18 January 2022 Security News
Other Security News
COVID-19 Pandemic News
Other Security News
- US House Select Committee Subpoenas Former Trump Lawyers Giuliani, Powell Sputnik 18 Jan 2022 -- The US House Select Committee investigating the events at the Capitol on January 6, 2021, said that it has subpoenaed former Trump attorneys Rudy Giuliani and Sidney Powell.
- National Guard works with partners on winter storm response Army News 18 Jan 2022 -- Hundreds of members of the National Guard assisted state and local officials responding to winter weather over the weekend in multiple states, including Virginia, North and South Carolina and Pennsylvania.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Weekly epidemiological update on COVID-19 - 18 January 2022
- Weekly operational update on COVID-19 - 18 January 2022
- COVID-19: WHO expresses hope worst of Omicron wave is over UN News 18 Jan 2022 -- Omicron continues to sweep the world, but cases seem to have peaked in some countries, which gives the head of the World Health Organization (WHO) hope that the worst of this latest wave of COVID-19 is over.
- DAF COVID-19 Statistics - Jan. 17, 2022 US Air Force 18 Jan 2022
- Minnesota National Guard fills gap amid COVID-19 surge Army News 18 Jan 2022 -- The Minnesota National Guard is supporting new COVID-19 community testing sites in Cottage Grove, Anoka and North Branch.
- White House Launches Website to Order Free At-Home COVID-19 Tests VOA 18 Jan 2022 -- The White House on Tuesday launched a website for U.S. citizens to order free at-home COVID-19 tests one day earlier than the launch was set to go online.
- U.S. braces for harsh weeks as Omicron surge has not yet peaked: Surgeon General People's Daily 18 Jan 2022 -- The United States is bracing for "tough weeks" ahead in many parts of the country as the Omicron surge has not yet peaked, U.S. Surgeon General Vivek Murthy has warned.
- COVID-19 continues to take political, economic toll on U.S. People's Daily 18 Jan 2022 -- Entering its third year in the United States, the COVID-19 pandemic hasn't lost steam but instead screws its grip, causing unfathomable drain in social life and economy, which the federal government has struggled to battle, only to find itself losing ground.
- Hong Kong's leader says probe into COVID-19 party scandal 'isn't over' Radio Free Asia 18 Jan 2022 -- Police in Hong Kong have arrested two former flight attendants with the city's flag-carrier Cathay Pacific for violating quarantine rules, as the city's leader said the government is continuing to investigate a party attended by several high-ranking officials that has been linked to a cluster of COVID-19 cases.
- China curbs nationwide travel surge ahead of Winter Olympics, Lunar New Year Radio Free Asia 18 Jan 2022 -- Authorities in Beijing are imposing curbs on schools and restricting people's travel through mass persuasion, mandatory testing and financial incentives in a bid to contain an outbreak of COVID-19 cases ahead of the 2022 Winter Olympics in Beijing.
- China approves 20:1 pooled sampling approach for mass testing in face of Omicron threat Global Times 18 Jan 2022 -- The State Council has approved a 20:1 pooled sampling approach for mass nucleic acid testing, as the country is facing a head-on challenge from the highly contagious Omicron variant.
- Update: Mail from Canada suspected of spreading COVID-19 with more cases reported in Beijing ahead of the Winter Olympic Games Global Times 18 Jan 2022 -- Mail from Canada is suspected of spreading COVID-19 in Beijing, as two more Omicron cases have been detected as of Tuesday. The local health authorities confirmed one infection of Omicron variant on Monday and another on Tuesday, both in the city's Haidian district.
- Macao tightens epidemic control due to COVID-19 outbreak in neighboring cities People's Daily 18 Jan 2022 -- China's Macao Special Administrative Region (SAR) has tightened epidemic control due to the latest COVID-19 outbreak in the neighboring mainland cities of Zhuhai and Zhongshan.
- Chinese mainland reports 127 locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 18 Jan 2022 -- The Chinese mainland on Monday reported 127 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases, the National Health Commission said in its daily report on Tuesday.
- China Records 171 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 18 Jan 2022 -- China reported 171 new coronavirus (COVID-19) cases.
- Chinese Vice Premier urges quick response of Omicron cluster while inspecting Tianjin Global Times 18 Jan 2022 -- Chinese Vice Premier Sun Chunlan conducted an inspection tour from January 12 to Monday in Omicron-hit Tianjin in North China, and urged local officials to adopt effective measures and quick response to the epidemic.
- Chinese vice premier stresses swift containment of COVID-19 outbreaks People's Daily 18 Jan 2022 -- Chinese Vice Premier Sun Chunlan has stressed quick response and swift containment of cluster COVID-19 cases as the Chinese New Year is approaching.
- Britain reports highest COVID deaths since last February as virus surges across Europe Press TV 18 Jan 2022 -- Britain has recorded 438 new deaths from COVID-19, the highest daily toll since last February, as the coronavirus' Omicron variant spreads fast across Europe.
