29 November 2022 Security News
Other Security News
COVID-19 Pandemic News
Other Security News
- Leader of Oath Keepers and Oath Keepers Member Found Guilty of Seditious Conspiracy and Other Charges Related to U.S. Capitol Breach US Dept. of Justice 29 Nov 2022 -- Elmer Stewart Rhodes III, the founder and leader of the Oath Keepers, and Kelly Meggs, the leader of the Florida chapter of the organization, were found guilty by a jury today of seditious conspiracy and other charges for crimes related to the breach of the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021. Their actions disrupted a joint session of the U.S. Congress that was in the process of ascertaining and counting the electoral votes related to the presidential election.
- Oath Keepers Founder Steward Rhodes Found Guilty of Seditious Conspiracy Over Capitol Riot Sputnik 29 Nov 2022 -- Prosecutors said that Rhodes ran a months-long plot, intending to bring violence to the Capitol and prevent the inauguration of US President Joe Biden.
- Australia Lowers National Terrorism Threat Level, Shifts Focus on Foreign Interference and Espionage VOA 29 Nov 2022 -- Australia has five official levels under its national terrorism threat classification system, ranging from "certain" to "not expected."
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- New COVID-19 subvariants account for over half new cases in U.S. People's Daily 29 Nov 2022 -- New Omicron subvariants BQ.1 and BQ.1.1 accounted for over half of new COVID-19 cases in the United States in the latest week, according to the latest estimates of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
- Epidemic control measures should be lifted in a timely manner to minimize inconvenience to people: NHC Global Times 29 Nov 2022 -- Officials from Chinese National Health Commission said COVID-19 control measures should be lifted in a timely manner, and they vowed to seriously deal with excessive epidemic management measures at a press conference on Tuesday as various cities in China announced optimized policies to reduce the impact of epidemic on people's life.
- Chinese officials call on the elderly to get vaccinated, reiterating high-risk of severe disease Global Times 29 Nov 2022 -- Chinese health officials on Tuesday once again called on the elderly to get vaccinated, reiterating the high risk of developing severe disease after infection, as the Joint Prevention and Control Mechanism of the State Council issued new guidance for senior citizen vaccination.
- Guangdong will allow qualifying close contacts to implement home quarantine: local official Global Times 29 Nov 2022 -- A top official in South China's Guangdong Province on Sunday ordered local epidemic prevention and control authorities to carefully identify COVID-19 cases and close contacts, allow qualifying close contacts to implement home quarantine, and lift COVID-19 restrictions in qualified areas in time to minimize the impact of the epidemic on public work and life.
- Taiwan calls on China to adjust strict COVID-19 policy amid protests (update) CNA 29 Nov 2022 -- Taiwan has called on China to respond to people's demands by making changes to its harsh and excessive COVID-19 restrictions following the recent mass protests that have erupted there.
- Overseas activists call for Xi Jinping's resignation, warn of crackdown on protests Radio Free Asia 29 Nov 2022 -- Rights activists and democracy campaigners outside China have come out in strong support of the "white paper" protest movement last weekend that was sparked by a fire in a locked-down apartment building in Xinjiang's regional capital, Urumqi.
- China's rights lawyers volunteer to help wave of lockdown protest detainees Radio Free Asia 29 Nov 2022 -- Chinese human rights lawyers have been scrambling to assist the friends and families of people arrested during a wave of anti-lockdown protests over the weekend, many of whom have little experience being treated as dissidents by Chinese authorities.
- Anti-Government Protests Grow in China and Elsewhere While Technology Tries to Keep Up VOA 29 Nov 2022 -- As protests continue in cities across China over the government's harsh "zero-COVID" policy, a separate battle is taking place on social media sites within China and around the world; a fight that is testing the strength of China's online censorship apparatus, known as the Great Firewall.
- China Strengthens Police Presence in Response to Protests VOA 29 Nov 2022 -- Chinese police patrolled the capital, Beijing, and China's largest city and financial hub, Shanghai on Tuesday, working to prevent the resurgence of protests against the country's COVID restrictions that have also included rare calls for President Xi Jinping to step down.
- Tourist attractions suspended amid COVID-19 resurgence in Shanghai Global Times 29 Nov 2022 -- Tourist attractions including Shanghai Disney Resort will be temporarily closed starting from Tuesday amid the latest resurgence of COVID-19 in the city. On Monday, Shanghai reported 20 local confirmed cases and 158 asymptomatic carriers, including three COVID-19 cases and three asymptomatic carriers detected at the community level, according to Shanghai health authorities on Tuesday.
- Sinopharm's F61 nasal spray receives clinical trial approval for people at high risk of exposure to COVID-19 Global Times 29 Nov 2022 -- The recombinant human monoclonal antibody nasal spray against SARS-CoV-2 (F61 Nasal Spray) of Sinopharm's Wuhan Institute of Biological Products has received approval for clinical trials from the National Medical Products Administration (NMPA) for people at high risk of exposure to the novel coronavirus, the company announced on Monday.
- Urumqi steps up resumption of normal life, rolls out measures to ensure operation of husbandry amid cold weather Global Times 29 Nov 2022 -- Authorities in the COVID-hit Urumqi, capital of Northwest China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region, announced on Monday to step up resumption of normal life and production order with many livelihood-related functions including couriers and airlines to be resumed since epidemic situation in the city has been improving.
- China strives to ensure livelihoods while fighting COVID-19 resurgences People's Daily 29 Nov 2022 -- To curb the latest COVID-19 resurgences across the country, Chinese authorities are implementing the newly-released 20 measures in a more targeted and scientific manner to ensure people's livelihoods.
- Chinese mainland reports 3,561 new local confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 29 Nov 2022 -- The Chinese mainland on Monday reported 3,561 locally transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases, the National Health Commission said Tuesday.
- Beijing working to replenish courier team amid COVID-19 control People's Daily 29 Nov 2022 -- Beijing authorities said on Monday that the city is working to relieve the strain on courier delivery services after some couriers were confined at home due to COVID-19 control.
- Iran registers zero COVID-19 deaths in 24 hours IRNA 29 Nov 2022 -- The number of deaths from the coronavirus pandemic in Iran stayed unchanged at 144,633 with another zero death day over the past 24 hours, Iran's Health Ministry announced on Tuesday.
- Taiwan reports 17,289 new COVID-19 cases, 21 deaths CNA 29 Nov 2022 -- Taiwan on Tuesday reported 17,289 new COVID-19 infections and 21 deaths from the disease, according to the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC).
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|