March 2018 Space News
- Scientists Track Chinese Space Station's Final Hours in Orbit VOA 31 Mar 2018 -- Scientists are monitoring a defunct Chinese space station that is expected to fall to Earth sometime this weekend – the largest man-made object to re-enter Earth's atmosphere in a decade.
- Air Force Secretary Wilson highlights space mission at AFA breakfast AFNS 30 Mar 2018 -- Secretary of the Air Force Heather Wilson discussed the importance of space pertaining to national security during an Air Force Association Breakfast March 30, 2018, in Washington, D.C.
- Poland's purchase of US-made Patriot poses threat to Russia's security: Moscow Press TV 29 Mar 2018 -- Russia has slammed a military deal between Poland and the United States to provide Warsaw with the advanced Patriot anti-missile system, saying it poses a serious threat to Russia's borders.
- Poland Signs $5 Billion Deal To Buy Patriot Missile System RFE/RL 28 Mar 2018 -- Poland has signed a $4.75 billion deal with the United States to buy Patriot air-defense missile systems as it seeks to beef up its forces amid increasingly aggressive moves by Russia in the region.
- Senior Officials: U.S. Must Keep Pace with Adversaries in Missile Defense AFPS 22 Mar 2018 -- The fiscal year 2019 budget request for ballistic missile defense seeks to ensure the United States stays ahead of adversaries that are advancing their capabilities, defense officials said on Capitol Hill today.
- Japan's deployment of US missile system affects Russia's security interests: Lavrov Press TV 21 Mar 2018 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov has warned that the deployment of US missile system components in Japan would have a direct impact on his country's national security and regional interests.
- India, EU to Have Free Access to Each Other's Earth Observation Satellite Data Sputnik 20 Mar 2018 -- As per the arrangement, while data gathered by India's Oceansat-2, Megha-Tropiques, Scatsat-1, SARAL, INSAT-3D, and INSAT-3DR will be made available for distribution on Europe's Copernicus hub, India will have free access to data from the EU's Copernicus family of satellites.
- China launches land exploration satellite into space People's Daily 18 Mar 2018 -- China launched a land exploration satellite into a preset orbit from the Jiuquan Satellite Launch Center in the Gobi desert of the country's northwest at 3:10 p.m. Saturday.
- Space Carsharing: SpaceX Launches Secret US Military Payload With Com Satellite Sputnik 15 Mar 2018 -- The secondary cargo from the recent Falcon 9 remained undisclosed until US military published orbital data from the launch, where the second object suddenly appeared. A company, related to the launch, claims the cargo is for a R&D mission.
- Indian Space Agency Working on 16 Ton Payload Capacity GTO Launch Vehicle Sputnik 15 Mar 2018 -- The Indian space agency has proven its versatility in launching multi-satellite/multi-orbit missions, as well as lunar and interplanetary missions, it's now developing a heavy lift launch vehicle which can carry satellites of up to 16 tons to the geosynchronous transfer orbit (GTO).
- China's BeiDou navigation application expected to be launched this May People's Daily 14 Mar 2018 -- A navigation application based on China's home-grown BeiDou Navigation Satellite System is expected to be launched on May 1, Chinese media reported.
- Trump Considers Setting Up U.S. 'Space Force' Separate From Air Force RFE/RL 14 Mar 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump has said he wants the U.S. military to create a new "space force" that would be separate from the Pentagon's current army, navy, and air force.
- Japan Patriot Battalion fields first operational Dismounted Patriot Information Coordination Central Army News 13 Mar 2018 -- The success of the United States Army is aided by consistent improvement in warfighting equipment. As a forward deployed Patriot Missile Battalion, the 1st Battalion, 1st Air Defense Artillery Regiment (1-1 ADA) continues to protect the force and selected assets from air and missile threats against U.S., our deployed forces and our allies and partners.
- Israeli, U.S. forces hold joint military drill in Israel People's Daily 09 Mar 2018 -- U.S. and Israeli military officials said on Thursday they have launched a month-long joint military drill that simulates a missile attack on Israel.
- Israel holding joint military drill with US amid threats of new war on Lebanon Press TV 09 Mar 2018 -- Thousands of American and Israeli military forces are holding a month-long joint military exercise in the occupied territories amid the Tel Aviv regime's rising threats of a new war against Lebanon.
- Ballistic Missile Defense Remains Focal Point of Juniper Cobra 2018 AFPS 09 Mar 2018 -- Juniper Cobra is a U.S. European Command bilateral exercise.
- Travis AFB delivers NASA InSight Spacecraft AFNS 08 Mar 2018 -- Airmen from the 21st Airlift Squadron and the 860th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron at Travis Air Force Base, California, loaded and transported the NASA InSight Spacecraft Feb. 28, 2018, from Lockheed Martin Space, Buckley AFB, Colorado, to Vandenberg AFB, California, aboard a C-17 Globemaster III.
- Missile Defense Agency Director Outlines Priorities, Threats AFPS 07 Mar 2018 -- The United States is able to defend against current threats from ballistic missiles, but increased capabilities are needed to address emerging risks, the head of the Missile Defense Agency said here yesterday.
- China to launch Long March-5B rocket in 2019 People's Daily 06 Mar 2018 -- China will launch the Long March-5B carrier rocket into space in 2019, according to a spokesperson for the China Manned Space Engineering Office (CMSEO).
- Russia Working on Military Satellite Grouping to Counter US Space Warfare Plans Sputnik 06 Mar 2018 -- The Russian military's announcement comes just two weeks after remarks by US Air Force top brass that America must prepare to fight and win wars in outer space.
- US plans to deploy 400 anti-ballistic missiles on Russia's doorstep: Russian official Press TV 03 Mar 2018 -- A Russian defense official says the United States is planning to deploy some 400 anti-ballistic missiles on Russia's doorstep as part of its military buildup in Eastern Europe.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|