18 August 2021 Security News
Other Security News
- Readout of Secretary Mayorkas's Call with Counterparts from Australia, Canada, New Zealand, and the United Kingdom DHS 18 Aug 2021
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- COVID-19: Funding plea to combat Delta variant, call to suspend booster roll-out UN News 18 Aug 2021 -- During Wednesday's World Health Organization briefing on COVID-19, WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus called for funding to fight the spread of the deadly Delta variant while also asking wealthy countries to suspend plans to provide booster shots.
- First COVID-19 Shots More Important Than Boosters, WHO Says VOA 18 Aug 2021 -- The World Health Organization (WHO) said Wednesday the best way to slow the spread of COVID-19 variants such as the delta strain is to get more initial shots to unvaccinated populations, not booster shots to the fully vaccinated.
- Remarks by President Biden on Fighting the COVID-19 Pandemic The White House 18 Aug 2021
- Biden Announces COVID Vaccine Booster Shots for All Americans VOA 18 Aug 2021 -- U.S. President Joe Biden on Wednesday announced plans to begin offering booster shots for all Americans beginning the week of September 20 and starting eight months after an individual's second dose of the Pfizer or Moderna mRNA vaccines.
- Press Briefing by White House COVID-19 Response Team and Public Health Officials The White House 18 Aug 2021
- Florida County Declares State of Emergency After COVID-19 Spike Prompts Hospital Shortages Sputnik 18 Aug 2021 -- Over the last several weeks, the US has experienced a new spike in COVID-19 cases in the hard-hit states of Texas and Florida. However, the Sunshine State has been placed on another level entirely after becoming the new epicenter of the pandemic within the US, a development that was further bolstered by actions taken by Gov. Ron DeSantis (R).
- Five U.S. states set records for COVID-19 cases as hospitalizations soar People's Daily 18 Aug 2021 -- Five U.S. states set new records for the average number of daily new COVID-19 cases over the weekend as infections caused by the Delta variant overwhelm hospital systems across the country and prompt many states to reinstate public health restrictions, reported CNBC on Monday.
- US records more than 1,000 Covid-19 deaths in single day Press TV 18 Aug 2021 -- The United States has recorded more than 1,000 Covid-19 deaths in a single day, returning to the number previously seen in April.
- Shanghai hospital nurse confirmed as COVID-19 patient, with one community designated as medium-risk area Global Times 18 Aug 2021 -- A nurse from Shanghai Songjiang District Central Hospital was confirmed as having COVID-19 on Wednesday and has been transferred to Shanghai Public Health Clinical Center for quarantine and treatment, the Shanghai Municipal Health Commission announced on Wednesday evening.
- China approves emergency use of Sinopharm COVID-19 vaccine for children aged 3-17 Global Times 18 Aug 2021 -- A COVID-19 vaccine developed and produced by Sinopharm's institute in Wuhan has been approved for emergency use on children aged between 3 and 17 by China's state authority, the China National Biotec Group (CNBG), a subsidiary of Sinopharm, announced via its official WeChat account on Wednesday.
- C China's Hubei Echeng district to include people who do not receive COVID-19 vaccine without reason in personal credit record Global Times 18 Aug 2021 -- The COVID-19 epidemic prevention and control command in Echeng district in Ezhou, Central China's Hubei Province, launched on Sunday the implementation of the COVID-19 vaccination "zero clearing" campaign, requiring all minors between 12 and 17 years old and adults over 18 years old without contraindications to be vaccinated within 10 days, claiming that those who do not have a valid reason to receive the vaccine will damage to their personal in integrity record.
- China exports oxygen to Russia to help treat COVID-19 patients Global Times 18 Aug 2021 -- China on Tuesday exported its first shipment of oxygen to Russia through the largest land border crossing to help treat COVID-19 patients in Russia.
- Over 1.88 bln doses of COVID-19 vaccines administered in China People's Daily 18 Aug 2021 -- A total of over 1.88 billion doses of COVID-19 vaccines had been administered in China as of Tuesday, data from the National Health Commission showed Wednesday.
