02 August 2022 Security News
Other Security News
COVID-19 Pandemic News
Other Security News
- Al-Qaeda Chief Killed In Posh Kabul Neighborhood Largely Built With U.S. Taxpayer Money RFE/RL Gandhara 02 Aug 2022 -- For years, Al-Qaeda chief Ayman al-Zawahri was believed to be hiding in the remote, mountainous areas straddling Afghanistan's border with Pakistan.
- Al-Qaida Succession Plan Being Put to Test VOA 02 Aug 2022 -- The death of al-Qaida leader Ayman al-Zawahiri in a U.S. airstrike is likely to test the terror group's resolve and coherence - and possibly strain long-crafted succession plans - just as it was seemingly positioned to be the world's preeminent jihadist threat.
- US, Taliban Exchange Blame after Al-Zawahiri's Killing VOA 02 Aug 2022 -- Hours before U.S. President Joe Biden announced that al-Qaida leader Ayman al-Zawahiri was killed by a U.S. drone strike in central Kabul on July 30, the Taliban accused Washington of violating the February 2020 U.S.-Taliban deal known as the Doha Agreement.
- U.S. Drone Strike Kills al-Qaida Leader in Kabul DoD News 02 Aug 2022 -- Ayman al-Zawahiri, one of the perpetrators of the 9-11 attacks that killed almost 3,000 people in New York, at the Pentagon and in Pennsylvania, was killed by U.S. drone missiles in Afghanistan's capital, President Joe Biden announced yesterday.
- White House: US Has 'Visual Confirmation' of al-Qaeda Chief Zawahiri's Death, But No DNA Sputnik 02 Aug 2022 -- The United States has "visual confirmation" of the death of the leader of al-Qaeda* Ayman al-Zawahiri, but no DNA proof, National Security Coordinator for Strategic Communications John Kirby said on Tuesday.
- Pakistani Airspace 'Likely Was Used' in US Drone Strike That Killed al-Qaeda Leader Sputnik 02 Aug 2022 -- US counter-terrorism operations in the region remain a controversial subject in Pakistan, which has suffered massive collateral damage due to the Bush-era 'War on Terror'. Former PM Imran Khan had vowed that Islamabad won't host any American bases, nor would Pakistan allow the country's airspace to be used for over-the-horizon operations.
- 'This Terrorist Leader is No More': Biden Confirms US Strike Killed al-Qaeda Figure Al-Zawahiri Sputnik 02 Aug 2022 -- Biden's late Monday address came hours after reports first surfaced detailing that the US military had successfully killed an al-Qaeda* operative over the weekend in Afghanistan.
- Will Al-Zawahiri's Killing Have Impact on Al-Qaida Affiliates in Syria? VOA 02 Aug 2022 -- The killing of al-Qaida leader Ayman al-Zawahiri in a U.S. strike in Afghanistan will likely have little impact on the terror group's affiliates in war-torn Syria, analysts say.
- U.S. Drone Strike In Afghanistan Kills Al-Qaeda Leader RFE/RL 02 Aug 2022 -- U.S. President Joe Biden says Al-Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahri, one of the world's most-wanted terrorists, was killed over the weekend in a U.S. drone strike in Kabul.
- Biden says U.S. killed al-Qaeda leader al-Zawahiri in drone strike People's Daily 02 Aug 2022 -- U.S. President Joe Biden announced Monday evening that al-Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahiri had been killed in a drone strike in Kabul, Afghanistan.
- Biden claims al-Qaeda leader killed in Afghanistan airstrike Press TV 02 Aug 2022 -- The al-Qaeda leader has been reportedly killed in a CIA drone strike on a residential area in Afghanistan's capital city, Kabul.
- Justice Department Investigating More Than 100 Cases of Threats Against Election Workers VOA 02 Aug 2022 -- The U.S. Justice Department is investigating more than 100 cases of threats made against local election officials over the past year, most of them in states that former President Donald Trump lost to President Joe Biden during the 2020 election.
- President Biden Announces Team to Lead Monkeypox Response The White House 02 Aug 2022
- US Illinois Governor Declares State of Emergency Over Monkeypox Sputnik 02 Aug 2022 -- An emergency regime has been imposed in the US state of Illinois over the spread of monkeypox, Governor Jay Robert Pritzker said.
