March 2017 Space News
- Poland Expects Contract to Buy Eight Patriot Missile Systems by Year-End - MoD Sputnik 31 Mar 2017 -- Poland will purchase of eight Patriot anti-ballistic missile batteries by the end of 2017, Polish Defense Minister Antoni Macierewicz said Friday.
- US Missile Defense in Alaska 'Part of Nuclear Potential', Poses Threat - Putin Sputnik 30 Mar 2017 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin said that US military activity "poses a certain threat."
- US missile systems can lead to nuclear attack: Top Russian commander Press TV 28 Mar 2017 -- The Russian general staff has warned of the ramifications of the US stationing of anti-ballistic missile (ABM) systems in Europe and on warships patrolling Russia's borders, saying the deployments create the potential for America to launch a nuclear attack on Russia.
- US Missile Defense System Provokes New Arms Race - Russian Ministry of Defense Sputnik 28 Mar 2017 -- The Russian General Staff stated Tuesday that the missile defense system deployed by the US provokes new arms race.
- China to launch fourth FY-3 meteorological satellite in 2017 People's Daily 24 Mar 2017 -- According to the China Aerospace Science and Technology Corporation, China plans to launch its fourth Fengyun-3 (FY-3) meteorological satellite in the second half of 2017, Xinhuanet.com reported on March 23. It will be China's 16th meteorological satellite.
- Stratcom: Integrating Space With Other Warfare Domains is Key to Deterrence AFPS 23 Mar 2017 -- Deterring and waging war successfully depends on integrating all domains of warfare, including the space domain, the deputy commander of U.S. Strategic Command said during a space security conference here yesterday.
- Beijing's Anti-THAAD Moves Sour China Views in South Korea VOA 21 Mar 2017 -- A new public opinion poll shows growing anti-China sentiment in South Korea over reports of economic retaliation by Beijing against the deployment of the Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) missile defense system.
- US THAAD missile system poses 'serious risks' to Asia-Pacific region: Russia FM Press TV 20 Mar 2017 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov has taken a swipe at the deployment of a US missile system in South Korea, warning that it poses "serious risks" to the Asia-Pacific region.
- Japan launches new spy satellite amid tensions with North Korea Press TV 17 Mar 2017 -- Japan has launched a new spy satellite into space in an apparent mission to enhance the monitoring of North Korea.
- Japan Launches IGS Radar-5 Spy Satellite Sputnik 17 Mar 2017 -- Japan has launched the IGS Radar-5 surveillance satellite aboard an H-2A rocket.
- Syrian army: Israeli jet shot down, another hit Press TV 17 Mar 2017 -- The Syrian army says four Israeli jets breached the Arab country's airspace on Friday morning, adding its air defense shot down one of the aircraft and hit another.
- 45th SW supports successful Falcon 9 EchoStar XXIII launch AFNS 16 Mar 2017 -- The 45th Space Wing supported SpaceX's successful launch of the EchoStar XXIII spacecraft aboard a Falcon 9 rocket from Launch Complex 39A at NASA's Kennedy Space Center March 16, 2017.
- Long March-7 Y2 ready for launch of China's first cargo spacecraft People's Daily 12 Mar 2017 -- A Long March-7 Y2 carrier rocket arrived at a launch center in south China on Saturday in preparation for the launch of China's first cargo spacecraft next month.
- THAAD unaffected by S Korea political crisis Press TV 11 Mar 2017 -- The US military says it will push ahead with plans to deploy the THAAD missile system in South Korea despite the ongoing political turmoil in the East Asian country.
- China Develops Spaceship Capable of Moon Landing Sputnik 09 Mar 2017 -- Chinese state media is reporting that the country's space program has developed a craft capable of both landing on the moon and flying in low-Earth orbit.
- Seoul's THAAD gamble to rock regional security People's Daily 08 Mar 2017 -- As Seoul quickens its steps to set up a U.S. missile defense system, conservative political elements in South Koreaare putting the vital security interests of the country and the region at risk for their own gains.
- China develops reusable spacecraft for manned lunar missions People's Daily 08 Mar 2017 -- China is developing a new spacecraft that can carry astronauts to destinations at and beyond low Earth orbit, and can also be used on multiple missions. The vehicle is a crucial component of the country's future manned lunar mission.
- China reiterates opposition to THAAD deployment in ROK People's Daily 08 Mar 2017 -- China on Tuesday reiterated its opposition to the deployment of a U.S. missile shield in the Republic of Korea (ROK).
- Deployment of US THAAD missile system to S Korea poses threat against China Press TV 08 Mar 2017 -- The recent deployment of a US missile system to South Korea not only poses a threat against North Korea, but also threatens the whole region, particularly China, experts say.
- US Calls China's Objections to Defense System in S. Korea 'Unwarranted' VOA 07 Mar 2017 -- A senior U.S. diplomat said Tuesday that China's objections to deployment of a controversial U.S. missile defense system in South Korea were "unwarranted," and he urged China to redirect its response to "a better use."
- THAAD Deployment Begins Amid Increasing Tensions Between China and South Korea VOA 07 Mar 2017 -- The U.S. deployed the first elements of its Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) missile defense system to South Korea Tuesday, one day after North Korea launched at least four ballistic missiles, three of which landed within 350 km of the Japanese mainland.
