May 2017 Space News
- Missile Defense Agency Chief: BMD System 'Ready to Defend the Homeland Today' AFPS 31 May 2017 -- Yesterday's successful test of part of the nation's ballistic missile defense system shows that the United States can defend itself against the threat of ballistic missile launches from North Korea or Iran, the director of the Missile Defense Agency said today.
- Department of Defense Off-Camera Press Briefing by Vice Admiral James Syring on Missile Defense DoD 31 May 2017 -- Presenter: Vice Admiral Jim Syring, MDA Director; Captain Jeff Davis, Director, Defense Press Office
- Pentagon: THAAD has capability to defend against missiles, will be upgraded People's Daily 31 May 2017 -- Pentagon spokesperson Captain Jeff Davis told journalists on May 30 that the U.S. Department of Defense has been very transparent in all its actions throughout the deployment of the THAAD missile defense system in South Korea. Davis was responding to the report that four additional launchers were secretly added to the THAAD system, and that President Moon Jae-in has ordered an inquiry into the actions, Yonhap News Agency reported on May 31.
- South Korea military brass deliberately kept president in dark about THAAD: Probe Press TV 31 May 2017 -- A South Korean presidential probe into the "unauthorized" US deployment of additional missile launchers in South Korea has found that the Asian country's own military authorities had deliberately withheld the information from the new president.
- S Korea Vows to Continue to Host US THAAD Amid Probe Into Launchers Delivery Sputnik 31 May 2017 -- Seoul's probe into the US Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) system's deployment is not aimed at conducting a review of the decision of the system's deployment on South Korean territory, South Korean President Moon Jae-in said Wednesday in a statement obtained by the Yonhap news agency from presidential spokesman Park Soo-hyun.
- Shocking Revelation: How THAAD Entered South Korea Without President's Approval Sputnik 31 May 2017 -- A scandal is brewing in South Korea in connection with the deployment of the US missile defense system THAAD. It turns out that four units were delivered not only without the official permission of local authorities, but even the head of the South Korean state being notified.
- US Successfully Tests Missile Defense System VOA 30 May 2017 -- The Pentagon says its first-ever missile defense test involving an ICBM was a success.
- Homeland Missile Defense System Successfully Intercepts ICBM Target MDA 30 May 2017 -- The U.S. Missile Defense Agency, in cooperation with the U.S. Air Force 30th Space Wing, the Joint Functional Component Command for Integrated Missile Defense and U.S. Northern Command, today successfully intercepted an intercontinental ballistic missile target during a test of the Ground-based Midcourse Defense (GMD) element of the nation's ballistic missile defense system.
- New Iranian satellite in first step of design: Official IRNA 30 May 2017 -- The Deputy of the Iranian Space Agency announced on Tuesday that Pars satellite is in its first phase of design in cooperation with five academic and research centers.
- S.Korean president orders investigation into THAAD launchers delivery People's Daily 30 May 2017 -- South Korean President Moon Jae-in on Tuesday ordered an investigation into the unauthorized delivery of four more mobile launchers of the U.S. missile shield to the country.
- South Korea's new leader orders probe into 'unauthorized' US deployment Press TV 30 May 2017 -- South Korea's new President Moon Jae-in has ordered an investigation into the "unauthorized" deployment of four additional THAAD missile launchers by the United States to the country's soil.
- US to Test ICBM Intercept Following N. Korea Missile Launch VOA 30 May 2017 -- The United States planned to test its first intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) intercept Tuesday, a day after North Korea declared its most recent missile test a success.
- Iran to launch 1st sensor-operational satellite next year IRNA 28 May 2017 -- Iran's first sensor-operational satellite dubbed as "Soha" will be launched in the next Iranian calendar year (started March 21, 2018), Iran Space Research Center Hassan Haddadpour said on Sunday.
- DPRK urges South Korea to cancel THAAD deployment People's Daily 28 May 2017 -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) has urged South Korea to cancel the deployment of the Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) system by the United States, official media said Sunday.
- N Korea issue no good reason for THAAD deployment: Russia, China Press TV 27 May 2017 -- Russia and China have once again voiced opposition to the deployment of a US missile system to South Korea, saying the North Korean nuclear program should not be used as a pretext for military build-up on the troubled peninsula.
- US to conduct ICBM intercept test amid rising tensions over North Korea Press TV 26 May 2017 -- The United States plans to shoot down an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) for the first time in a test next week as North Korea is trying to develop one.
- Budget Request Seeks Greater Missile Defense Capabilities AFPS 26 May 2017 -- The Missile Defense Agency's priority in the president's fiscal year 2018 budget request is to deliver greater missile defense capability for the warfighter and to invest in advanced technology and future capabilities, MDA's director of operations said here this week.
