February 2018 Space News
- Long March 11 carrier rockets to be used in country's first sea launch People's Daily 28 Feb 2018 -- China's Long March 11 carrier rockets will be deployed for the country's first sea launch mission later this year, their developer China Aerospace Science and Technology Corporation (CASC) said on Feb. 27, Science and Technology Daily reported.
- Russia's Energomash Successfully Tests RD-180 Engine Made for US Atlas Rocket Sputnik 28 Feb 2018 -- Tests of a Russian RD-180 liquid-fuel rocket engine have been carried out in the Science and Test Complex of Russia's NPO Energomash, the company said Wednesday in a statement.
- Japan Successfully Launches Rocket With Spy Satellite - Space Agency Sputnik 27 Feb 2018 -- Japan's Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) on Tuesday successfully launched a ?2-? rocket with a new reconnaissance satellite from the space center in the prefecture of Kagoshima.
- Norway Shelves Decision to Join NATO's Missile Shield Sputnik 26 Feb 2018 -- The government study which was expected to provide Norway with guidance in its fateful decision on whether to join NATO's controversial missile defense was expected to be ready before the New Year, but has been delayed.
- Russian Engineers Finish Work on Laser Capable of Shooting Down Enemy Satellites Sputnik 25 Feb 2018 -- An informed source told Russian media that the new laser weapon was developed with the help of know-how accumulated by the Beriev A-60 airborne laser laboratory.
- US-Made Falcon 9 Rocket Lifts Spain Radar-Imaging Satellite into Orbit -SpaceX Sputnik 22 Feb 2018 -- A radar-imaging satellite entered low earth orbit following a flawless liftoff atop a Falcon 9 rocket in a launch broadcast over the internet by the rocket's manufacturer Space X on Thursday.
- Moon, Mars, and Worlds Beyond: Winning the Next Frontier The White House 21 Feb 2018
- Israel Counters Iran's New Missile With 'Successful' Interceptor Test VOA 21 Feb 2018 -- Israel and its U.S. ally say they have successfully tested an anti-missile system that would protect the Jewish state from a potential long-range missile attack by its regional rival, Iran.
- South Korea Seeks PAC-3 Precision-Guided Missiles from Lockheed Martin Sputnik 21 Feb 2018 -- The South Korean Ministry of National Defense has approved a deal to procure $53 million worth of PAC-3 missiles to counter the North Korean threat.
- Pentagon Prepares New Ballistic Missile Defense Review Sputnik 20 Feb 2018 -- After publishing the National Defense Strategy and Nuclear Posture Review in the first eight weeks of the year, the next report on the Pentagon's agenda will detail Washington's plan for ballistic missile defense.
- Test of Arrow 3 Missile Defense System Completes Successfully AFPS 19 Feb 2018 -- Today at 2:30 a.m. local time, the Missile Defense Agency and the Israel Missile Defense Organization successfully completed a flight test of the Arrow 3 weapons system that is designed to defend against ballistic missiles outside of the atmosphere.
- US Wary of Russian and Chinese Antisatellite Weaponry Sputnik 19 Feb 2018 -- US National Intelligence believes the two countries are planning to create and use such weapons to knock out any US and allied satellites that could give them the upper hand on the ground.
- Israel, US Successfully Test Hetz 3 Exoatmospheric Anti-Missile System Sputnik 19 Feb 2018 -- Israel and the United States have conducted a successful test of the Hetz 3 ("Arrow-3") long-range missile system, capable of intercepting ballistic missiles in space, the Israeli Defense Ministry said Monday.
- Beidou positioned to provide global coverage People's Daily 14 Feb 2018 -- Satellite network will provide data for countries participating in the Belt and Road Initiative, as Zhao Lei reports.
- The Dangerous Illusion of "All the News that is Fit to Print" MDAA 13 Feb 2018 -- "In the mastering by the master of political spin to feed the beast of circulation, the New York Times editorial board serendipitously posted a distortion of illusion on their version of missile defense, the day prior to the release of the Presidential Budget Request to Congress for Fiscal Year 2019. "
- Department of Defense Press Briefing on the President's Fiscal Year 2019 Defense Budget for the Missile Defense Agency DoD 13 Feb 2018 -- Presenter: Missile Defense Agency Director of Operations Mr. Gary Pennett
- Russian Cargo Ship Launched To Space Station After Two-Day Delay RFE/RL 13 Feb 2018 -- An unmanned Russian cargo spacecraft has blasted off for the International Space Station (ISS), two days after the original launch was delayed.