- Pacom Deploys Defensive Anti-Missile System to Korean Peninsula AFPS 07 Mar 2017 -- U.S. Pacific Command has deployed the first elements of the Terminal High Altitude Area Defense system, known as THAAD, to South Korea, implementing the U.S.-South Korean alliance's July decision to bring the defensive capability to the Korean Peninsula.
- China to launch Mars probe satellite in 2020 People's Daily 07 Mar 2017 -- China plans to launch a probe satellite to Mars in July or August of 2020, according to Wan Weixing, an academician at the Chinese Academy of Sciences, on March 6.
- First parts of THAAD system arrive in ROK, incense Chinese citizens People's Daily 07 Mar 2017 -- The deployment of a U.S. missile shield in South Korea has gotten underway with the arrival of part of the Terminal High-Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) battery, Seoul's defense ministry said on Tuesday, Xinhua reported.
- S.Korea launches de facto THAAD deployment despite continued oppositions People's Daily 07 Mar 2017 -- South Korea has hurriedly launched the process of deploying a U.S. missile shield to its soil despite continued, repeated oppositions from neighboring countries and residents.
- THAAD deployment in S.Korea begins with arrival of part of battery amid protest People's Daily 07 Mar 2017 -- The deployment of a U.S. missile shield in South Korea has begun with the arrival of a part of the Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) battery, Seoul's defense ministry said Tuesday.
- China, Russia slam US missile system deployment in South Korea Press TV 07 Mar 2017 -- China and Russia have slammed the deployment of a US missile system to South Korea, with Beijing vowing to defend its security interests.
- China Seeks Space Rockets Launched from Airplanes Sputnik 07 Mar 2017 -- The Chinese Academy of Launch Vehicle Technology is breaking ground on techniques to send satellites into space via rockets shot from airborne Chinese planes, China Daily reports.
- EU Successfully Launches 5th Satellite of Copernicus Observation Program Sputnik 07 Mar 2017 -- EU launched the fifth satellite of the Copernicus observation program on Tuesday.
- Seoul, Washington Accelerate THAAD System Deployment Amid Pyongyang Provocations Sputnik 07 Mar 2017 -- The United States and South Korea started to speed up deployment of the US Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) system, following the current aggravation of the situation in the region, with parts of THAAD arrived at the Osan Air Base, Gyeonggi province, on Monday.
- S Korean Opposition Slams Gov't Over 'Unilateral' Decision to Deploy THAAD Sputnik 07 Mar 2017 -- South Korean opposition parties on Tuesday criticized the government's "unilateral" decision to install the US Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) system on the territory of the country.
- US Deploys First Elements of THAAD to South Korea VOA 07 Mar 2017 -- The U.S. has deployed the first elements of its Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) system to South Korea to counter North Korea's aggressive behavior, U.S. Pacific command officials said late Monday.
- S Korea's Embassy in China Launches Task Force to Deal With Anti-THAAD Policies Sputnik 04 Mar 2017 -- South Korea's Embassy in China announced on Saturday that it established a team to handle Beijing's economic policies aimed to protest Seoul's decision to deploy the Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) system in South Korea, local media reported Saturday.
- South Korean Businesses Hit by Chinese Backlash Over Missile Defense Sputnik 04 Mar 2017 -- Shares of South Korean companies tumbled on Friday after what are perceived to be retaliatory acts by China against the deployment of a US-built missile system outside of Seoul.
- China Technically Capable of 'Blinding' US THAAD Radars in S Korea Sputnik 04 Mar 2017 -- On Thursday, the United States Department of State expressed concerns over China's retaliatory measures against South Korean businesses over the deployment of THAAD missile defenses.
- S.Korea launches process of providing land for THAAD deployment People's Daily 02 Mar 2017 -- South Korea has launched the process of providing land to the U.S. forces stationed here to deploy the U.S. Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) system in South Korean soil, the Foreign Ministry said Thursday.
- Deployment of THAAD undermines public support for cooperation between China and South Korea：MOC People's Daily 02 Mar 2017 -- The Chinese government attaches great importance to bilateral economic and trade cooperation with the Republic of Korea (ROK).
- India's Moon Mission on 2018 Target, Says ISRO Chief Sputnik 02 Mar 2017 -- ISRO boss AS Kiran Kumar says the second lunar mission Chandrayaan 2 is making good progress; it is scheduled for launch next year. But critics question why should India get into the manned spaceflight race when the US and Russia have scaled back.
- S. Korean. U.S. security, defense officials hold phone talks on THAAD, military drills People's Daily 01 Mar 2017 -- Senior security and defense officials of South Korea and the United States held phone talks on Wednesday to talks about the deployment of the U.S. missile shield in South Korean soil and the launch of joint military exercises.
- PAC-3 missiles deployed on east coast: MND CNA 01 Mar 2017 -- A Patriot Advanced Capability-3 (PAC-3) missile system has been deployed to the Hualien and Taitung area of eastern Taiwan in response to changes in China's military strategy, the Ministry of National Defense (MND) said in a report unveiled on Wednesday.
- Russia, China to intensify opposition to US missile System in South Korea Press TV 01 Mar 2017 -- Beijing says China and Russia have agreed to step up their coordinated efforts in opposition to the planned deployment in South Korea of a US missile system, insisting the move will harm regional security.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|