23 September 2021 Security News
Other Security News
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Coronavirus Vaccine Inequity a Focus at UN General Assembly VOA 23 Sep 2021 -- South Africa's President Cyril Ramaphosa, Chad's President Mahamat Idriss Deby and Uganda's President Yoweri Museveni are set to address the U.N. General Assembly on Thursday.
- Latest count of confirmed COVID-19 cases worldwide at 1500 GMT, Sept. 22 People's Daily 23 Sep 2021 -- The following are the latest updates on the COVID-19 global confirmed cases in hardest-hit countries by the Center for Systems Science and Engineering at Johns Hopkins University at 1500 GMT, Sept. 22.
- Mandates Give Rise to Booming Black Market for Fake Vaccine Cards VOA 23 Sep 2021 -- As more businesses, universities, and federal and local governments demand proof of inoculation against COVID-19, the black market for fake vaccine cards appears to be booming.
- Americans React to FDA Decision on COVID-19 Booster Shots VOA 23 Sep 2021 -- Although the FDA announced Wednesday that it would not recommend a third shot of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine for most Americans younger than 65, Mississippi resident Jen Buckley, 50, said she and her husband decided to get their booster doses anyway.
- Florida Changes Quarantine Guidelines for Students Exposed to COVID-19 VOA 23 Sep 2021 -- The southeastern U.S. state of Florida says parents or legal guardians can decide whether or not to quarantine their children if they have been exposed to someone who tested positive for COVID-19.
- China develops new COVID-19 vaccine, 'most effective against virus variants' Global Times 23 Sep 2021 -- Chinese people are about to embrace a new COVID-19 vaccine, which experts predicted could be the most effective developed in China, as the latest research showed 79 percent efficacy against the dominant Delta variant and overall 67 percent efficacy against any variants.
- City in S China's Guangdong begins COVID-19 booster shots for key groups; more cities to follow Global Times 23 Sep 2021 -- The city of Shanwei in South China's Guangdong Province took the lead in giving COVID-19 booster shots to key groups of people aged between 18 and 59 who have been fully inoculated with inactivated vaccines for six months, and more cities are about to follow later this month.
- U.S. COVID-19 daily deaths increase to highest level since March: CNN People's Daily 23 Sep 2021 -- The average number of daily COVID-19 deaths in the United States has increased to its highest level since early March amid a surge of the highly contagious Delta variant.
- Hong Kong reports 2 new imported COVID-19 cases People's Daily 23 Sep 2021 -- Hong Kong's Center for Health Protection (CHP) reported two new imported cases of COVID-19 on Thursday, taking the total tally to 12,169.
- Nearly 2.19 bln COVID-19 vaccine doses administered in China People's Daily 23 Sep 2021 -- Nearly 2.19 billion COVID-19 vaccine doses had been administered in China as of Wednesday, data from the National Health Commission showed Thursday.
- Chinese mainland reports 28 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 23 Sep 2021 -- The Chinese mainland on Wednesday reported 28 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases, the National Health Commission said in its daily report on Thursday.
- China's Harbin ramps up efforts to curb COVID-19 resurgence People's Daily 23 Sep 2021 -- Harbin, capital of northeast China's Heilongjiang Province, has been on high alert after new local COVID-19 infections emerged on Tuesday.
- Hong Kong reports new imported COVID-19 case People's Daily 23 Sep 2021 -- Hong Kong's Center for Health Protection (CHP) reported one new imported case of COVID-19 on Wednesday, taking the total tally to 12,167.
- China's Harbin adds 6 medium-risk COVID-19 areas People's Daily 23 Sep 2021 -- Harbin, capital of northeast China's Heilongjiang Province, has added six medium-risk COVID-19 areas, to take effect from midnight, according to the city's COVID-19 prevention and control headquarters Wednesday.
- EU to Decide on Third COVID-19 Shot in Early October VOA 23 Sep 2021 -- The European Union's drug watchdog said Thursday that it planned to decide in early October whether to approve a third dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine for those over age 16.
- India's Cumulative COVID-19 Vaccination Coverage crosses the landmark of 83 Cr India PIB 23 Sep 2021 -- With the administration of 71,38,205 vaccine doses in the last 24 hours, India's COVID-19 vaccination coverage crossed the landmark of 83Cr (83,39,90,049) as per provisional reports till 7 am today
- COVID-19 Vaccination Update - Day 251 India PIB 23 Sep 2021 -- In a landmark achievement, India's COVID-19 vaccination coverage has crossed 84 Crore landmark milestone (84,08,21,190) today
- Update on COVID-19 Vaccine Availability in States/UTs India PIB 23 Sep 2021 -- The Union Government is committed to accelerating the pace and expanding the scope of COVID-19 vaccination throughout the country
- COVID-19 UPDATE India PIB 23 Sep 2021
- COVID-19 kills 317 more Iranians over past 24 hours IRNA 23 Sep 2021 -- The number of deaths from the coronavirus pandemic in Iran increased to 118,508 with 317 more Iranians killed by the deadly disease over the past 24 hours, Iran's Health Ministry announced on Thursday.
- Iran to receive 10 mln J&J, Pfizer vaccine doses from Belgium Press TV 23 Sep 2021 -- Iranian customs office IRICA say the country will receive 10 million coronavirus vaccine doses manufactured in Belgium under American brands of J&J and Pfizer.
- Taiwan reports nine new COVID-19 cases, zero deaths CNA 23 Sep 2021 -- Taiwan reported nine new COVID-19 cases, all of which were contracted overseas, and zero deaths from the disease on Thursday, according to the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC).
- Lithuania announces second vaccine donation to Taiwan CNA 23 Sep 2021 -- Lithuania announced on Wednesday that it will donate a second batch of 235,900 doses of AstraZeneca vaccine to Taiwan in a gesture that reflects warming ties between the two countries.
- Taiwan's first-dose COVID-19 vaccination rate exceeds 50 percent CNA 23 Sep 2021 -- Over 50 percent of people in Taiwan have received the first dose of a COVID-19 vaccine, six months after the rollout began on March 22, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said Thursday.
- Taiwan eases quarantine rules for visitors from Peru, Bangladesh and Brazil CNA 23 Sep 2021 -- Visitors arriving in Taiwan from Peru, Bangladesh, and Brazil will no longer be required to quarantine at a government center from Sept. 25, and can instead choose to quarantine at hotels, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said Thursday.
- Uganda Extends Vaccination Campaign to Bars, Theaters VOA 23 Sep 2021 -- Uganda is scaling up coronavirus vaccinations with the arrival of another 1.6 million doses from the United States. But with many Ugandans still reluctant to get the shot, the Ministry of Health has taken the unusual move of reaching out to people at bars and entertainment venues.
- Australia Plans to Reopen International Borders by Christmas VOA 23 Sep 2021 -- After more than 18 months of COVID-19 isolation, Australia is preparing to reopen its international borders by Christmas "at the latest." Trade, Tourism and Investment Minister Dan Tehan said some of the world's toughest coronavirus travel restrictions would be relaxed when 80% of Australians are fully vaccinated. From Sydney, Phil Mercer reports.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|