16 March 2022 Security News
Other Security News
COVID-19 Pandemic News
Other Security News
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Misinformation that Omicron is 'the last COVID-19 variant' fuelling uptick worldwide: WHO UN News 16 Mar 2022 -- A combination of factors, including misinformation that the pandemic is over, the lifting of mask mandates, ending physical distancing - and a more transmissible Omicron BA.2 variant - are causing an increase of COVID-19 cases globally, the World Health Organization warned on Wednesday.
- U.S. kids hospitalization rates during Omicron surge five times higher than in Delta surge: CDC People's Daily 16 Mar 2022 -- During the Omicron variant predominance beginning in last December, U.S. infants and children aged under four were hospitalized at approximately five times the rate of the previous peak during Delta surge, according to a new study published Tuesday by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
- Nearly 12.8 mln children in U.S. infected with COVID-19 People's Daily 16 Mar 2022 -- Almost 12.8 million children in the United States have tested positive for COVID-19 since the onset of the pandemic, according to the latest report published by the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) and the Children's Hospital Association.
- New COVID Lockdowns in China Spark Fears of Economic Disruption VOA 16 Mar 2022 -- A growing COVID-19 outbreak in China has pushed the number of infections reported by the government in Beijing to levels not seen in two years, leading to lockdowns in some of the country's most economically important regions and sparking concern about another major shock to a global economy already reeling from high inflation and the war in Ukraine.
- Sinovac's vaccine remains highly effective against severe disease on minors aged 3-5 in Chile: study Global Times 16 Mar 2022 -- A real world study in Chile showed that CronaVac, the Chinese COVID-19 vaccine manufactured by Sinovac, can effectively protect children aged between 3 and 5 from infection, hospitalization and intensive care unit admission amid a rampant wave of the Omicron variant.
- Another COVID-19 oral drug available in HK, expected to lower death rate Global Times 16 Mar 2022 -- The first shipment of the COVID-19 oral medication Paxlovid has been distributed to the Hong Kong Hospital Authority to be used as treatment on Wednesday, while subsequent shipments are due to arrive in the next months.
- 'Fight to the finish': Jilin builds 8 makeshift hospitals, vows to bring outbreak under control ASAP Global Times 16 Mar 2022 -- Northeast China's Jilin Province has built eight makeshift hospitals and two quarantine centers to cope with the surge of COVID-19 cases. The Party chief of the province said that the battle against the Omicron outbreak is at a crucial stage, and asked the province to "race against time" and concentrate all resources to bring the outbreak under control as soon as possible.
- Beijing reports cluster outbreak at school Global Times 16 Mar 2022 -- Beijing reported a cluster outbreak at a primary school infecting students and their family members, with 15 people infected in total. The cases are the Omicron strain and are highly similar to the virus sequences sampled abroad in January 2022.
- Over 3.2 bln COVID-19 vaccine doses administered on Chinese mainland People's Daily 16 Mar 2022 -- Over 3.2 billion COVID-19 vaccine doses had been administered on the Chinese mainland as of Tuesday, data from the National Health Commission showed Wednesday.
- Pandemic restrictions in southern China have 'huge impact' on electronics sector Radio Free Asia 16 Mar 2022 -- Pandemic lockdowns have prompted dozens of factory closures in the southern Chinese city of Shenzhen, as people continue to leave neighboring Hong Kong in droves amid an ongoing COVID-19 wave.
- Chinese vice premier urges Jilin to realize dynamic-zero target soon with proper use of antigen test Global Times 16 Mar 2022 -- The epidemic prevention in Northeast China's Jilin Province is at its toughest moments and the local government must curb the viral spread resolutely and realize the dynamic-zero target as soon as possible, Chinese Vice Premier Sun Chunlan said during her visit to the province on Tuesday, which has seen a record high of over 8,000 cases in half a month. Antigen tests should be properly used to map out the infections, she noted.
- China updates COVID-19 treatment playbook, a further step to a 'scientifically relaxed' anti-epidemic policy, not 'lie flat' Global Times 16 Mar 2022 -- China has updated its diagnosis and treatment playbook for COVID-19, including isolating mild cases rather than taking them to hospitals, changing the criteria for patients to be discharged from hospitals and adding antigen testing for detection.
- China's Jilin Province reports 1,456 new local COVID-19 cases People's Daily 16 Mar 2022 -- Northeast China's Jilin Province, hit hard by the COVID-19 resurgence, registered 1,456 confirmed locally transmitted COVID-19 cases on Tuesday, the local health authority said Wednesday.
