November 2017 Space News
- Russia loses contact with new weather satellite Press TV 28 Nov 2017 -- Russian space agency Roscosmos says it cannot establish contact with a weather satellite just hours after it was launched from a new spaceport.
- US tests upgraded Patriot system amid missile standoff with North Korea Press TV 28 Nov 2017 -- Engaged in a long-running standoff with North Korea over its ballistic missile program, the United States has tested an upgraded version of the Patriot missile system, which it says would help protect US allies against a wider range of threats.
- Russian Satellite Fails To Enter Orbit After Launch From New Cosmodrome RFE/RL 28 Nov 2017 -- The Russian space agency says that a satellite that was launched from its new Vostochny Cosmodrome has failed to enter a planned orbit, another blow to Moscow's space program.
- Russia Loses Contact With Satellite Sputnik 28 Nov 2017 -- A weather satellite launched today from the Vostochny Cosmodrome in Russia's Far East has not managed to reach its designated orbit, according to Roscosmos experts who are analyzing the situation now.
- China further develops new navigation satellite system Press TV 24 Nov 2017 -- China has further developed an advanced navigation satellite system, called Beidou, which can be used in search and rescue missions.
- Romania to buy US Patriot missiles in 2019: Defense minister Press TV 20 Nov 2017 -- Romania's Defense Minister Mihai Fifor says the country will purchase Patriot missile systems from the United States in the first half of 2019.
- UK preparing to launch US rockets into space: Report Press TV 20 Nov 2017 -- The UK could soon be launching US spacecraft into space as part of its plans to foray into new markets after leaving the European Union (EU), according to a new report.
- US authorizes $10.5bn Patriot missile sale to Poland Press TV 18 Nov 2017 -- The US State Department has authorized the sale of $10.5 billion in Patriot missile systems to Poland, the linchpin of the NATO military alliance's Eastern frontier against Russia.
- Celestial Empire Aims for the Stars: China Unveils Ambitions Space Program Sputnik 18 Nov 2017 -- China is all set to boost its space transportation system as it implements its strategic goal of becoming a space superpower, according to a roadmap for 2017-2047 posted on China Aerospace Science and Technology Corporation's website.
- Delta II US Carrier Rocket With New Generation Satellite Lifts Off Sputnik 18 Nov 2017 -- The JPSS is a new-generation US polar-orbiting operational environmental satellite system. The satellites will circle the Earth from pole-to-pole and cross the equator about 14 times daily.
- China to Launch Four More Fengyun Satellites in Next Four Years Sputnik 18 Nov 2017 -- China will launch four Fengyun satellites from 2018 to 2021, the Aerospace Science and Technology Corporation has told Xinhua News Agency.
- Poland - Integrated Air and Missile Defense (IAMD) Battle Command System (IBCS)-enabled Patriot Configuration-3+ with Modernized Sensors and Components DSCA 17 Nov 2017 -- The State Department has made a determination approving a possible Foreign Military Sale to Poland for an Integrated Air and Missile Defense (IAMD) Battle Command System (IBCS)-enabled Patriot Configuration-3+ with Modernized Sensors and Components for an estimated cost of $10.5 billion. The Defense Security Cooperation Agency delivered the required certification notifying Congress of this possible sale on November 14, 2017.
- China to achieve "major breakthrough" in nuclear-powered space shuttle around 2040: report People's Daily 17 Nov 2017 -- China is expected to achieve a "major breakthrough" in nuclear-powered space shuttles around 2040, according to a report issued by China Aerospace Science and Technology Corporation on Thursday.
- Old Rivals India, China Nurture New Rivalry in Satellite Launch Business Sputnik 16 Nov 2017 -- The Indian Space Research Organization says it is ready to further slash its fee for launching satellites after China announced its plans to bring prices down to $5,000 a kilogram.
- US playing catch-up with China in space race: USAF general Press TV 14 Nov 2017 -- The United States has fallen behind China in "operationalizing space," says a high-ranking US Air Force general, calling for a more aggressive and less bureaucratic approach to catch up.
- Russia, Kazakhstan Offered Baikonur Space Center Cooperation to UAE - Roscosmos Sputnik 14 Nov 2017 -- United Arab Emirates Space Agency and Russia's space corporation Roscosmos plan to create a joint technical committee for the implementation of space projects.
- Russia Successfully Tests New Spaceship Set to Deliver People, Cargo to Moon Sputnik 10 Nov 2017 -- Russia has successfully tested a simulator of the spaceship, with the objective of reaching the moon. The experiment's goal was to create conditions similar to those encountered by a mixed crew during a long autonomous interplanetary flight.
- 'Patriotic' Sweden Aims to Buy US Air Defense System Sputnik 09 Nov 2017 -- After long deliberations, Sweden has settled on the American air defense system Patriot. Possibly the most expensive military purchase in the nation's history, this acquisition will tie non-aligned Sweden closer to the US. This pricey purchase may jeopardize the Nordic country's other defense plans.
- US Completes Planned Ground-Based Missile Defense System, But Trump Wants More Sputnik 09 Nov 2017 -- The US Missile Defence Agency has confirmed the installation of the last planned Ground-Based Missile (GBM) Defense system interceptor, which is supposed to protect the country from a nuclear attack. Though the effectiveness of the system remains questionable, US President Donald Trump has requested that it be expanded.
- Sweden Mulls Purchase of US Patriot Air Defense System – Reports Sputnik 08 Nov 2017 -- The Swedish government plans to start talks with the United States on buying the US missile defense system Patriot in the coming years, local media reported on Tuesday.
- Lockheed Martin Receives Contract to Develop Compact Airborne High Energy Laser Capabilities Lockheed Martin 06 Nov 2017 -- The Air Force Research Lab (AFRL) awarded Lockheed Martin (NYSE: LMT) $26.3 million for the design, development and production of a high power fiber laser. AFRL plans to test the laser on a tactical fighter jet by 2021. The contract is part of AFRL's Self-protect High Energy Laser Demonstrator (SHiELD) program, and is a major step forward in the maturation of protective airborne laser systems.
- MDAA Alert: 300 Seconds MDAA 06 Nov 2017 -- MDAA hosted a lively discussion on intercepting ballistic missiles during the first 300 seconds of a missile's flight- its boost phase- before the ballistic missile releases its warheads, decoys, countermeasures, and debris in our 15th Congressional Roundtable.
- China's BeiDou Navigation Satellite System expands into a global network People's Daily 06 Nov 2017 -- China launched the first two of the BeiDou-3 satellites into space on Sunday evening, indicating that its BeiDou Navigation Satellite System has begun to expand into a global network, Cyol.com reported on Nov 6.
- China launches two BeiDou-3 navigation satellites on single carrier rocket Xinhua 06 Nov 2017 -- China launched two BeiDou-3 satellites into space via a single carrier rocket to support its global navigation and positioning network at 7:45 p.m. Sunday.
- Germany to Spend $465Mln on New Spy Satellites Sputnik 05 Nov 2017 -- The Airbus and the OHB aerospace companies have submitted bids for construction of the satellites for German Federal Intelligence Service's new satellite program.
- Poland May Receive 1st US Patriot Missile Defense Battery in 2019 Sputnik 02 Nov 2017 -- The agreement on the air defense system's supplies to Poland was signed during US President Donald Trump's visit to Warsaw.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|