17 October 2022 Security News
Other Security News
COVID-19 Pandemic News
Other Security News
- Terrorist Designation of Al-Shabaab Leaders US Dept. of State 17 Oct 2022 -- The United States remains steadfast in our support of East African and African Union-led efforts to counter the threat from al-Shabaab, one of al-Qa'ida's most dangerous affiliates, which has killed thousands of people, including Americans, in Somalia and across East Africa.
- Treasury Designates al-Shabaab Financial Facilitators US Treasury 17 Oct 2022 -- Today, the U.S. Department of the Treasury designated a network of al-Shabaab financial facilitators who hold leadership roles within al-Shabaab and act as key interlocutors between the group and local companies in Somalia. This network has engaged in weapons procurement, financial facilitation, and recruitment activities for al-Shabaab. In addition to being leaders within al-Shabaab, these facilitators have had direct contact with other previously designated al-Shabaab officials. These individuals are being designated pursuant to Executive Order (E.O.) 13224, as amended, which targets terrorist groups and their supporters. Concurrent with Treasury's designations, the U.S. Department of State designated five al-Shabaab leaders pursuant to E.O. 13224, as amended, for their leadership roles within al-Shabaab.
- US Seeks to Sap Al-Shabab Finances VOA 17 Oct 2022 -- The United States is expanding its fight against al-Qaida's affiliate in Somalia, adding a new, expansive round of sanctions to drone strikes and military advice from U.S. forces on the ground.
- Former San Diego Resident Sentenced to 20 Years for Funding ISIS Terrorist Activities in Syria US Dept. of Justice 17 Oct 2022 -- A Canadian national and former resident of San Diego, California, was sentenced in federal court today to 20 years in prison, followed by 36 months of supervised release, for conspiring with others to provide material support to terrorists engaged in violent activities such as murder, kidnapping and maiming of persons in Syria.
- ISIL/Da'esh and Al-Qaeda: EU restrictive measures prolonged for an additional year EC/CEU 17 Oct 2022 -- The Council adopted today a decision prolonging the restrictive measures against ISIL/Da'esh and Al-Qaeda and persons, groups, undertakings and entities associated with them for a further year, until 31 October 2023.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Despite Costs, Xi Defends China's Zero-COVID Policy VOA 17 Oct 2022 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping reaffirmed his commitment to his government's zero-COVID policy during an address to the Chinese Communist Party's 20th Party Congress Sunday.
- Chinese mainland reports 182 new local confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 17 Oct 2022 -- The Chinese mainland on Sunday reported 182 locally transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases, the National Health Commission said Monday.
- India's Cumulative COVID-19 Vaccination Coverage exceeds 219.33 Cr India PIB 17 Oct 2022 -- India's COVID-19 vaccination coverage has exceeded 219.33 Cr (2,19,33,43,651) as per provisional reports till 7 am today.
- COVID-19 UPDATE India PIB 17 Oct 2022
- COVID-19 kills 4 more Iranians over past 24 hours IRNA 17 Oct 2022 -- The number of deaths from the coronavirus pandemic in Iran increased to 144,523 with 4 more Iranians killed by the deadly disease over the past 24 hours, Iran's Health Ministry announced on Monday.
- S.Korea reports 11,040 new COVID-19 cases People's Daily 17 Oct 2022 -- South Korea reported 11,040 new COVID-19 cases as of midnight Sunday compared to 24 hours ago, raising the total number of infections to 25,131,505, the health authorities said Monday.
- Taiwan reports 28,847 new COVID-19 cases, 53 deaths CNA 17 Oct 2022 -- Taiwan reported 28,847 new COVID-19 infections and 53 deaths from the disease Monday, according to the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC).
- New Zealand logs 14,311 new COVID-19 community cases over past week People's Daily 17 Oct 2022 -- New Zealand recorded 14,311 new community cases of COVID-19 and 34 more deaths from the pandemic over the past week, the country's Ministry of Health said on Monday.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|