- AF rolls out fiscal 2018 space budget AFNS 25 May 2017 -- Air Force leaders met with media to discuss specifics of the service's fiscal 2018 space investment budget at the Pentagon May 24, 2017. The request totals $7.75 billion, an approximately 20 percent increase from fiscal year 2017.
- China to Build Global Navigation Satellite System by 2020 Sputnik 25 May 2017 -- China plans to build a global navigation satellite system, which is expected to provide service to users around the world, by the year 2020.
- Russian Next-Gen Military Satellite Successfully Reaches Designated Orbit Sputnik 25 May 2017 -- Russia's next-generation military satellite launched from the Plesetsk space center in northern part of the country earlier in the day has successfully reached its designated orbit, the Russian Defense Ministry said Thursday.
- New Zealand Joins Space Nations With First Successful Rocket Launch - Rocket Lab Sputnik 25 May 2017 -- The first-ever successful launch of an orbital rocket took place in New Zealand, aerospace company Rocket Lab said Thursday.
- DARPA Picks Design for Next-Generation Spaceplane DARPA 24 May 2017 -- DARPA has selected The Boeing Company to complete advanced design work for the Agency’s Experimental Spaceplane (XS-1) program, which aims to build and fly the first of an entirely new class of hypersonic aircraft that would bolster national security by providing short-notice, low-cost access to space.
- Trump's $19.1Bln Space Budget Sustains US Efforts to Land Astronaut on Mars Sputnik 23 May 2017 -- US President Donald Trump's fiscal year 2018 budget request includes $19.1 billion for space exploration that will support efforts send humans into deep space, including a landing on the planet Mars, National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) acting Administrator Robert Lightfoot said in a statement on Tuesday.
- US Senators Introduce Bill to Bolster Missile Defense System Sputnik 23 May 2017 -- A bipartisan group of US Senators introduced The Advancing America's Missile Defense Act of 2017, aiming to promote a ballistic missile defense system for the westernmost parts of the United States that are vulnerable to attack from nations like North Korea, Senator Dan Sullivan said in a statement on Monday.
- Defense Officials Describe Priorities for Operating in Contested Space Domain AFPS 22 May 2017 -- Space enables everything the joint force does and the national security space architecture must protect and defend that capability in a contested environment, officials from the Air Force, the intelligence community and the Defense Department told a House panel in recent testimony.
- Putin: At Least 15 Russian Remote Sensing Satellites to Operate by 2020 Sputnik 22 May 2017 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin stated that the remote sensing technologies must be used to boost the Russian defense and security, develop the economy and social sphere, and increase the quality of the state's governance.
- US to Supply Saudi Arabia With THAAD, Patriot Missile Systems Sputnik 20 May 2017 -- Saudi Arabia will receive from the United States Patriot and Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) missile defense systems to protect itself and the region "from missile or other airborne attacks," according to US Department of State.
- Satellite Photos Show That N Korea Modernizing Sohae Rocket Launch Site Sputnik 19 May 2017 -- Newly acquired satellite images show that North Korea is modernizing its Sohae Satellite Launching Station located in the North Pyongan province, from which four ballistic missiles were launched in March 2017, media reported.
- Senior leaders discuss US space posture AFNS 18 May 2017 -- On May 17, 2017, Air Force senior leaders testified before the Senate Armed Service Committee Strategic Forces subcommittee on military space, organization, policy and programs.
- 45th Space Wing enables nation's space mission AFNS 18 May 2017 -- Space launches may soon be an almost weekly sight on Florida's Space Coast.
- S. Korean politician raises possibility of returning THAAD People's Daily 17 May 2017 -- South Korea's ruling Democratic Party has put forward the possibility of returning the controversial THAAD anti-missile system to the United States.
- THAAD detected N Korea missile: Seoul Press TV 17 May 2017 -- South Korea's defense minister says that North Korea's latest missile test was detected by the recently installed THAAD missile system.
- S Korea to Convince US to Turn THAAD Radars Away From Chinese Territory Sputnik 17 May 2017 -- South Korea plans to put China at ease by convincing the US to deploy THAAD radars in South Korea directed strictly to the north and not covering some Chinese territory.
- S Korea to Consider Sending THAAD System Back to US - Ruling Party Leader Sputnik 17 May 2017 -- South Korean ruling Democratic Party's leader would consider the possibility of uninstalling and sending the THAAD system back to the United States.
- Norwegian Air Force Craves NATO Missile Shield to Plug Defensive Gaps Sputnik 15 May 2017 -- Norway must either join NATO's missile shield or get one of its own. The Norwegian Air Forces arrived at this conclusion after identifying enormous gaps in today's air defense in a classified document.
- New govt seeks vote on THAAD People's Daily 13 May 2017 -- South Korea's ruling Minjoo Party said Friday that it will push for public hearing on the US Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) missile defense system to stop conflicts over the issue.
