12 May 2022 Security News
Other Security News
- Enhanced co-operation and disclosure of electronic evidence: 22 countries sign new Protocol to Cybercrime Convention Council of Europe 12 May 2022 -- The Second Additional Protocol to the Convention on Cybercrime (Budapest Convention), aimed at enhancing co-operation and disclosure of electronic evidence has been opened for signature at a conference organised under the Italian Presidency of the Council of Europe's Committee of Ministers.
- United States Signs Protocol to Strengthen International Law Enforcement Cooperation to Combat Cybercrime US Dept. of Justice 12 May 2022 -- At the Council of Europe (COE) headquarters in Strasbourg, France, on May 12, Deputy Assistant Attorney General (DAAG) Richard Downing of the U.S. Department of Justice's Criminal Division signed the Second Additional Protocol to the Convention on Cybercrime on enhanced cooperation and disclosure of electronic evidence on behalf of the U.S. government.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Nations Pledge Over $3B to Fight Pandemic VOA 12 May 2022 -- World leaders pledged more than $3 billion on Thursday for the global fight against the pandemic, as the United States marked a grim point in its own COVID-19 battle - and without the billions of dollars in emergency funding Biden has sought from Congress.
- Remarks by President Biden at the Global COVID-19 Summit The White House 12 May 2022
- 2nd COVID-19 Co-Host Statement The White House 12 May 2022
- Background Press Call by Senior Administration Official Previewing the Second Global COVID Summit The White House 12 May 2022
- Remarks by Vice President Harris at the Global Covid-19 Summit The White House 12 May 2022
- 2nd Global COVID-19 Summit Commitments The White House 12 May 2022
- Statement from President Biden and President von der Leyen on occasion of the second Global COVID-19 Summit, May 12, 2022 The White House 12 May 2022
- Statement from President Joe Biden Marking One Million American Lives Lost to COVID-19 The White House 12 May 2022
- China announces blanket ban on 'non-essential' overseas travel, citing pandemic Radio Free Asia 12 May 2022 -- China on Thursday announced it would place strict curbs on "non-essential" travel overseas by its nationals, amid a surge in immigration inquiries after weeks of grueling mass testing, lockdowns and forcible mass transportation to quarantine camps.
- Chinese mainland reports 222 new local COVID-19 cases, 144 in Shanghai People's Daily 12 May 2022 -- The Chinese mainland on Wednesday reported 222 confirmed local COVID-19 cases, of which 144 were in Shanghai, the National Health Commission said on Thursday.
- Beijing refutes rumors of lockdown, reassures of adequate food supplies amid hoarding Global Times 12 May 2022 -- Amid claims circulating that Beijing would be locked down, which led to local residents flooding supermarkets to hoard food, Beijing officials on Thursday clarified that these are just rumors, but local residents are suggested to stay at home and take nucleic acid testing in the following three days as a bid to curb transmission in communities as early as possible.
- Shanghai's epidemic situation further stabilized with fewer daily cases Global Times 12 May 2022 -- Shanghai on Wednesday found 1,449 new COVID-19 positive cases, which represents the ninth consecutive day to report fewer than 5,000 cases, as the epidemic situation becomes stable and improved, but authorities said the regional rebound risk still exists.
- Beijing orders more residents to work from home, cuts taxi services to curb COVID flare-up Global Times 12 May 2022 -- Beijing has added another district of Haidian in its work-from-home list starting from Thursday, and suspended taxi services to parts of Chaoyang and two other districts, in efforts to bring down an epidemic wave that has by far infected 892 people.
- China has provided over 2.2 billion COVID vaccine doses to world People's Daily 12 May 2022 -- China has provided more than 2.2 billion doses of COVID-19 vaccine to over 120 countries and international organizations by Wednesday, most of which are developing countries, new official data showed.
- 571 COVID-19 patients discharged from hospitals on Chinese mainland People's Daily 12 May 2022 -- A total of 571 COVID-19 patients were discharged from hospitals after recovery on the Chinese mainland on Wednesday, the National Health Commission said in its Thursday report.
- Shanghai reports 144 confirmed, 1,305 asymptomatic local COVID-19 cases People's Daily 12 May 2022 -- China's Shanghai reported 144 confirmed locally transmitted COVID-19 cases and 1,305 local asymptomatic cases on Wednesday, the municipal health commission said Thursday.
- Beijing reports 56 new local COVID-19 infections People's Daily 12 May 2022 -- Beijing reported 56 new locally transmitted COVID-19 infections between 3 p.m. Tuesday and 3 p.m. Wednesday, said local authorities during a press conference held Wednesday.