- Britain Detects 94,432 New Cases of COVID-19 SPA 18 Jan 2022 -- Britain recorded 94,432 new infections of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19), along with 438 deaths in the past 24 hours.
- Germany Records 74,405 COVID-19 Cases SPA 18 Jan 2022 -- Germany recorded 74,405 new novel coronavirus (COVID-19) cases during the past 24 hours, pushing the total number of cases to 8,074,527.
- Almost 150,000 Children in India Lost Parents During COVID-19 Pandemic, Child Rights Watchdog Says Sputnik 18 Jan 2022 -- Almost 150,000 children in India have lost one or both parents during the COVID-19 pandemic, Indian National Commission for the Protection of Child Rights said.
- India's Cumulative COVID-19 Vaccination Coverage exceeds 158.04 Cr India PIB 18 Jan 2022
- COVID - 19 Vaccination Update - Day 368 India PIB 18 Jan 2022 -- India's COVID-19 vaccination coverage has crossed 158
- Update on COVID-19 Vaccine Availability in States/UTs India PIB 18 Jan 2022 -- The Union Government is committed to accelerating the pace and expanding the scope of COVID-19 vaccination throughout the country
- COVID-19 UPDATE India PIB 18 Jan 2022
- India reports 238,018 new COVID-19 cases SPA 18 Jan 2022 -- India reported 238,018 new COVID-19 cases.
- COVID-19 kills 18 more Iranians over past 24 hours IRNA 18 Jan 2022 -- The number of deaths from the coronavirus pandemic in Iran increased to 132,113 with 18 more Iranians killed by the deadly disease over the past 24 hours, Iran's Health Ministry announced on Tuesday.
- S.Korea Records 4,072 New Cases of COVID-19 SPA 18 Jan 2022 -- South Korea recorded 4,072 new cases of COVID-19 in the past 24 hours.
- Japan's Osaka to set new daily record with COVID-19 cases after Okinawa Press TV 18 Jan 2022 -- Japan's Osaka prefecture is set to report a record-high of 6,000 new COVID-19 cases on Tuesday as the union government moves to impose tougher restrictions amid a rapid surge in the Omicron strain.
- Ministry of Health Reports 5,873 New COVID-19 Cases, 4,535 Recoveries in Saudi Arabia SPA 18 Jan 2022 -- The Ministry of Health (MoH) announced the registration of 5,873 confirmed COVID-19 cases and 4,535 recoveries in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia during the past 24 hours.
- Taiwan reports 17 local COVID-19 cases, with source of five unknown CNA 18 Jan 2022 -- Taiwan reported 17 new domestic cases of COVID-19 on Tuesday, of which 12 have been linked to an outbreak in Taoyuan while the source of infection for the other five are currently unknown, according to the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC).
- Taiwan to expand airport COVID testing scheme to more flights CNA 18 Jan 2022 -- Taiwan will expand its current COVID-19 testing scheme, which currently requires passengers arriving on long-haul flights to test negative before clearing immigration, to more flights in the coming days, Health Minister Chen Shih-chung (é™³æ™‚ä¸) said Tuesday.
- Australia suffers deadliest day of pandemic amid rise in Omicron cases Press TV 18 Jan 2022 -- Australia has recorded its highest number of fatalities from COVID-19 amid the rise in cases of the Omicron variant across the country.
- Australia Posts New Record Single-Day COVID Death Toll VOA 18 Jan 2022 -- The fast-spreading omicron variant of the coronavirus in Australia has led to its highest single-day death toll of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Iraq Records 6,487 Cases of COVID-19 SPA 18 Jan 2022 -- Iraq recorded 6487 new cases of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) in the past 24 hours, bringing the total number of inactions to 2.125 million.
- Sudan Records 425 New Cases of COVID-19 SPA 18 Jan 2022 -- Sudan recorded, in the past 24 hours, 425 new infections with the novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), and four deaths as well.
- Kuwait Records 4,825 New Cases of COVID-19 SPA 18 Jan 2022 -- The Kuwaiti Ministry of Health announced the registration of 4,825 new infections with the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) in the past 24 hours, bringing the total number of cases to 475,303.
- UAE Announces 2,792 New COVID-19 cases, 3 deaths in Last 24 Hours SPA 18 Jan 2022 -- The Ministry of Health and Prevention (MoHAP) in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) announced that it conducted 487,749 additional COVID-19 tests over the past 24 hours, using state-of-the-art medical testing equipment, according to WAM News Agency.
- Brazil Records 74,134 New Cases of COVID-19 SPA 18 Jan 2022 -- Brazil recorded 74,134 new infections of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19), along with 121 deaths in the past 24 hours.
- Egypt Records 1,232 New Infections of COVID-19 SPA 18 Jan 2022 -- Egypt recorded 1,232 new infections with the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) and 31 deaths in the past 24 hours.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|