August 2017 Space News
- FormoSat-5 launches into space after years of challenges u>ROC Central News Agency 2017/08/25 03:06:02 Taipei, Aug. 25 (CNA) Taiwan's first domestically developed remote sensing satellite FormoSat-5 launched on Friday at Vandenberg Air Force Base in California, after six years of hard work by the National Space Organization (NSPO).
- The Ministry of Defense bought the reconnaissance satellite "Lotus-M" KUBINKA / Moscow Region /, August 24. / TASS /. The Ministry of Defense bought the satellite-scout "Lotus-M" at the forum "Army-2017". This is reported to TASS correspondent from the signing ceremony.
- The Russian Ministry of Defense put into orbit a satellite for the inspection of a military spacecraft MOSCOW, August 23. / TASS /. The small spacecraft-inspector was separated from the military satellite launched on June 23 from the Plesetsk cosmodrome, the press service of the Russian Defense Ministry said.
- Russia's New Soyuz-5 Carrier Rocket to Cheapen Satellite Insertion Into Orbit Sputnik 22 Aug 2017 -- According to the director general of Russia's Roscosmos, Russia's new Soyuz-5 carrier rocket will make inserting satellites into orbit seriously cheaper.
- India to Have Public-Private Aerospace Consortium to Conquer Global Industry Sputnik 22 Aug 2017 -- Buoyed by its success in launching satellites at very low cost, the Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) is now eyeing a larger share in the global aerospace industry by forming a consortium of aerospace companies to launch more satellites.
- Russia's Space Forces Assume Control Over New Military Satellite Sputnik 17 Aug 2017 -- A new Russian military satellite has reached its final orbit after a launch from the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakstan on Wednesday night.
- Russian Military Satellite Splits From Proton-M Carrier Rocket Sputnik 17 Aug 2017 -- The Russian Defense Ministry said that a Russian military satellite mounted atop a Briz-M booster successfully separated from the carrier rocket.
- Army Space and Missile Defense Command leader speaks about missile defense future Army News 14 Aug 2017 -- The leader of U.S. Army Space and Missile Defense Command/Army Forces Strategic Command explained how the command is ensuring space and missile defense for the Soldier, the Army and the nation at the 20th Space and Missile Defense Symposium in Huntsville.
- Battalion prepares for Patriot missile defense modernization on Korean peninsula Army News 14 Aug 2017 -- After eight months of intense training, members of the 35th Air Defense Artillery Brigade successfully completed a Patriot missile defense system modernization effort that will provide continued protection from potential North Korean aggression.
- Pentagon Completes Largest-Ever Patriot Missile Defense Upgrade in S Korea Sputnik 14 Aug 2017 -- The US 35th Air Defense Artillery Brigade in South Korea and engineers from defense contractor Raytheon have completed the largest Patriot missile defense modernization project ever conducted outside a US facility amid the escalation on the Korean peninsula, the Department of Defense said.
- Top US General: US-South Korea Working Through 'Technical Issues' on THAAD VOA 14 Aug 2017 -- The top U.S. general says the United States and its South Korean allies are working through "a number of technical issues" before the United States' Terminal High-Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) system can be fully deployed on the Korean peninsula.
- US missile systems not accurately tested against real threats: Report Press TV 12 Aug 2017 -- Defense expert have warned that the multi-billion-dollar US missile systems may not be capable of defending the country against possible missile attacks, as the war of words is escalating between Washington and Pyongyang.
- S Korea Launches Expertise on US THAAD Deployment Environmental Impact Sputnik 12 Aug 2017 -- South Korea on Saturday began a formal environmental survey on US THAAD system's deployment, local media reported, citing officials.
- Chinese scientists conduct ground-to-space quantum teleportation People's Daily 10 Aug 2017 -- "Beam me up, Scotty." The famous "Star Trek" catchphrase has launched teleporting daydreams the world over.
- India to Deploy Two Ballistic Missile Defense Systems Near Pakistan Border Sputnik 07 Aug 2017 -- The ballistic missile defense grid that will protect the western and northern regions of the country will help guard New Delhi and Mumbai.
- India Eyes Big Business with Africa in Space Exploration Sputnik 07 Aug 2017 -- The recent foray of Ghana into space exploration provides immense business opportunities for the Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO), which boasts the most cost-effective launch vehicle.
- U.S. Navy successfully Conducts AN/SPY-6(V) Air and Missile Defense Radar (AMDR) Ballistic Missile Test NNS 03 Aug 2017 -- The U.S. Navy successfully conducted another Ballistic Missile Defense (BMD) flight test with the AN/SPY-6(V) Air and Missile Defense Radar (AMDR) off the west coast of Hawaii, July 27.
- Poland May Sign Deal on First Patriot Missile Systems Delivery by 2018 Sputnik 04 Aug 2017 -- Warsaw and Washington may sign an agreement on the delivery of the first US Patriot missile systems to Poland by the end of 2017, Bartosz Kownacki, the Polish deputy defense minister, said Friday.
- Seoul to Deploy Extra THAAD Units Amid Environment Impact Test - Ministry Sputnik 03 Aug 2017 -- South Korea plans to install additional THAAD system units despite the current environmental impact assessment, the Defense Ministry said on Thursday.
- Iran Minister lauds space rocket test IRNA 01 Aug 2017 -- Iran has achieved its goal as succeeded to launch Simorgh (Phoenix) satellite carrier, the country's Defense Minister said on Tuesday.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|