- China's Zhengzhou downgrades COVID-19 risk level in six areas People's Daily 18 Aug 2021 -- Zhengzhou, the capital city of central China's Henan Province, has lowered the number of areas classified as medium-risk for COVID-19 transmission on Wednesday.
- Chinese mainland reports 6 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 18 Aug 2021 -- The Chinese mainland Tuesday reported six new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases in Jiangsu Province, the National Health Commission said in its daily report Wednesday.
- China's Hunan clears COVID-19 risk areas except Zhangjiajie People's Daily 18 Aug 2021 -- Central China's Hunan Province has downgraded all its medium- or high-risk areas for COVID-19 except those in the city of Zhangjiajie after the province reported no new confirmed cases on Monday, the provincial health authorities said Tuesday.
- Researchers Jailed Over Github Stash of Pandemic Content Banned in China Radio Free Asia 18 Aug 2021 -- Two Chinese researchers who kept an online repository of banned articles on the coronavirus pandemic have been sentenced, then released, by a court in Beijing.
- As Malaysia's surging COVID-19 cases hits chip supply, firms urged to shift production to China Global Times 18 Aug 2021 -- As surging COVID-19 cases in Malaysia disrupted the production of semiconductors and other key components, Chinese experts are suggesting that companies should move certain production lines to the Chinese mainland to ensure the smooth running of their facilities while meeting the huge demand.
- India's Cumulative COVID-19 Vaccination Coverage crossed 56 Cr landmark India PIB 18 Aug 2021 -- India's COVID-19 vaccination coverage crossed 56 Cr landmark yesterday
- COVID-19 Vaccination Update- Day 215 India PIB 18 Aug 2021 -- India has administered more than 56.57 Crore (56,57,32,128) COVID-19 Vaccine doses, as per the 7 pm provisional report today
- COVID-19 Vaccination Update India PIB 18 Aug 2021 -- The Union Government is committed to accelerating the pace and expanding the scope of COVID-19 vaccination throughout the country
- COVID-19 UPDATE India PIB 18 Aug 2021
- WHO expresses concern over COVID19 spread in Iran IRNA 18 Aug 2021 -- The Representative and Head of Mission to the Islamic Republic of Iran of the World Health Organization (WHO) Jaffar Hussain has expressed deep concern over the spread of COVID19 virus in Iran.
- COVID-19 kills 583 more Iranians over past 24 hours IRNA 18 Aug 2021 -- The number of deaths from the coronavirus pandemic in Iran increased to 99,691 with 583 more Iranians killed by the deadly disease over the past 24 hours, Iran's Health Ministry announced on Wednesday.
- Taiwan reports 11 new COVID-19 cases; Taipower cluster grows to 3 CNA 18 Aug 2021 -- The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) on Wednesday reported 11 new COVID-19 cases, including a pregnant woman who works at the headquarters of state-run Taiwan Power Co. (Taipower).
- Latest on pandemic: Many return to life under lockdown as Delta cases edge up Press TV 18 Aug 2021 -- The coronavirus pandemic has killed at least 4,382,528 and infected 208,617,866 people since it first emerged in December 2019, according to Johns Hopkins University.
- Top Muslim Cleric In Uzbekistan Dies Of Complications Caused By COVID-19 RFE/RL 18 Aug 2021 -- Usmonkhon Alimov, Uzbekistan's top Islamic cleric, has died of complications caused by COVID-19 in a Moscow hospital.
- COVID Pandemic Exposes Somalia's Weak Health Care System VOA 18 Aug 2021 -- Rights group Amnesty International says Somalia's struggling health care system has been crippled by the coronavirus pandemic. The group released a report Wednesday titled 'We Just Watched COVID-19 Patients Die.' It calls for urgent investment in Somalia's healthcare sector after years of neglect.
- Myanmar's Elderly COVID-19 Patients Dying Alone at Home During Third Wave Outbreak Radio Free Asia 18 Aug 2021 -- Ye Thurein remembers the first time he led a rescue team to break down the doors of an elderly COVID-19 patient's home in Myanmar's largest city Yangon after a third wave of the coronavirus began to ravage the country in late May amid a shortage of hospital beds and medical supplies.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|