May 2012 Space News
- Dragon Cargo Spacecraft Lands in Pacific Ocean RIA Novosti 31 May 2012 -- The first private spaceship, the Dragon, which undocked from the International Space Station (ISS) on Thursday, has landed in the Pacific Ocean.
- Europe's ATV-3 Spacecraft to Raise Space Station Orbit RIA Novosti 26 May 2012 -- Two main engines of European Space Agency's ATV-3 space freighter will be switched on early on Saturday to readjust the orbit of the International Space Station (ISS), Russian Mission Control said.
- ISS Astronauts Inspect, Praise SpaceX Dragon VOA 26 May 2012 -- Less than 24 hours after the Dragon capsule docked with the International Space Station, astronauts opened the hatch and floated into the first private spacecraft to ever reach their orbiting outpost.
- First Privately-Built Capsule Docks With Space Station RFE/RL 25 May 2012 -- The first privately built spacecraft to ever be launched into space has docked with the International Space Station (ISS).
- Dragon on Course for Space Station Docking VOA 24 May 2012 -- It has been a busy few days for the Dragon, the space capsule developed by the California-based company Space Exploration Technologies, or SpaceX. Dragon blasted off atop a Falcon 9 rocket from Cape Canaveral in Florida on Tuesday, headed for the International Space Station.
- Russia In Deadlock With Azerbaijan On Radar Site RIA Novosti 24 May 2012 -- Russia's Defense Ministry is disappointed by the lack of progress in talks with Azerbaijan over extending the lease of the missile defense radar station in Azeri town of Gabala, a source in the ministry said on Thursday.
- Russia Turns on New Missile Warning Radar RIA Novosti 23 May 2012 -- Russia placed its new Voronezh-M long-range missile warning radar on duty in the Irkutsk region of Siberia on Wednesday, marking a major increase in its missile early warning system capability..
- Moldova May Benefit From NATO Missile Defense – Minister RIA Novosti 23 May 2012 -- Moldova may become an indirect partner in construction of a European missile shield and receive missile warning data from radars deployed in neighboring Romania, Moldovan Defense Minister Vitalie Marinuta said on Wednesday.
- Private Spacecraft Heads to ISS VOA 22 May 2012 -- The private U.S. company Space Exploration Technologies, known as SpaceX, successfully launched its Falcon 9 rocket and reusable Dragon space capsule from Cape Canaveral in Florida before dawn Tuesday.
- First Private Rocket Blasts Off To Space Station RFE/RL 22 May 2012 -- An unmanned commercial rocket has blasted off from Florida on a test flight to the International Space Station (ISS).
- Russia Has No Business in NATO Missile Defense – Polish MP RIA Novosti 22 May 2012 -- Poland has warned Moscow against interfering in NATO's plans concerning the deployment of a missile shield in Europe as Russia is not a member of the military alliance, a high-ranking Polish official said on Tuesday.
- SpaceX Launches Dragon Space Freighter RIA Novosti 22 May 2012 -- The launch vehicle Falcon 9 with the Dragon spacecraft was launched on Tuesday to the International Space Station (ISS) from Cape Canaveral Air Force Base in the United States. The start is being broadcast live on NASA's website.
- NATO Unveils 'Working' European Missile Shield At Chicago Summit RFE/RL 21 May 2012 -- NATO has announced that its long-planned European missile shield is up and running, with a basic capability to shoot down incoming missiles.
- Rasmussen Announces First Step of European Missile Defense RIA Novosti 21 May 2012 -- NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen has announced the 'first step' of a European missile defense system at a NATO summit in Chicago.
- Moscow Reiterates Missile Defense Threats RIA Novosti 21 May 2012 -- Moscow recapitulated its position on European missile defense Monday, saying it will reserve the right to retaliate unless it receives legal guarantees that a NATO missile defense will not be directed at it.
- NATO Declares Missile Defense System Operational AFPS 20 May 2012 -- During its first session at the 25th NATO Summit here today, the alliance's senior governing body declared operational the missile defense system it endorsed at its November 2010 summit in Lisbon, Portugal, NATO's secretary general said.
- NATO declares interim missile defence capability NATO 20 May 2012 -- NATO leaders declared that the Alliance now has an interim ballistic missile defence capability at their summit in Chicago on 21 May, marking the first step in the development of a NATO missile-defence system.
- Imminent launching of Fajr satellite, sign of Iran's might, defense minister IRNA 19 May 2012 -- Minister of Defense Brigadier General Ahmad Vahidi said the imminent launching of Fajr satellite indicates Iran's authority and high scientific potential.