- Chinese mainland reports 1,860 new local COVID-19 cases People's Daily 16 Mar 2022 -- The Chinese mainland reported 1,860 new locally-transmitted COVID-19 infections over the past day, down from 3,507 on Monday, the National Health Commission said Wednesday.
- China's Jilin opens 6 temporary hospitals amid COVID-19 resurgence People's Daily 16 Mar 2022 -- China's northeastern Jilin Province, hit hard by the COVID-19 resurgence, has put into use six temporary hospitals, local authorities said Tuesday.
- China will adhere to dynamic zero-COVID policy: health authorities People's Daily 16 Mar 2022 -- China will adhere to its dynamic zero-COVID policy and strategies to tackle both imported and domestic infections, a Chinese health official said at a press conference on Tuesday.
- Dynamic zero-COVID policy working, NHC says People's Daily 16 Mar 2022 -- The latest COVID-19 epidemic, which has affected 28 provincial-level regions, is controllable, and China will continue with its dynamic zero-COVID policy, which has proved to be effective against the highly infectious Omicron variant, the National Health Commission said on Tuesday.
- Mainland support boosts confidence in fighting COVID-19 in Hong Kong People's Daily 16 Mar 2022 -- Hong Kong people are full of gratitude for the central authorities' support for the global financial hub to fight COVID-19, especially under the fifth wave of the epidemic when there is a temporary shortage of supplies and medical staff.
- COVID cases back on rising as European countries relaxes pandemic restrictions People's Daily 16 Mar 2022 -- Some European countries have seen a rising number of COVID-19 infections again after further relaxations of pandemic restrictions. More experts warned of severe consequences if giving up all restrictions too early, especially with the spread of a more transmissible subvariant of omicron.
- WHO Suspends Evaluation of Russian Coronavirus Vaccine Sputnik V Sputnik 16 Mar 2022 -- The World Health Organization has temporarily suspended evaluation of the Russian coronavirus vaccine Sputnik V due to technical difficulties caused by sanctions restrictions, a new date for a visit to Russia will be determined as soon as possible, WHO Assistant Director General Mariangela Simao said at a briefing on Wednesday.
- India's Active caseload declines to 32,811 today; stands at 0.08% of India's total Positive Cases India PIB 16 Mar 2022
- COVID - 19 Vaccination Update - Day 425 India PIB 16 Mar 2022 -- COVID19 Vaccination started for 12-14 yr age group across the country today, as the country observed National Vaccination Day.
- Update on COVID-19 Vaccine Availability in States/UTs India PIB 16 Mar 2022 -- The Union Government is committed to accelerating the pace and expanding the scope of COVID-19 vaccination throughout the country. The nationwide COVID 19 vaccination started on 16th January 2021. The new phase of universalization of COVID-19 vaccination commenced from 21st June 2021. The vaccination drive has been ramped up through availability of more vaccines, advance visibility of vaccine availability to States and UTs for enabling better planning by them, and streamlining the vaccine supply chain.
- COVID-19 UPDATE India PIB 16 Mar 2022
- COVID-19 kills 109 more Iranians over past 24 hours IRNA 16 Mar 2022 -- The number of deaths from the coronavirus pandemic in Iran increased to 139,289 with 109 more Iranians killed by the deadly disease over the past 24 hours, Iran's Health Ministry announced on Wednesday.
- Taiwan reports 90 new COVID-19 cases, including 3 domestic CNA 16 Mar 2022 -- Taiwan reported 90 new COVID-19 cases -- three domestically transmitted and 87 that originated abroad -- and no new deaths from the disease on Wednesday, according to the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC).
- Western countries lift COVID-19 bans amid fluctuation of pandemic People's Daily 16 Mar 2022 -- More than two years into the COVID-19 pandemic, the global infections and deaths have waxed and waned in different parts of the world.
- COVID-19 pandemic pushes 4.7 mln more people in Southeast Asia into extreme poverty: ADB report People's Daily 16 Mar 2022 -- The COVID-19 pandemic pushed 4.7 million people in Southeast Asia into extreme poverty in 2021, as 9.3 million jobs disappeared, compared with a baseline no-COVID scenario, said an Asian Development Bank (ADB) report released on Wednesday.
- New Zealand to Bring Forward COVID-19 Border Reopening VOA 16 Mar 2022 -- New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said her country will soon reopen its borders to tourists as it relaxes its COVID-19 restrictions, bringing forward plans to allow in international travelers after more than two years of border closures.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|