BAE SYSTEMS TEAM PURSUING AVIONICS CONTRACT FOR ARES I CREW LAUNCH VEHICLE
HUNTSVILLE, Alabama - BAE Systems will lead an industry team in pursuit of a contract to support NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center with the design, development and production of Instrument Unit Avionics (IUA) on the new Ares I Crew Launch Vehicle. With the retirement of the Space Shuttle in 2010, the Ares I is the next generation of space transportation as NASA continues to lead mankind in space exploration and scientific discovery.
The exclusive team, lead by BAE Systems as prime contractor, includes United Space Alliance, General Dynamics, Harris Corporation, Goodrich Corporation, Wyle Laboratories, Arcata Associates. Inc., Barrios Technology and AURA Instrumentation. The BAE Systems team has long-standing relationships with NASA and significant experience supporting the U.S. space program. Additional small businesses will be added to BAE Systems' IUA team over the next few weeks.
"The BAE Systems team brings together world-class companies with proven experience and capabilities," said Dr. Douglas Tighe, BAE Systems' vice president for Advanced Programs and Capture Manager for the IUA Contract. "Our team will offer NASA the avionics support required to ensure the success for this vital national program. BAE Systems and our teammates look forward to a partnership with NASA that will deliver a producible, reliable, sustainable and cost-effective Ares I solution."
The BAE Systems' Ares I Team
- Arcata Associates Inc. is an engineering services, information technology and multimedia company that provides technical and administrative services primarily to Federal Government clients: NASA, USAF and U.S. Navy. www.arcataassoc.com
- AURA Instrumentation is a woman-owned business headquartered in Mt. Vernon, NH. AURA is dedicated to helping people through innovation, technology, and education.www.aurainstrumentation.com
- Barrios Technology is a woman-owned business headquartered in Houston, Texas. Barrios has expertise in aerospace engineering, space operations, information technology, and training. www.barrios.com
- General Dynamics designs, develops, manufactures, integrates, operates and maintains mission systems for defense, space, intelligence, surveillance, reconnaissance, homeland security and homeland defense customers. www.gdais.com
- Goodrich Corporation is a global supplier of systems and services to aerospace, defense and homeland security markets.www.goodrich.com
- Harris Corporation is an international communications and information technology company serving government and commercial markets in more than 150 countries.www.harris.com
- United Space Alliance is a world leader in space operations. With extensive experience in all aspects of space operations, USA provides operations services to customers in the civil, commercial and international space industry sectors.www.unitedspacealliance.com
- Wyle Laboratories is a privately held company and a leader in providing high tech aerospace engineering, testing and research services to commercial, industrial and government customers. www.wylelabs.com
About BAE Systems
BAE Systems is a global defense and aerospace company, delivering a full range of products and services for air, land, and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, information technology solutions, and customer support services. BAE Systems, with 88,000 employees worldwide, had 2006 sales that exceeded $25 billion.
For further information, please contact:
Karen Harmon-Smith, BAE Systems
Tel: +1 256 890 8009 Cell: +1 256 508 0084
Susan Lenover, BAE Systems
Tel: +1 703 907 8259 Cell: +1 703 850 1621
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|