- First Private Cargo Ship Launch to ISS Aborted RIA Novosti 19 May 2012 -- A U.S. firm aborted on Saturday the lift-off of the first commercial cargo ship to the International Space Station (ISS) after an engine cut-off, NASA said.
- SpaceX Rocket Launch Aborted VOA 19 May 2012 -- A technical problem has forced the company SpaceX to abort what would have been the first launch of a privately owned capsule to the International Space Station.
- Japan Launches South Korean Satellite Into Orbit VOA 18 May 2012 -- Early Friday, Japan successfully launched a South Korean satellite. The historical accomplishment puts the Japanese in the same arena as European and Russian entities in the lucrative commercial space launch business.
- US Boosts Funding for Israel's 'Iron Dome' Defense System VOA 17 May 2012 -- The United States has fulfilled Israel's request for another $70 million to pay for Iron Dome, a missile defense system aimed at protecting Israelis from rockets fired by militants in the Gaza Strip.
- New Crew Docks at Space Station RIA Novosti 17 May 2012 -- A Nasa astronaut and two Russian cosmonauts docked with the ISS, beginning a four-month mission aboard the orbiting complex.
- Progress Continues Toward NATO Missile Defense System AFPS 15 May 2012 -- The US will announce at next week’s NATO summit in Chicago that the new missile defense system in Europe has reached interim operational capability.
- New Space Station Crew in Orbit RIA Novosti 15 May 2012 -- Two Russian cosmonauts and a NASA astronaut launched aboard the Soyuz TMA-04M spacecraft from the Baikonur Space Center in Kazakhstan.
- NATO Summit to Focus on Afghanistan, Missile Defense AFPS 14 May 2012 -- Afghanistan will top the agenda items at the upcoming NATO Summit in Chicago as coalition members consider an agreement on a long-term strategic partnership that promotes security and stability.
- NATO Chief: First Test Of Missile Defense Successful RFE/RL 14 May 2012 -- NATO's chief says the first comprehensive test has been completed of the alliance's planned new missile-defense system in Europe.
- Letterkenny Army Depot has Direct Impact on PATRIOT GTA Army News 14 May 2012 -- Letterkenny Army Depot's Major Item Division successfully completed the maintenance and fielding of the final PATRIOT GTA sell-back.
- Defense minster: Iran to launch Fajr satellite into space in June IRNA 13 May 2012 -- Defense Minister Brigadier General Ahmad Vahidi on Sunday said Iran is to launch Fajr satellite into space as a national defense project in June.
- U.S. Vows to Go Ahead with Missile Shield, Hopes for Russia's Cooperation RIA Novosti 11 May 2012 -- The United States and NATO will proceed with its European missile defense program despite Russia's concerns while continuing to seek Moscow's cooperation on the issue, U.S. Assistant Secretary of State for European and Eurasian Affairs Philip Gordon said.
- NATO Chief Looks To Summit, Dismisses Russian Rhetoric On Missile Shield RFE/RL 11 May 2012 -- NATO Secretary-General Anders Fogh Rasmussen has dismissed recent warnings by Russian officials about the defense alliance's plans to set up a missile-defense system in Europe
- Second-Generation Aegis Ballistic Missile Defense System Completes Successful Intercept Flight Test MDA 09 May 2012 -- The Missile Defense Agency (MDA) and U.S. Navy sailors aboard the USS LAKE ERIE (CG 70) successfully conducted a flight test of the Aegis Ballistic Missile Defense (BMD) system, resulting in the first intercept of a short-range ballistic missile target over the Pacific Ocean by the Navy’s newest Missile Defense interceptor, the Standard Missile – 3 (SM-3) Block 1B.
- Technology improves rescue support for rocket launches AFNS 09 May 2012 -- The 45th Space Wing successfully launched a communications satellite onboard an Atlas V rocket from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station on May 4. As the rocket lit up the sky and was hurled into space, personnel from the 920th Rescue Wing stood by and watched, knowing their part of the mission had already been accomplished.
- South Korea to File Complaints About North's Alleged GPS Jamming VOA 09 May 2012 -- South Korea is to file formal complaints with Pyongyang and relevant United Nations agencies about jamming of Global Positioning System (GPS) receiver frequencies that it contends emanates from North Korea.
- AF nominates 111 for astronaut candidate program AFNS 08 May 2012 -- The Air Force has nominated 111 Airmen for the 2012 NASA Astronaut Candidate Program, Air Force Personnel Center officials said.
- India's missile defence shield ready IRNA 06 May 2012 -- India has developed missile defence shield which can be put in place at short notice to protect at least two cities, bringing the country on par with an elite group of few nations.
