17 August 2021 Security News
Other Security News
- Nigeria Says Taliban Victory Puts Africa in Terror Spotlight VOA 17 Aug 2021 -- With the Taliban's swift takeover in Afghanistan, Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari this week warned that the "war on terror" is not over but is shifting to Africa. Writing in the Financial Times newspaper, Buhari said Africa needs more than U.S. military assistance to defeat terrorism â€“ it needs investment.
- CÃ´te d'Ivoire: Ebola vaccination of high-risk populations begins three days after outbreak declared UN News 17 Aug 2021 -- The vaccination against Ebola of high-risk populations began on Monday in CÃ´te d'Ivoire following the discovery of an outbreak in the country three days ago. The swift response came after vaccines manufactured by Merck, which the World Health Organization (WHO) helped to secure to fight a four-month long outbreak in neighbouring Guinea, were quickly sent to the country.
- People at Risk of Ebola in Ivory Coast Get Vaccinated VOA 17 Aug 2021 -- The World Health Organization has begun giving the Ebola vaccine to high-risk people in Ivory Coast, after a woman was diagnosed with the Ebola virus in Abidjan.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Weekly epidemiological update on COVID-19 - 17 August 2021
- Memorandum on Maximizing Assistance to Respond to COVID-19 The White House 17 Aug 2021
- Air Force update for COVID-19 US Air Force 17 Aug 2021
- New York City Vaccine Mandate Takes Effect VOA 17 Aug 2021 -- New York City's vaccine mandate took effect Tuesday, requiring anyone 12 or older who enters restaurants, fitness centers, entertainment venues and other businesses to show proof of vaccination against COVID-19.
- Americans to Be Urged to Seek COVID 'Booster' Shot VOA 17 Aug 2021 -- U.S. news outlets say the Biden administration will begin urging all Americans who have been fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to get an additional shot. The added dose is intended to offer more protection against the highly contagious delta variant that has led to a wave of new infections.
- Phased progress as Sinopharm speeds up developing Delta-specific vaccines Global Times 17 Aug 2021 -- An institute in Wuhan, under the China National Biotec Group (CNBG), a subsidiary of Sinopharm, has isolated the Delta variant of the novel coronavirus and is accelerating development on Delta-specific vaccines, its director told the media.
- Latest data shows Sinopharm vaccine is safe, effective Global Times 17 Aug 2021 -- Chinese vaccine producer Sinopharm's inactivated COVID-19 vaccine does not increase the risk of thrombosis or thrombocytopenia in recipients and the latest real world data form Argentina shows that the vaccine has an 84 percent death-protection efficacy among people aged 60 and above, according to a statement from China National Biotec Group (CNBG), a subsidiary of Sinopharm.
- China strives to bring current COVID-19 outbreak under control by the end of August: Director of the National Health Commission Global Times 17 Aug 2021 -- With the upcoming return to school and a series of major events to be organized in some provinces in September, Ma Xiaowei, Director of China's National Health Commission, told media on Monday that China will strive to control the current COVID-19 epidemic by the end of August to get life back to normal as soon as possible.
- Over 1.87 bln doses of COVID-19 vaccines administered in China People's Daily 17 Aug 2021 -- More than 1.87 billion doses of COVID-19 vaccines had been administered in China by Monday, the National Health Commission said Tuesday.
- Macao to reopen recreational facilities with eased COVID-19 situation People's Daily 17 Aug 2021 -- The Macao Special Administrative Region (SAR) will reopen certain recreational facilities on Wednesday as the COVID-19 situation in the SAR gradually eased, according to an instruction signed by Chief Executive Ho Iat Seng.
- Hong Kong to tighten COVID-19 quarantine on travelers from 16 countries People's Daily 17 Aug 2021 -- Hong Kong decided on Monday to tighten health quarantine arrangements on inbound travelers from 16 countries to fend off the more infectious Delta coronavirus variant.
