June 2018 Space News
- Japan to buy US-made advanced radar despite North Korea thaw Press TV 29 Jun 2018 -- Japan is set to pick a US-made advanced radar as early as next week to upgrade its missile system.
- US military plans to install $1bn missile defense radar in Hawaii Press TV 28 Jun 2018 -- The US military is planning to install a massive radar that officials say is designed to identify missile attacks against the US mainland.
- Australia - AEGIS Combat System Equipment for Australia Surface Combatants DSCA 26 Jun 2018 -- The State Department has made a determination approving a possible Foreign Military Sale to Australia of equipment associated with the integration of the CEAFAR 2 Phased Array Radar System with the AEGIS Combat System for an estimated cost of $185 million. The Defense Security Cooperation Agency delivered the required certification notifying Congress of this possible sale today.
- Spain - AEGIS Combat System DSCA 26 Jun 2018 -- The State Department has made a determination approving a possible Foreign Military Sale to Spain of five (5) AEGIS Weapons Systems (AWS) for an estimated cost of $860.4 million. The Defense Security Cooperation Agency delivered the required certification notifying Congress of this possible sale today.
- Detect and Destroy: NASA's New Effort to Keep Earth Safe From Asteroids Sputnik 22 Jun 2018 -- If the US is going to have a "Space Force," it might as well do something useful, right? NASA, the US government's first space agency, certainly thinks so; that's why it's helping coordinate a improved asteroid detection, tracking and deflection system, in case a life-destroying stellar object is careening our way.
- Intl use of China Space Station to bring scientific benefits to world: UN official People's Daily 21 Jun 2018 -- Cooperation between China and the UN Office for Outer Space Affairs (UNOOSA) is going from strength to strength, head of the office Simonetta Di Pippo said Tuesday.
- Keeping America Safe: Addressing the Threat of Near-Earth Object Impacts The White House 20 Jun 2018
- China, UN Office enhance cooperation on outer space affairs People's Daily 20 Jun 2018 -- Cooperation between China and the UN Office for Outer Space Affairs (UNOOSA) is going from strength to strength, head of the office Simonetta Di Pippo said Tuesday.
- Russia Calls Trump's Space Force Plan 'Alarming' RFE/RL 20 Jun 2018 -- Russia has expressed alarm over President Donald Trump's pledge to maintain U.S. dominance in space and create a separate branch of the military called the "space force."
- Iran completes full space technology cycle IRNA 19 Jun 2018 -- Iran has managed to complete the full cycle of space technology, according to head of the Iranian Space Agency.
- Trump orders to build "separate but equal" space force People's Daily 19 Jun 2018 -- The United States President Donald Trump announced Monday that he was moving to establish a space force as the sixth branch of the U.S. armed forces.
- Trump orders establishment of new US military 'space force' Press TV 19 Jun 2018 -- US President Donald Trump has announced plans for American dominance in space by ordering the establishment of a sixth branch of the military - a "space force."
- Trump Vows To Keep U.S. Ahead Of China, Russia On Space Endeavors RFE/RL 19 Jun 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump has vowed to maintain U.S. dominance in space as China, Russia, and other countries make advances in the race to explore the moon, Mars, and other planets.
- S7 Space Mulls Restoring Production of Heavy Soviet Rocket Engines in Russia Sputnik 19 Jun 2018 -- Russia's S7 Space, part of the S7 Group, plans to build a plant in Samara to produce Soviet-designed NK-33 and NK-43 rocket engines for super heavy-lift launch vehicles and intends to purchase production capacities from the state-owned United Engine Corporation (UEC) for this purpose, S7 Space General Director Sergey Sopov said in an interview.
- US Air Force to be ripped by Trump's space force: Senator Press TV 18 Jun 2018 -- The United States Air Force will be ripped apart by US President Donald Trump's newly announced space force, says a Democratic lawmaker.
- Trump Establishes Space Force as Sixth Branch of US Armed Forces Sputnik 18 Jun 2018 -- President Donald Trump on Monday ordered the US Department of Defense to create the Space Force as the sixth branch of the US Armed Forces.
- Russia to Deliver US New Rocket Engines As Trump Creates Space Force Sputnik 18 Jun 2018 -- The US government is slated to receive one of two batches of Russian-made rocket engines in the second quarter of 2018, according to a leading Russian rocket designer, at nearly the same point when the newly created US Space Force is being established as a new branch of the US armed forces.
- Space science now a 'fundamental pillar' of 21st century human development: top UN space official UN News 18 Jun 2018 -- After "relentless" progress in space technology, the focus for the international community must now shift to ensuring that the benefits of space science are available to everyone, everywhere, a senior United Nations official told a major conference on Monday.
- Remarks by President Trump at a Meeting with the National Space Council and Signing of Space Policy Directive-3 The White House 18 Jun 2018
- President Donald J. Trump is Achieving a Safe and Secure Future in Space The White House 18 Jun 2018
- Russia Launches Soyuz-2.1b Carrier Rocket With Glonass-M Navigation Satellite Sputnik 17 Jun 2018 -- Russia launched a Soyuz-2.1b carrier rocket from the Plesetsk space center on Sunday to orbit a Glonass-M satellite, the Russian Defense Ministry said.
- UN forum to explore use of outer space to improve lives, protect planet UN News 15 Jun 2018 -- Marking 50 years since the world first came together to discuss the peaceful uses of outer space, government leaders, policy makers, civil society representatives and space experts will gather at a United Nations forum in Vienna from Monday to explore the future course of global space cooperation for the benefit of humankind.
- Japan Successfully Tests H-IIA Launch Vehicle With New Research Satellite - JAXA Sputnik 12 Jun 2018 -- Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) on Tuesday successfully tested a H-IIA Launch Vehicle with a new research satellite, according to the agency's live stream of the lift-off.
- Russia's Soyuz MS-09 Spacecraft With 3 Crew Members Docks With ISS Sputnik 08 Jun 2018 -- Russian Soyuz MS-09 spacecraft carrying three crew members has successfully docked with the International Space Station (ISS), a Sputnik correspondent reported from the Mission Control Center.
- Fund Crisis Involving India's Strategically Crucial Space Programs Disappears Sputnik 07 Jun 2018 -- The $1.6 billion fund approved by the Indian government will help the Indian space agency go ahead with the planned launch of 40 rockets in the next four years while making the country not only self-reliant but also a major global competitor in the launching of foreign satellites of the 4-ton category.
- Patriot missiles and the Polish Army take the field Army News 05 Jun 2018 -- Saber Strike 18 is a multinational exercise taking place in the Drawsko Promorskie training area of Poland with the overall intent to strengthen our relationships with allies and bolster our regional defense posture. Through opposition force training, convoy operations and full scale mobilizations of weaponry such as the Patriot missile system, these exercises offer many vital logistical battle scenarios that foster invaluable training opportunities for service members.
- US Instructs Polish Forces on Patriot Anti-Missile Operation - Pentagon Sputnik 05 Jun 2018 -- The US Army has invited Polish troops into a previously off-limits training area to attend a first-ever verbal demonstration of the Patriot missile defense system, the Department of Defense announced in a press release.
- China launches new Earth observation satellite People's Daily 02 Jun 2018 -- China on Saturday launched a new Earth observation satellite, Gaofen-6, which will be mainly used in agricultural resources research and disaster monitoring.
- US military looking at deploying THAAD missile system in Germany Press TV 01 Jun 2018 -- The United States military is looking to deploying an advanced anti-missile radar system in Germany.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|