10 August 2021 Security News
Other Security News
- Cyber firm claims China hacked Israeli firms; Beijing reacts with criticism Press TV 10 Aug 2021 -- A US-based cybersecurity firm says China's intelligence has most likely been behind a "coordinated" cyberattack against dozens of Israeli organizations, a claim dismissed by Beijing as "baseless" and politically motivated.
- WHO Adviser Says 'Optimistic' Ebola-Like Marburg Virus Outbreak in Guinea Can Be Contained Sputnik 10 Aug 2021 -- There is optimism that medical officials can contain an outbreak of the Ebola-like Marburg virus in the African country of Guinea, where a man recently died of the hemorrhagic fever disease, Robert Steffen, an emeritus professor of epidemiology at the University of Zurich and a frequent adviser to the WHO, said.
- US targets anti-terror resistance groups in Iraq, Syria, Lebanon with new sanctions Press TV 10 Aug 2021 -- The US State Department has imposed a new round of sanctions on resistance groups in Iraq Syria and Lebanon, in what appears to be a sign of Washington's anger over the successful role they have been playing in the fight against foreign-sponsored terror outfits in the two Arab countries.
- Memorandum on Continuation of U.S. Drug Interdiction Assistance to the Government of Colombia The White House 10 Aug 2021
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Weekly epidemiological update on COVID-19 - 10 August 2021
- Remarks by President Biden Before a Briefing from the FEMA Administrator, Homeland Security, and COVID-19 Response Teams The White House 10 Aug 2021
- Air Force update for COVID-19 US Air Force 10 Aug 2021
- Governors, Local Officials in Mask Mandate Tug-of-War VOA 10 Aug 2021 -- Two school districts in Texas are defying an order issued by Governor Greg Abbott that prohibits local governments from issuing face mask mandates as the southwestern U.S. state faces a dramatic surge of new COVID-19 infections.
- Services Will Make Call on Religious Exemptions to COVID-19 Vaccines DoD News 10 Aug 2021 -- In a memorandum released yesterday, the secretary of defense explained how he will ensure the continued health and safety of the U.S military through the use of the available COVID-19 vaccines.
- Delta variant fuels US pandemic; southern states nearly out of ICU beds Press TV 10 Aug 2021 -- The rapid spread of the Delta variant of COVID-19 has pushed cases and hospitalizations in the United States to a six-month high, with southern states like Arkansas saying they are nearly out of intensive care unit beds.
- Facebook Takes Down Anti-Vax Hoax Network 'Primarily Conducted From Russia' RFE/RL 10 Aug 2021 -- Facebook announced on August 10 that it had shut down a network of dozens of Facebook and Instagram accounts from Russia with connections to a marketing group that was trying to enlist social-media "influencers" to push false claims about COVID-19 vaccines.
- Readout of President Joseph R. Biden, Jr. Call with Governor Asa Hutchinson of Arkansas The White House 10 Aug 2021
- COVID-19 resurgence in China sees 100 daily cases again after half year, to be controlled 'before end of August' Global Times 10 Aug 2021 -- Amid the latest COVID-19 outbreaks fueled by the Delta variant, China's locally transmitted COVID-19 cases reached 108 on Monday, the first time to exceed 100 new local cases on a single day in more than six months.
- Over 1.79 bln doses of COVID-19 vaccines administered in China People's Daily 10 Aug 2021 -- Over 1.79 billion doses of COVID-19 vaccines had been administered in China by Monday, the National Health Commission said Tuesday.
- Chinese mainland reports 108 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 10 Aug 2021 -- The Chinese mainland on Monday reported 108 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases, including 50 in Jiangsu Province, 37 in Henan, 15 in Hubei and six in Hunan, the National Health Commission said in its daily report on Tuesday.
- Over 70 million doses of COVID-19 vaccines administered in Hubei People's Daily 10 Aug 2021 -- A total of about 70.59 million COVID-19 vaccine doses have been administered in central China's Hubei Province, local authorities said on Tuesday.
- China works to make COVID-19 vaccines more available in developing countries People's Daily 10 Aug 2021 -- China has been striving to make COVID-19 vaccines more available in developing countries, and has already provided more than 770 million doses of vaccines and concentrates to the world.
- Germany's COVID-19 Vaccine Program Has Slowed Dramatically, Merkel Says VOA 10 Aug 2021 -- German Chancellor Angela Merkel said Wednesday Germany has fallen behind other European countries in its COVID-19 vaccination efforts, and with new infections on the rise, the government must take steps to speed up the program or run the risk of seeing its health care system overwhelmed.
- COVID-19 Vaccination Update India PIB 10 Aug 2021 -- The Union Government is committed to accelerating the pace and expanding the scope of COVID-19 vaccination throughout the country
- COVID-19 UPDATE India PIB 10 Aug 2021
- COVID-19 kills 508 more Iranians over past 24 hours IRNA 10 Aug 2021 -- The number of deaths from the coronavirus pandemic in Iran increased to 95,111 with 508 more Iranians killed by the deadly disease over the past 24 hours, Iran's Health Ministry said on Tuesday.
- Taiwan sees single-digit COVID-19 case numbers for third straight day CNA 10 Aug 2021 -- Taiwan on Tuesday reported eight new cases of COVID-19, marking the third consecutive day of a single-digit case count, according to the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC).
- More Moderna jabs to be released for frontline medical workers CNA 10 Aug 2021 -- Another 44,000 doses of the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine will be allocated to Taiwan's mix-and-match vaccine program, allowing more frontline medical workers who have received an AstraZeneca jab to get the two doses required to be fully inoculated, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said Tuesday.
- United States Announces More than $50 million in Humanitarian Assistance for the People of Burma and $5 million in COVID-19 Assistance for Thailand US Dept. of State 10 Aug 2021 -- Today, during an official visit to Thailand, U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Linda Thomas-Greenfield announced that the United States is providing more than $50 million in critical humanitarian assistance to the people of Burma, including those forced to flee violence and persecution.
- Rights groups say Myanmar military attacking medics, hindering COVID-19 response Press TV 10 Aug 2021 -- Rights groups say Myanmar's military has killed more than two dozen medics and carried out hundreds of attacks against health workers in order to hamper the response to a resurgent outbreak of COVID-19 amid ongoing turmoil across the Southeast Asian country.
- COVID-19 Outbreak in Australia Worsens VOA 10 Aug 2021 -- Australia's New South Wales state reported another 356 new COVID-19 infections Tuesday.
- Australian Experts Call for Tougher Sydney COVID-19 Lockdown VOA 10 Aug 2021 -- A leading epidemiologist and an adviser to the World Health Organization is calling for a nighttime curfew and daily testing for workers to bring Sydney's COVID-19 outbreak under control.
- Vietnam Punishes Critics of Government's COVID-19 Response Radio Free Asia 10 Aug 2021 -- Authorities in Vietnam have arrested a Facebook user for posting mild criticism of government COVID-19 policies, while a university fired a lecturer after a student shared on her comments faulting Hanoi's pandemic response on the social media platform.
- COVID-19 Cases in Israel Rise Despite Third Shot for Those Over 60 VOA 10 Aug 2021 -- The U.S. Centers for Disease Control has just added Israel, the West Bank and the Gaza Strip to its list of places where travel is not recommended because of growing rates of COVID-19. On Monday, for the first time since February, Israel documented just under 6,000 new cases, almost 400 of them serious. The increase comes despite Israel's decision to give a third vaccination to all adults over 60.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|