantry and the 53d and 54th Machine Gun Squadrons (53d and 54th Machine Gun Squadrons - hereafter separate lineages).

The 1st Infantry was redesignated on 1 July 1921 as the 149th Infantry and assigned to the 38th Division (later redesignated the 38th Infantry Division); Headquarters was federally recognized on 1 July 1922 at Frankfort, and relocated its Headquarters on 13 December 1927 to Louisville. It was inducted into federal service on 17 January 1941 at home stations. It inactivated on 9 November 1945 at Camp Anza, CA.

The unit was relieved on 13 May 1946 from assignment to the 38th Infantry Division. It reorganized and was federally recognized on 25 September 1946 with Headquarters in St Matthews. The regiment was broken up on 1 September 1955 and its elements converted and redesignated as follows:

  • Headquarters and the 1st Battalion (less Company A) as the 241st Tank Battalion
  • 3d Battalion as the 240th and 243d Tank Battalions (Headquarters Company as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 149th Armor Group; 2d Battalion as the 242d Tank Battalion; and Company A as the 917th Medical Company - hereafter separate lineages)

The 240th, 241st, and 243d Tank Battalions consolidated on 1 October 1959 with the 201st Engineer Battalion which had originally been constituted on 5 August 1917 as the 113th Supply Train and assigned to the 38th Division, and organized on 22 October 1917 at Camp Shelby, MS, by transfer of personnel from National Guard infantry companies inducted from Indiana, Kentucky and West Virginia. It was demobilized on 5-6 July 1919 at Camp Zachary Taylor, KY, and reorganized between 1921-1926 in the Indiana and Kentucky National Guard as the 38th Division Quartermaster Train, before being reorganized and redesignated on 1 July 1937 as the 113th Quartermaster Regiment and remaining assigned to the 38th Division. It was inducted into federal service on 17 January 1941 at home stations, and subsequently reorganized and redesignated on 1 March 1942 as the 113th Quartermaster Battalion, and on 1 November 1942 as the 38th Quartermaster Company, an element of the 38th Infantry Division. It inactivated on 9 November 1945 as Camp Anza, CA. The former Kentucky elements were reorganized and federally recognized on 24 August 1949 in Northern Kentucky as the 201st Engineer Combat Battalion, with Headquarters at Owensboro, and ordered into federal service on 9 May 1951 at home stations (201st Engineer Battalion (NGUS) organized and federally recognized on 1 May 1953 with Headquarters at Owensboro). It was reorganized and redesignated on 8 June 1953 as the 201st Engineer Battalion and released on 30 March 1955 from active federal service and reverted to state control; the federal recognition was concurrently withdrawn from the 201st Engineer Battalion (NGUS).

The resulting consolidated unit was reorganized and redesignated as the 123d Armor, a parent regiment under the Combat Arms Regimental System, to consist of the 1st, 2d, and 3d Medium Tank Battalions (3d Medium Tank Battalion ordered into active federal service 1 October 1961 at home stations; 2d Medium Tank Battalion ordered into active federal service 15 October 1961 at home stations; 2d and 3d Medium Tank Battalions released 11 August 1962 from active federal service and reverted to state control).

The unit was reorganized on 6 April 1964 to consist of the 1st, 2d, and 3d Battalions; on 1 March 1968 to consist of the 1st and 2d Battalions; on 1 November 1980 to consist of the 1st and 2d Battalions, elements of the 149th Armored Brigade (Separate); on 1 November 1985 to consist of the 1st and 2d Battalions, elements of the 35th Infantry Division (Mechanized); on 21 October 1988 to consist of the 1st and 2d Battalions, elements of the 35th Infantry Division (Mechanized), and the 3d Battalion.

It was withdrawn on 1 June 1989 from the Combat Arms Regimental System and reorganized under the United States Army Regimental System with Headquarters at Paducha.



NEWSLETTER
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list