- France Battles Soaring COVID-19 Cases in Overseas Territories VOA 17 Aug 2021 -- Like many countries, France is seeing its COVID-19 cases rise â€” and nowhere as sharply as its overseas territories of Guadeloupe and Martinique. Low vaccination rates, fueled by suspicion of Paris, help explain the exploding pandemic in the Caribbean islands.
- India achieves highest ever single day vaccination mark with the administration of more than 88.13 lakh vaccine doses in the last 24 hours India PIB 17 Aug 2021 -- India has administered more than 88.13 lakh doses in last 24 hours under its Nationwide Vaccination drive
- COVID-19 Vaccination Update- Day 214 India PIB 17 Aug 2021 -- In a landmark milestone, India's COVID-19 vaccination coverage has crossed56 Crore (56,00,94,581) landmark milestone,as per the 7 pm provisional report today
- COVID-19 Vaccination Update India PIB 17 Aug 2021 -- The Union Government is committed to accelerating the pace and expanding the scope of COVID-19 vaccination throughout the country
- COVID-19 UPDATE India PIB 17 Aug 2021
- India scales the peak of Highest ever Single Day Vaccination with the administration of more than 88.13 lakh vaccine doses in the last 24 hours India PIB 17 Aug 2021 -- In a landmark achievement, nearly 88 lakh (88,13,919) doses have been administered under the Largest Vaccination Drive yesterday on the 16th of August 2021.
- 4th consignment of Chinese COVID-19 vaccines arrives in Iran IRNA 17 Aug 2021 -- Assistant Foreign Minister and Director General of Asia-Pacific Department said on Tuesday that Iran has received the 4th batch of the Chinese COVID-19 vaccines.
- COVID-19 kills 625 more Iranians over past 24 hours IRNA 17 Aug 2021 -- The number of deaths from the coronavirus pandemic in Iran increased to 99,108 with 655 more Iranians killed by the deadly disease over the past 24 hours, Iran's Health Ministry announced on Tuesday.
- Iran hopes to end fifth wave of coronavirus as hospitalizations flatten Press TV 17 Aug 2021 -- Iranian health ministry officials say they have received reports of flat hospitalization rates in nearly half of 31 provinces as they hope the country could end a fifth wave of coronavirus infections that is causing record number of deaths each day.
- Iran's IRGC, Army, Basij step up efforts to contain COVID surge Press TV 17 Aug 2021 -- Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC), the Army and the Basij volunteer force have pooled their resources to contain the spread of a fifth wave of the COVID-19 pandemic, driven by the delta variant of coronavirus.
- Taiwan reports 18 new COVID-19 cases; 390,000 book Medigen shots CNA 17 Aug 2021 -- The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) on Tuesday reported 18 new COVID-19 cases, and said that over 390,000 people have made appointments to receive Medigen Vaccine Biologics Corp.'s locally developed COVID-19 vaccine.
- Scores of Myanmar Artists, Entertainers, Succumb to COVID Virus Radio Free Asia 17 Aug 2021 -- Pop stars, celebrated comedians, and beloved poets are among 130 Myanmar artists to have died in the third wave of the coronavirus pandemic since the beginning of July â€” deaths that loved ones blame on poor medical treatment in a country in turmoil six months after a military coup.
- Nigeria Begins Second Phase of COVID-19 Vaccinations VOA 17 Aug 2021 -- Nigeria began a second phase of nationwide coronavirus vaccinations Tuesday amid an upsurge in cases of the delta variant.
- SADC Summit Begins in Malawi with Concerns Over COVID-19 Vaccine Hoarding VOA 17 Aug 2021 -- Malawi president Lazarus Chakwera has urged southern African leaders to increase efforts to combat the coronavirus pandemic and called on wealthy nations to stop hoarding vaccine.
- New Zealand Locks Down after One COVID-19 Case VOA 17 Aug 2021 -- New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern put the nation on a three-day lockdown Tuesday after a single case of community-spread COVID-19 was confirmed in Auckland, the country's largest city.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|