18 August 2022 Security News
Other Security News
COVID-19 Pandemic News
Other Security News
- Estonia Repels Massive Cyberattack Linked To Removal Of Soviet Memorial RFE/RL 18 Aug 2022 -- Estonia says it was targeted by "the most extensive cyberattacks since 2007" shortly after removing a Soviet-era monument in a region with a sizeable ethnic Russian majority.
- Russian Sought By U.S. Over 'Ryuk' Ransomware Extradited From Netherlands RFE/RL 18 Aug 2022 -- A Russian national sought by U.S. prosecutors for allegedly laundering cryptocurrency tied to a notorious ransomware gang has been extradited to the United States from the Netherlands.
- Press Briefing by White House Monkeypox Response Team and Public Health Officials The White House 18 Aug 2022
- FACT SHEET: White House Announces New Actions to Combat Monkeypox Outbreak The White House 18 Aug 2022
- US to Boost Monkeypox Vaccine Supply VOA 18 Aug 2022 -- The White House announced Thursday it will make an additional 1.8 million doses of monkeypox vaccine available for distribution beginning next week.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- WHO expert group recommends second COVID-19 booster for vulnerable groups UN News 18 Aug 2022 -- Countries should consider giving a second COVID-19 vaccine booster to older persons, pregnant women, health workers, people with weaker immune systems and those at higher risk of severe disease, experts appointed by the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Thursday.
- WHO Experts Recommend COVID Booster Shots for High-Risk People VOA 18 Aug 2022 -- A group of World Health Organization experts is recommending COVID-19 booster shots for people at the highest risk of severe illness and death. The Strategic Advisory Group of Experts on Immunization or SAGE, which met in extraordinary session August 11, issued its updated guidance Thursday.
- COVID resurgence spirals to highest in 3 months Global Times 18 Aug 2022 -- The recent wave of COVID-19 resurgence in China driven by Omicron variants has been fermenting for about a month, and the daily tally reached its highest level in about three months with a total of 3,424 new cases being reported on Thursday.
- Chinese mainland reports 614 new local confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 18 Aug 2022 -- The Chinese mainland on Wednesday reported 614 locally-transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases, of which 496 were in Hainan Province, the National Health Commission said Thursday.
- China's Hainan readies over 21,000 makeshift beds as COVID-19 infections surge People's Daily 18 Aug 2022 -- South China's island province of Hainan had readied 26,103 quarantine rooms and 21,003 makeshift beds as of Tuesday to cope with the latest COVID-19 resurgence, local authorities said Wednesday.
- India's Cumulative COVID-19 Vaccination Coverage exceeds 208.95 Cr India PIB 18 Aug 2022 -- India's COVID-19 vaccination coverage has exceeded 208.95 Cr (2,08,95,79,722) as per provisional reports till 7 am today. This has been achieved through 2,77,65,601 sessions.
- COVID - 19 Vaccination Update - Day 580 India PIB 18 Aug 2022 -- India's COVID-19 vaccination coverage has crossed 209.23 Crore (2,09,23,14,643) today. More than 25 lakh (25,82,101) Vaccine Doses have been administered till 7 pm today. The daily vaccination tally is expected to increase with the compilation of the final reports for the day by late tonight.
- Update on COVID-19 Vaccine Availability in States/UTs India PIB 18 Aug 2022 -- The Union Government is committed to accelerating the pace and expanding the scope of COVID-19 vaccination throughout the country. The nationwide COVID 19 vaccination started on 16th January 2021. The new phase of universalization of COVID-19 vaccination commenced from 21st June 2021. The vaccination drive has been ramped up through availability of more vaccines, advance visibility of vaccine availability to States and UTs for enabling better planning by them, and streamlining the vaccine supply chain.
- COVID-19 UPDATE India PIB 18 Aug 2022
- COVID-19 kills 62 more Iranians over past 24 hours IRNA 18 Aug 2022 -- The number of deaths from the coronavirus pandemic in Iran increased to 143,222 with 62 more Iranians killed by the deadly disease over the past 24 hours, Iran's Health Ministry announced on Thursday.
- Taiwan reports 23,425 new COVID-19 cases, 34 deaths CNA 18 Aug 2022 -- Taiwan on Thursday reported 23,425 new cases of COVID-19, all but 337 of which were domestic infections, and 34 deaths from the disease, according to the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC).
- Taiwan confirms first domestic cluster of COVID-19 BA.4 subvariant CNA 18 Aug 2022 -- The first domestic cluster infection of the BA.4 Omicron subvariant of the COVID-19 virus has been confirmed in northern Taiwan, within a single family, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said Thursday.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|