16 August 2021 Security News
Other Security News
- UN chief warns of 'global terrorist threat' in Afghanistan, urges protection of rights Press TV 16 Aug 2021 -- United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has warned against the rise of a "global terrorist threat" in Afghanistan following the collapse of the country's government by the Taliban militant group, calling for measure to be taken to guarantee the rights of the entire Afghan people across the country.
- Security Experts Warn Al-Shabab May Try to Emulate Taliban in Somalia VOA 16 Aug 2021 -- The Taliban's swift takeover of Afghanistan has raised concerns that it could encourage other Islamist militant groups around the world, such as al-Shabab in Somalia. Experts warn that when and if international forces there try to hand over security to the Somali government, the world could see a repeat of what happened in Afghanistan.
- CĂ´te d'Ivoire confirms first Ebola case in 25 years UN News 16 Aug 2021 -- A case of Ebola virus has been confirmed in CĂ´te d'Ivoire for the first time since 1994, the country's Ministry of Health has confirmed. The World Health Organization (WHO) is coordinating the delivery of vaccines to the country.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Weekly operational update on COVID-19 - 16 August 2021
- US Customs Seizes Shipments of Fake COVID Vaccination Cards VOA 16 Aug 2021 -- U.S. Customs and Border Protection agents say they have now seized more than 121 shipments containing more than 3,000 counterfeit COVID-19 vaccine cards this year alone.
- U.S. daily COVID-19 cases could exceed 200,000 in coming weeks, warns NIH director People's Daily 16 Aug 2021 -- U.S. COVID-19 cases could break 200,000 a day as the latest surge of the virus driven by the Delta variant is "going very steeply upward with no signs of having peaked out," said National Institutes of Health Director Francis Collins on Sunday.
- US could soon see 200,000 Covid cases a day again: NIH director warns Press TV 16 Aug 2021 -- Covid-19 cases in the United States could soon return to 200,000 a day, the National Institutes of Health (NIH) has warned.
- US Set to Make Decision on COVID Booster Shots VOA 16 Aug 2021 -- The next couple of weeks will tell whether the U.S. will begin to offer coronavirus booster shots to its population, Dr. Francis Collins, the director of the National Institutes of Health, told the television show "Fox News Sunday."
- China sees daily cases fall for 5 days, reaching 'turning point' for latest resurgence Global Times 16 Aug 2021 -- China on Monday saw a fifth day of decreasing daily cases amid the country's latest COVID-19 resurgence. With main epidemic-stricken cities clearing infections or reporting declining numbers of new cases, experts said the latest outbreak, described as the most widespread since last year's outbreak in Wuhan, had reached a turning point and is expected to be tamed by the end of August.
- Shanghai residents expected to access public transportation and venues using a single QR code Global Times 16 Aug 2021 -- Shanghai residents are expected to use a single QR code for public transportation as well as when entering public venues; the city's health QR code and transportation QR codes will be integrated, Shanghai Municipal Transportation Commission announced on Monday.
- Chinese vice premier stresses strict measures against cluster COVID-19 People's Daily 16 Aug 2021 -- Chinese vice premier Sun Chunlan has stressed strict, scientific, and accurate measures to combat cluster COVID-19 infections.
- Over 1.86 bln doses of COVID-19 vaccines administered in China People's Daily 16 Aug 2021 -- Over 1.86 billion doses of COVID-19 vaccines had been administered in China by Sunday, the National Health Commission said Monday.
- Chinese mainland reports 13 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 16 Aug 2021 -- The Chinese mainland on Sunday reported 13 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases, the National Health Commission said in its daily report on Monday.
- Over 1.85 bln doses of COVID-19 vaccines administered in China People's Daily 16 Aug 2021 -- Over 1.85 billion doses of COVID-19 vaccines had been administered in China by Saturday, the National Health Commission said Sunday.
- China aims to balance COVID-19 control, economic growth People's Daily 16 Aug 2021 -- While imposing strict measures including mass testing and widespread travel restrictions to contain the latest Delta variant outbreak, China, the world's second-largest economy, has continued to drive economic growth.
- India's Cumulative COVID-19 Vaccination Coverage exceeds 54.58 Cr India PIB 16 Aug 2021 -- India's COVID-19 vaccination coverage has exceeded 54.58 Cr
- COVID-19 Vaccination Update- Day 213 India PIB 16 Aug 2021 -- In a record-breaking progress, India administered 55 Crore (55,14,89,821) COVID-19 Vaccine doses, as per the 7 pm provisional report today
- COVID-19 Vaccination Update India PIB 16 Aug 2021 -- The Union Government is committed to accelerating the pace and expanding the scope of COVID-19 vaccination throughout the country
- COVID-19 UPDATE India PIB 16 Aug 2021
- COVID-19 kills 655 more Iranians over past 24 hours IRNA 16 Aug 2021 -- The number of deaths from the coronavirus pandemic in Iran increased to 98,483 with 655 more Iranians killed by the deadly disease over the past 24 hours, Iran's Health Ministry announced on Monday.
- Japan PM Extends COVID Emergency as Cases Surge VOA 16 Aug 2021 -- Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga said the COVID-19 state of emergency for Tokyo and several surrounding regions will continue through September 12 rather than expiring at the end of this month after a surge in new cases over the past three days.
- Taiwan records 10 new COVID-19 cases; 240,000 Medigen slots reserved CNA 16 Aug 2021 -- The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said Monday that Taiwan recorded 10 new cases of COVID-19, and that over 240,000 people have made appointments to get a locally produced COVID-19 vaccine next week.
- More Chinese COVID-19 vaccines arrive in Thailand People's Daily 16 Aug 2021 -- Two batches of Chinese COVID-19 vaccines were flown to the Thai capital Bangkok on Sunday, boosting support to the Southeast Asian country's fight against its worst-ever wave of the coronavirus outbreak.
- Pfizer Vaccines from Poland to Boost Australia's Fight Against COVID-19 VOA 16 Aug 2021 -- Poland is selling one million doses of the Pfizer vaccine to boost Australia's comparatively low COVID-19 inoculation rates.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|