- Monkeypox concern heightened after becoming a 'northern' disease, says WHO UN News 02 Aug 2022 -- Countries need to work more together to stop the rapidly spreading outbreak of monkeypox, "no matter the nationality, skin colour or religion of the affected population," the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday.
- India Reports First Death Due to Monkeypox VOA 02 Aug 2022 -- India is accelerating action against the monkeypox virus after reporting its first death due to monkeypox in the southern state of Kerala, that of a 22-year-old man who had recently returned from the United Arab Emirates.
- Tajik Biochemist In Australia Pleads Guilty To Charge Of Inciting Terrorism Abroad RFE/RL 02 Aug 2022 -- A Tajikistan-born former researcher at the University of Western Australia has pleaded guilty to a charge of inciting terrorism abroad.
- Oklahoma National Guard supports wildland firefighting Army News 02 Aug 2022 -- Oklahoma Army National Guard helicopter crews dropped nearly 400,000 gallons of water on wildfires in Northwestern Oklahoma July 16-19 and 27-29.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Chinese mainland reports 46 new local confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 02 Aug 2022 -- The Chinese mainland on Monday reported 46 locally-transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases, including 10 in Gansu, and nine in Guangxi and Sichuan respectively, the National Health Commission said Tuesday.
- Health Union: Commission signs Joint Procurement contract with HIPRA for COVID-19 vaccines European Commission 02 Aug 2022 -- HERA, the European Commission's Health Preparedness and Response Authority, has signed a joint procurement Framework Contract with the company HIPRA HUMAN HEALTH for the supply of their protein COVID-19 vaccine.
- India's Cumulative COVID-19 Vaccination Coverage exceeds 204.60 Cr India PIB 02 Aug 2022 -- India's COVID-19 vaccination coverage has exceeded 204.60 Cr (2,04,60,81,081) as per provisional reports till 7 am today. This has been achieved through 2,71,14,804 sessions.
- COVID - 19 Vaccination Update - Day 564 India PIB 02 Aug 2022 -- India's COVID-19 vaccination coverage has crossed 204.82 Crore (2,04,82,07,705) today. More than 19 lakh (19,90,703) Vaccine Doses have been administered till 7 pm today. The daily vaccination tally is expected to increase with the compilation of the final reports for the day by late tonight.
- Update on COVID-19 Vaccine Availability in States/UTs India PIB 02 Aug 2022 -- The Union Government is committed to accelerating the pace and expanding the scope of COVID-19 vaccination throughout the country. The nationwide COVID 19 vaccination started on 16th January 2021. The new phase of universalization of COVID-19 vaccination commenced from 21st June 2021. The vaccination drive has been ramped up through availability of more vaccines, advance visibility of vaccine availability to States and UTs for enabling better planning by them, and streamlining the vaccine supply chain.
- COVID-19 UPDATE India PIB 02 Aug 2022
- COVID-19 kills 74 more Iranians over past 24 hours IRNA 02 Aug 2022 -- The number of deaths from the coronavirus pandemic in Iran increased to 142,134 with 74 more Iranians killed by the deadly disease over the past 24 hours, Iran's Health Ministry announced on Tuesday.
- Taiwan reports 23,556 new COVID-19 cases, 31 deaths CNA 02 Aug 2022 -- Taiwan recorded 23,556 new COVID-19 cases on Tuesday, all but 254 of which were domestic infections, and 31 deaths from the disease, according to the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC).
- Strong Protective Anti-epidemic Posture Maintained in DPRK KCNA 02 Aug 2022 -- A vigorous anti-epidemic campaign to protect the safety of the country and the people's lives and health from the ever-looming threat of the epidemic virus sweeping the world continuously goes on as the top priority across the DPRK and its society.
- Epidemic Spread and Treatment Results in DPRK KCNA 02 Aug 2022 -- According to information of the state emergency anti-epidemic headquarters, no new fever cases, with 49 recoveries, were reported from 18:00 of July 31 to 18:00 of August 1 throughout the country.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|