- First-dose COVID-19 vaccination rate for elderly, disabled homes reaches 84 pct People's Daily 12 May 2022 -- The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) government announced Wednesday that the overall vaccination rate for the first dose of COVID-19 vaccines at residential care homes (RCH) for the elderly and disabled persons has reached 84 percent.
- Statement by President von der Leyen and President Biden on occasion of the second Global COVID-19 Summit European Commission 12 May 2022 -- The United States of America and the European Union are implementing the U.S.-EU Agenda for Beating the Global Pandemic, Vaccinating the World, Saving Lives Now and Building Back Better Health Security of 22 September 2021.
- India's Cumulative COVID-19 Vaccination Coverage exceeds 190.83 Cr India PIB 12 May 2022 -- India's COVID-19 vaccination coverage has exceeded 190.83 Cr (1,90,83,96,788) as per provisional reports till 7 am today. This has been achieved through 2,38,04,578 sessions.
- COVID - 19 Vaccination Update - Day 482 India PIB 12 May 2022 -- India's COVID-19 vaccination coverage has crossed 190.97 Crore (1,90,97,52,061) today. More than 12 lakh (12,15,131) Vaccine Doses have been administered till 7 pm today. The daily vaccination tally is expected to increase with the compilation of the final reports for the day by late tonight.
- Update on COVID-19 Vaccine Availability in States/UTs India PIB 12 May 2022 -- The Union Government is committed to accelerating the pace and expanding the scope of COVID-19 vaccination throughout the country. The nationwide COVID 19 vaccination started on 16th January 2021. The new phase of universalization of COVID-19 vaccination commenced from 21st June 2021. The vaccination drive has been ramped up through availability of more vaccines, advance visibility of vaccine availability to States and UTs for enabling better planning by them, and streamlining the vaccine supply chain.
- COVID-19 UPDATE India PIB 12 May 2022
- COVID-19 kills 3 Iranians over past 24 hours IRNA 12 May 2022 -- The number of deaths from the coronavirus pandemic in Iran increased to 141,201 with 3 more Iranians killed by the deadly disease over the past 24 hours, Iran's Health Ministry announced on Thursday.
- Taiwan reports 65,446 new COVID-19 cases, 17 deaths CNA 12 May 2022 -- Taiwan's single-day COVID-19 cases exceeded 60,000 for the first time on Thursday, with 65,446 new cases and 17 deaths from the disease, according to the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC).
- North Korea confirms first COVID-19 cases and at least 1 death Radio Free Asia 12 May 2022 -- North Korea acknowledged its first confirmed COVID-19 cases and at least one death from the disease on Thursday, after more than two years of claiming the country was "virus free."
- North Korea's Kim Orders Lockdown as First COVID-19 Outbreak Is Confirmed VOA 12 May 2022 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong Un ordered a nationwide lockdown Thursday to try to contain a highly transmissible variant of coronavirus that causes COVID-19, which was confirmed in the country this week for the first time.
- WHO ready to support DPR Korea battle COVID-19 infections UN News 12 May 2022 -- The World Health Organization (WHO) said on Thursday that it is committed to helping the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), respond to COVID-19, after its first declared infection was reported in the media there.
- North Korea Reports More Than 18,000 COVID-19 Cases in Country, Eight Fatalities - Reports Sputnik 12 May 2022 -- North Korea has so far registered more than 18,000 COVID-19 cases in the country, with eight fatalities, the Yonhap news agency reported on Friday, citing North Korean state media.
- China Vows to Support North Korea in Fight Against COVID-19 Outbreak Sputnik 12 May 2022 -- China will make every effort to support North Korea in the battle against the country's new COVID-19 outbreak, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian said on Thursday.
- DPRK leader calls for "maximum emergency" measures following first COVID-19 case People's Daily 12 May 2022 -- Kim Jong Un, top leader of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), on Thursday urged the public to implement "maximum emergency" prevention measures after the first-ever COVID-19 case in over two years was confirmed, the official Korean Central News Agency reported.
- North Korea Confirms Its First Detection of COVID-19 VOA 12 May 2022 -- North Korea, which has largely kept its borders shuttered over the pandemic, Thursday confirmed its first detection of the omicron variant of COVID-19 in the country.
- Political Bureau of C.C., WPK Decides to Switch over from State Epidemic Prevention Work to Maximum Emergency Epidemic Prevention System KCNA 12 May 2022 -- The Political Bureau of the Central Committee of the Workers' Party of Korea (WPK) on May 12 decided as follows in connection with the grave situation such as the inroads of stealth Omicron variant into the country amid the ever-worsening worldwide public health crisis:
- High COVID-19 caseload in Western Australia sparks concern for health care system People's Daily 12 May 2022 -- The state of Western Australia (WA) continues to see a spike in COVID infections, which arouses concern for its health care system.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|