- Trump Proposes Privatizing U.S. Operations On Space Station RFE/RL 13 Feb 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump has proposed turning over to private businesses U.S. operations on the International Space Station, which is currently run jointly by the U.S. and Russian governments.
- Flying Fire: Pentagon Orders Ballistic Missile-Killing Drone-Mounted Laser Sputnik 13 Feb 2018 -- Among the many items in their $9.9 billion budget request for fiscal year 2019, the US Missile Defense Agency (MDA) has requested $66 million to develop a drone-mounted laser that can be used to destroy ballistic missiles shortly after launch - or possibly even before they fly.
- Russia tests latest interceptor missile in Kazakhstan Press TV 12 Feb 2018 -- The Russian Defense Ministry has released footage of the testing of its latest interceptor missile which is designed to protect Moscow from nuclear attacks.
- China to Develop Sea-Based Missile Interceptors Sputnik 08 Feb 2018 -- China is planning to develop a sea-based missile defense launcher after completing a successful intercept of a ballistic missile in space from a ground-based system earlier this week, according to the South China Morning Post.
- Germany Building More Ships to Boost Israeli Maritime Missile Shield – IDF Sputnik 08 Feb 2018 -- Germany is building four ships to add to Israel's sea-based missile shield called Iron Dome, according to a spokesperson for the Israel Defense Forces.
- Iran position nine on world satellite record launch: Space official IRNA 07 Feb 2018 -- Iran ranks ninth among countries who have been able to place satellites in the orbit, the director of the plan and management department of the Iranian Space Research Center told the Islamic Republic News Agency (IRNA).
- Ground missile defense system tested People's Daily 07 Feb 2018 -- China launched its first ground-based midcourse missile defense interception test in four years on Monday, a move experts said would further improve China's long-range missile defense capability during wartime.
- China conducts land-based mid-course missile interception test Ministry of National Defense of the People's Republic of China 06 Feb 2018 -- China carried out a land-based mid-course missile interception test within its territory on Feb. 5, 2018 and achieved the desired test objective.
- China tests missile interceptor system Press TV 06 Feb 2018 -- China has successfully tested an anti-missile system, the Chinese Defense Ministry has announced, stressing the defensive nature of the system.
- China Intercepts Missile in Space One Week After Failed US Attempt Sputnik 06 Feb 2018 -- Less than a week after a US missile defense system failed to intercept a ballistic missile outside the Earth's atmosphere, the Chinese Ministry of National Defense claimed to have triumphed where the Americans stumbled.
- Japan Successfully Launches World's Smallest Carrier Rocket - JAXA Sputnik 03 Feb 2018 -- Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) on Saturday carried out a successful launch of the world's smallest carrier rocket SS-520-5, according to live broadcast by JAXA.
- Japanese MoD Confirms Failed Test of Aegis Ashore Missile Interceptor in Hawaii Sputnik 02 Feb 2018 -- Japanese Defense Minister Itsunori Onodera confirmed on Friday that the test of the Standard Missile-3 (SM-3) Block IIB, developed jointly with the United States for an Aegis Ashore Missile Defense System interceptor, had failed.
- Poland Negotiated Better Deal for Patriot Missile System, Defense Minister Says Sputnik 02 Feb 2018 -- The Polish National Defense Ministry has secured an unspecified cost reduction in Patriot missile defense systems from the United States.
- U.S. missile defense test in Hawaii reportedly fails People's Daily 01 Feb 2018 -- A test of U.S. ballistic missile defense reportedly failed to intercept an incoming target in Hawaii on Wednesday.
- Putin Gives Nod to Creation of Russian Super Heavy-Lift Launch Vehicle Sputnik 01 Feb 2018 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has signed a decree on the creation of a new Russian super heavy-lift launch vehicle (SHLLV), which is supposed to be used for missions to the Moon and Mars, Roscosmos Director General Igor Komarov told journalists on Thursday.
- US Missile Defense Test Fails VOA 01 Feb 2018 -- The Pentagon says the military conducted an unsuccessful missile defense test over Hawaii on Wednesday.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|