ICBM Launch Control Centers (LCC)
Extremely High Frequency (EHF) System
The Extremely High Frequency (EHF) for Intercontinental Ballistic Missile (ICBM) Launch Control Centers (LCCs) Program will integrate an EHF capability into the Minuteman ICBM LCCs. As the newest link in the Minimum Essential Emergency Communications Network (MEECN), this effort will provide the LCCs with the ability to receive Emergency Action Messages (EAMs) and send force reportback messages over the MILSTAR network. The EHF system will provide secure, survivable, and reliable communication between the National Command Authority (NCA) and the LCCs. The modified EHF terminal will replace the existing ICBM Super High Frequency Satellite Terminal (ISST) and AFSATCOM reportback.
The ILES must meet the key requirements (the draft Operational Requirements Document (ORD):
- Interoperability with the Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS) EHF-Emergency Action Message (EAM) network including AF Reportback protocols and KGV-11 net compatibility for EAM reception using the Earth Coverage (EC) beam;
- Probability of Correct Message Receipt (PCMR) of at least 90% (goal: 99%);
- Integration into the already existing Weapon System Control Console (WSCC) Higher Authority Communications/Rapid Message Processing Element (HAC/RMPE) system used at the LCCs to provide one integrated operator interface for all LCC systems;
- Capability to be controlled with minimum operator involvement and while strapped into an LCC chair;
- Nuclear Survivability.
The anticipated budget for the ILES contract (including profit) is: 3600 funds (FY99: $8.5M; FY00: $18.2M; FY01: $8.5M) and 3080 funds (FY01: $32.0M; FY02: $18.7M; FY03: $8.8M).
Sources and Resources
- EXTREMELY HIGH FREQUENCY (EHF) CAPABILITY FOR THE ICBM LAUNCH CONTROL CENTERS - DRAFT OPERATIONAL REQUIREMENTS DOCUMENT AFSPC 005-95B-I/II 1 April 1997
- ICBM LAUNCH CONTROL CENTERS (LCC) EXTREMELY HIGH FREQUENCY (EHF) SYSTEM (ILES) [Commerce Business Daily: Posted January 21, 1998]
- ICBM Launch Control Center (LCC) EHF System (ILES) STATEMENT OF OBJECTIVES - 20 Jan 98
- EXTREMELY HIGH FREQUENCY (EHF) CAPABILITY FOR THE ICBM LAUNCH CONTROL CENTERS - DRAFT OPERATIONAL REQUIREMENTS DOCUMENT AFSPC 005-95B-I/II - 13 February 1998
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|