- Russia Develops Revolutionary Ammonia Rocket Engine RIA Novosti 05 May 2012 -- Power engineering manufacturer Energomash has started development of a new rocket engine which could vastly reduce the cost of rocket launches and avoid the need to produce hydrogen for fuel, the makers say.
- U.S. Launches Advanced Military Communications Satellite RIA Novosti 05 May 2012 -- The United States Air Force has launched an advanced communications satellite, the second in a new satellite network designed to improve U.S. ability to control its military forces around the globe, the Space.com online portal reported.
- NATO plays down Russian military threats over US missile defense IRNA 04 May 2012 -- NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen here Friday played down Russia's latest military threats against US plans to deploy a controversial missile defense system in Europe.
- U.S. Says Ready to Search for Missile Defense Compromise RIA Novosti 04 May 2012 -- The U.S. Department of State said it was ready to intensify its efforts to find a mutually acceptable European missile shield solution hours after Russia threatened military countermeasures.
- Russia Offers Pyramid Radar for Missile Defense RIA Novosti 04 May 2012 -- Russia could offer use of its massive Don-2NP radar system near Moscow as part of an agreement with NATO on a European missile defense plan to counter medium and long-range missiles, Russia's Deputy Defense Minister Anatoly Antonov said on Friday.
- NATO’s vision for missile defense cooperation with Russia NATO 03 May 2012
- NATO calls for close partnership with Russia on missile defence NATO 03 May 2012-- NATO’s Deputy Secretary General, Ambassador Alexander Vershbow, called for close cooperation between NATO and Russia on missile defence.
- Moscow Takes Harder Line, But NATO Chief Still 'Hopeful' On Missile Defense RFE/RL 03 May 2012 -- NATO Secretary-General Anders Fogh Rasmussen has expressed hope that an agreement can still be reached with Russia on a NATO missile-defense system in Europe.
- Russia, NATO Missile Talks Reach ‘Dead-End’ RIA Novosti 03 May 2012 -- Russia and NATO remain at loggerheads over a U.S.-led project to build a missile shield in Europe, Russian Defense Minister Anatoly Serdyukov said.
- Russia: No Plans to Pull Out of INF Treaty RIA Novosti 03 May 2012 -- Russia has no plans to pull out of the Intermediate Range Nuclear Forces Treaty in response to a European missile defense system.
- Russia Does Not Rule Out Preemptive Missile Defense Strike RIA Novosti 03 May 2012 -- Russia does not exclude preemptive use of weapons against missile defense systems in Europe but only as a last resort.
- Missile Defense May Void Chinese Deterrent Soon - Ministry RIA Novosti 03 May 2012 -- Creation of a missile defense system for Europe may neutralize the deterrent of China's nuclear weapons much sooner than Russia's.
- Russia Sees Missile Defense as ‘Space Threat’ RIA Novosti 03 May 2012 -- A European missile defense system may threaten Russian satellites, Space Defense Forces chief Lt. Gen. Oleg Ostapenko said.
- Iranian Missile Program 'No Threat to Europe Yet' - Miraillet RIA Novosti 03 May 2012 -- Iran’s ballistic missile program does not yet pose a threat to Europe or the United States.
- Moscow Hosts Missile-Defense Meeting RFE/RL 03 May 2012 -- Russia is hosting a conference on missile defense today in the capital, Moscow.
- Experts to Make Missile Defense Case at Moscow Meeting AFPS 02 May 2012 -- At Russia’s international missile defense conference in Moscow, U.S. experts will make their case for missile defense plan.
- Commercial Launch to ISS Delayed Again VOA 02 May 2012 -- A private company called SpaceX plans to attempt something that has only been accomplished by governments - sending a spacecraft up to the International Space Station.
- NATO May Decide on Stepping Up Missile Defense in Chicago RIA Novosti 01 May 2012 -- NATO is likely to make new decisions on the further deployment of the European missile defense shield during summit in Chicago.
- Space Command TacSat 3 burns up in atmosphere AFNS 01 May 2012 -- Today marked the end of Air Force Space Command's Tactical Satellite 3 after it de-orbited into and burned up in the Earth's atmosphere.
- Dedicated satellites for India Navy, Air Force will be launched soon IRNA 01 May 2012 -- The dedicated communication satellites for Indian Navy and Air Force will be launched in the next two years.
- NASA Says Static Fire Tests of ISS-bound Dragon Successful RIA Novosti 01 May 2012 -- Static fire tests of Dragon, the first private spacecraft to be launched to the International Space Station, has been successful.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|