'. . . to insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense . . .'
Edited by Dr. Max G. Manwaring.
On April 11-13, 2000, the U.S. Army War College Strategic Studies Institute sponsored a major conference that examined what the Department of Defense must do "to insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence . . ., given the increasing contemporary threats to the U.S. homeland.
This book highlights the issues and themes that ran through the conference. As such, it is not a comprehensive record of the proceedings. It is organized as an anthology of the best of a series of outstanding conference presentations, revised in light of the discussions that took place there. Finally, the anthology is complemented by an overview and four specific recommendations. Those recommendations look to the future and place emphasis on the transformation strategy that conference participants considered essential to safeguard the American homeland now and into the future.
Max G. Manwaring
1. A Strategic Perspective on U. S. Homeland Defense: Problem and Response
John J. Hamre
2. The Army of the Constitution: The Historical Context
Gregory J.W. Urwin
3. The Public’s Expectations of National Security
Peter D. Feaver
4. Security Expectations for Transnational Corporations
George K. Campbell
5. Ballistic and Cruise Missile Threats
Steven A. Cambone
6. Chemical and Biological Terrorism: Political Hype or Bona Fide Post-Cold War Threat?
7. Infrastructure Warriors: A Threat to the U.S. Homeland by Organized Crime
Thomas A. Johnson
8. Threat of Civil Unrest and Insurrection
William A. Navas, Jr.
9. Missile Defense
10. Evolving Roles and Missions for the Reserve Components in Responding to Incidents Involving Weapons of Mass Destruction
11. In Support of the Civil Authorities
Donald A. Haus
12. Where Domestic Security and Civil Liberties Collide
Charles J. Dunlap, Jr.
13. A Strategic View of Where the Army Is: Homeland Defense and Issues of Civil-Military Relations
Don M. Snider
John A. Nagl
14. Toward a National Security Policy and Strategy for Now and the 21st Century
Edwin G. Corr
Max G. Manwaring
About the Contributors
Access Full Report [PDF]: '. . . to insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense . . .'
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|