- NASA Affirms Plan for First Mission of SLS, Orion NASA 12 May 2017-- In February, NASA began an effort looking at the feasibility of putting crew aboard the first integrated flight of the Space Launch System rocket and Orion spacecraft -- Exploration Mission-1, or EM-1. (...) NASA determined it is technically capable of launching crew on EM-1, but after evaluating cost, risk and technical factors in a project of this magnitude, it would be difficult to accommodate changes needed to add crew at this point in mission planning.
- South Korea's Ruling Party Calls for Public Hearing On US THAAD Deployment Sputnik 12 May 2017 -- On Friday South Korea's ruling Party said that it will push for parliamentary hearings to help settle issues surrounding the US' deployment of its Terminal High Altitude Area Defense system (THAAD) in the Gimcheon and Senjou counties.
- Government of the United Arab Emirates (UAE) - Patriot PAC-3 and GEM-T Missiles DSCA 11 May 2017 -- The State Department has made a determination approving a possible Foreign Military Sale to the Government of the United Arab Emirates (UAE) for Patriot PAC-3 and GEM-T missiles. The estimated cost is $2 billion. The Defense Security Cooperation Agency delivered the required certification notifying Congress of this possible sale on May 10, 2017.
- S. Korea's new president to have 'serious negotiations' with China and US on THAAD People's Daily 10 May 2017 -- South Korean President Moon Jae-in said he would have "serious negotiations" with China and the United States over the deployment of the US Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) system in a speech after taking an oath as the country's 19th president at the National Assembly building in Seoul on Wednesday.
- South Koreans Demand Injunction Against THAAD Deployment in Seongju Sputnik 08 May 2017 -- On Monday more than 500 residents living near the US' Terminal High Altitude Area Defense system (THAAD) deployment site in South Korea filed a petition for an injunction to stop further construction and to block its use.
- Secret US military shuttle ends 2-year mission Press TV 08 May 2017 -- The US military's mysterious spacecraft has returned to its base, completing a two-year secret mission in Earth's orbit.
- X-37B Orbital Test Vehicle-4 lands at Kennedy Space Center AFNS 07 May 2017 -- The X-37B Orbital Test Vehicle mission 4 (OTV-4), the Air Force's unmanned, reusable space plane, landed at NASA's Kennedy Space Center Shuttle Landing Facility May 7, 2017.
- India successfully launches South Asia satellite People's Daily 06 May 2017 -- In its biggest space diplomacy push, Indian launched a South Asia communication satellite on Friday from the spaceport of Sriharikota in the southern state of Andhra Pradesh.
- Trump mulling over major weapons deals, THAAD sale in Saudi visit Press TV 05 May 2017 -- US President Donald Trump is planning to sign multi-billion dollar weapons deals with Saudi Arabia during his upcoming visit to the country, including the possible sale of a Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) missile system.
- DOD Announces Commencement of the Ballistic Missile Defense Review DoD 05 May 2017 -- Today, Secretary Jim Mattis directed the commencement of the Ballistic Missile Defense Review to identify ways to strengthen missile-defense capabilities, rebalance homeland and theater defense priorities, and provide the necessary policy and strategy framework for our nation's missile defense systems.
- India Launches South Asia 'Diplomacy' Satellite for Communication Services VOA 05 May 2017 -- India launched a "South Asia" satellite on Friday to provide communication services to neighboring countries in a new initiative hailed by leaders of seven South Asian countries as a boost to regional cooperation.
- China should take military action against THAAD deployment: military expert People's Daily 03 May 2017 -- China should take military countermeasures against THAAD deployment, a Chinese military expert said after the defense ministries of South Korea and the U.S. confirmed on May 2 that the Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) missile defense system is now operational in South Korea. The system reportedly has the initial capability to intercept North Korean missiles.
- South Korea's likely future president concerned about US missile system Press TV 03 May 2017 -- South Korea's leading presidential candidate has criticized the United States for hastily installing a controversial missile system in his country and circumventing the nation's democratic process.
- U.S. forces say THAAD in South Korea "operational" amid protests, hunger strike People's Daily 02 May 2017 -- The U.S. Forces Korea (USFK) said Tuesday that the Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) anti-missile system, which was deployed last week in southeast South Korea, is "operational."
- China urges immediate halt to US missile system in South Korea Press TV 02 May 2017 -- Beijing has called for the immediate suspension of a controversial American anti-missile system deployed to South Korea hours after Washington announced the system, known as THAAD, is now operational.
- US Missile Defense System in South Korea Operational VOA 02 May 2017 -- The U.S. military says a missile defense system being set up in South Korea is now capable of intercepting missiles fired from North Korea.
- THAAD missile defense system operational in S Korea Press TV 01 May 2017 -- The US controversial missile defense system, known as THAAD, has become operational in South Korea, despite China's criticism.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|